Check out this new book starring mikromedia boards

Here you can find latest news on mikroElektronika products.
Author
srdjan.misic
mikroElektronika team

#1 Post by srdjan.misic » 18 Mar 2014 18:52

Want to get more ideas and learn more on how to use our mikromedia boards?
Try this newly released book about User Interface Design for Embedded Applications by our long time
friend and supporter Lucio Di Jasio.

Our friend Lucio Di Jasio is one of those people that make you feel humble about your own to-do list.
Here's a guy who works in management (Microchip's business development for Europe), flies a plane,
maintains a blog, and then somehow finds even more time to write a full-length book.

Lucio has been collecting ideas and creating projects using mikromedia boards for the past five years,
and the result is this 290 page book titled "Graphics, Touch, Sound and USB". The book is comprised
of 8 chapters of gradually increasing complexity taking readers through a number of projects that explore
the multimedia capabilities of mikromedia for PIC24
(with PIC32 coming soon). The author promises a hands on learning experience:

"In the book you will learn how to interface to color graphics displays (TFT), read touch screen inputs
to design compelling graphical user interfaces for your embedded control applications.

You will use sound to provide quality audible feedback. You will learn how to store and retrieve data
(fonts, audio, images…) from serial Flash devices and microSD cards. And of course, you will expand
your connectivity options to include Full Speed USB and to communicate with personal computers
and other devices. By learning how to leverage two USB classes in particular, HID and CDC, you will
avoid most of the USB unnecessary complexity and get straight to address the two most common
use cases in embedded control."

You can order the book from here, for more details about it, visit Lucio's blog

Yours sincerely,
MikroElektronika

hexreader

Re: Check out this new book starring mikromedia boards

#2 Post by hexreader » 18 Mar 2014 19:33

Lucio Di Jasio is the greatest PIC-oriented author who ever lived. I bought two "flying" books already, and loved both.

MikroE is the greatest development board company ever.

How about you guys getting together and coming to some agreement please?

I would like to buy Lucio's new book from microE site along with my next development board. Not from some unknown, untrusted site.

Any hope of this happening please?

Or am I asking too much?

Even if I don't get my wish, thanks go to both Lucio and to mikroE for improving my life. Thanks.
Start every day with a smile...... (get it over with) :)

Trewalker

#3 Post by Trewalker » 18 Mar 2014 19:40

hexreader wrote:Not from some unknown, untrusted site.
Lulu is legit. I believe authors go through them to bypass publishers, and also it's a print on demand.

Toley

#4 Post by Toley » 18 Mar 2014 20:18

Did he used MikroElektronika's compiler to write this book ?
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

luciodj

#5 Post by luciodj » 19 Mar 2014 22:01

Wow, guys, I am so thankful for the presentation, and so flattered by your comments!
(Now, how much did I promise I would pay hexreader for that? :D )

Seriously, Lulu.com is an honest "print on demand" site, and as you correctly pointed out, it is one way to escape the tyranny of the major publishing houses. Self publishing is definitely the way of the future. Soon Amazon will start carrying the book too, although
they will demand a premium (i.e. no 20% discount on the cover price…)

The real benefit for me was to get more control over the book layout, avoid giving away my copyrights and the flexibility to post new editions in days rather than months/years.

The benefits to you is a considerably reduced cover price and very fast delivery world wide (printing happens in Europe for European customers, the US for US customers etc) without compromises in quality.

Selling the book directly on MIkroE online shop is a great idea and we are working on it!

Great question from Toley too. I do always use the standard (free) MCHP toolchain in my books.
As you know though, it is easy to port my code to MikroE compilers and in fact, often that means that it gets simpler once you start using the MikroE libraries too…

The Microchip LIbrary of Applications (MLA) is at the core of THIS book in particular. It is a relatively large set of libraries covering PIC18, PIC24, dsPIC and PIC32 at once) and I know how hard it is to familiarise with. I received countless emails from my previous readers asking me to help with it. Now I did my best to present the libraries one at a time, avoiding as much as possible all the lateral connections and interdependencies….
That was actually the hardest part of the whole project, along with, of course trying to keep it entertaining as much as possible.
You will be the judges…

Thanks and clear skies!

Toley

#6 Post by Toley » 20 Mar 2014 00:10

Hi Lucio it's a pleasure to see you on this forum cause you are a kind of legend in the world of self-learning microcontroller fans.

I'm ordering your book right away. I wish you sell a lot of them and continue to give us those wonderfull learning opportunities.
Serge T.

Toley

#7 Post by Toley » 25 Mar 2014 21:51

I already receive the book, too soon for a review but at first sight it looks very well written and full of information.
Serge T.

Return to “Product Announcements”