Activation key

General discussion on mikroBasic.
Author

Activation key

#1 Post by Bernard » 16 Sep 2007 10:22

I have bought a new PC under win XP and installed mB V5.0.0.2 after downloading it from MIKROE then requested a new activation key (generated from the new PC) using another PC connected to the web (the new one cannot be connected to the web). I paid the full licence for the mB V.4.0.3 (which is working on the PC connected to the web) but still get the demo limit after executing the received activation key on the new PC. I intend to unistall the V4 after V5 is fully working (V4 is not installed on the new PC).... is there something wrong ?

Charlie

#2 Post by Charlie » 16 Sep 2007 14:28

Hi Bernard,

The activtion key only works on the computer you requested it on.So in order for the new key to work on the new computer you have to request it from the new computer.
Regards Charlie M.

novak
mikroElektronika sales

Activation key

#3 Post by novak » 17 Sep 2007 11:21

Hi Bernard,

It is important that you generate request for license key on the comuter that you will use for programming.
Generated text you can send from any computer that is connected on the web.

dhouston

#4 Post by dhouston » 17 Sep 2007 12:09

You really should make this clear up front. I would have preferred to install on a PC that has no Internet connection and no email but it was not clear to me that I could generate the required hardware profile on one machine and then email it from another so I used a machine that does have Internet and email.

Copy'nPaste

#5 Post by Copy'nPaste » 17 Sep 2007 13:32

Well, maybe prospective buyers should use the search button :)
And to repeat, you can install mE on a removable storage device, and carry it from pc to pc :D
"Copy'nPaste"

dhouston

#6 Post by dhouston » 17 Sep 2007 17:01

Copy'nPaste wrote:Well, maybe prospective buyers should use the search button
So what search terms should a prospective buyer use? And where should they search for these search terms? Smart-assed non-answers from not-so-smart know-it-all-jerks are really not helpful.

BTW, many forums allow users to create Ignore Lists so they don't have to deal with such jerks. I suggest mE should consider this.

Many software companies restrict use to one person per license at any one time but do not require a separate license for each machine. Companies that employ multiple programmers seldom cheat on this as they understand the potential downside. So it's usually only individuals who are physically incapable of using multiple copies at the same time who are penalized. I have no problem with mE choosing to license in this way, with the license tied to a specific machine, but am merely suggesting it should be clear up front on the web pages that list the various products and packages. I bought the EasyStart 1 kit - PIC and was surprised to learn of the license restrictions only after delivery. There's nothing to suggest it on this page...

Copy'nPaste

#7 Post by Copy'nPaste » 17 Sep 2007 19:11

Hi dhouston, in your quote of my post, you left out the smiley :(
And btw, I've never given myself out as "smart", and oh, the keyword "license" in the search bar only brings up five pages of hits.......

My last post on this subject, sorry :lol:
"Copy'nPaste"

dhouston

#8 Post by dhouston » 17 Sep 2007 20:19

Copy'nPaste wrote:Hi dhouston, in your quote of my post, you left out the smiley
Which was most definitely not an oversight! I have little patience with puerile nitwits.

robparker

#9 Post by robparker » 17 Sep 2007 22:34

I don't think mE have a problem generating you another key if you need it for your other machine(s?) - they have generated several for me (desktop, and two laptops) without any problem at all (which is great!).

Not really much of a reason to get too worried or angry, I'm sure mE will sort your problems out.

xor

#10 Post by xor » 17 Sep 2007 23:18

We have been working with mE directly for a couple years now with regard to software licensing, and I believe that you will find them very flexible and understanding to the customer's needs.
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#11 Post by zristic » 18 Sep 2007 10:20

dhouston,

There are many ways you can contact us in order to find out what you need:
1. Write email to support@mikroe.com
2. Create support query on our ticket system: http://www.mikroe.com/en/support/
3. Ask here, on the forum
4. Contact our distributor in your area: http://www.mikroe.com/en/distributors/

We are willing to assist you with any problem you have with our products. There is no need that you feel unsatisfied.

dhouston

#12 Post by dhouston » 18 Sep 2007 13:42

zristic wrote:There is no need that you feel unsatisfied.
Zoran, I'm not feeling unsatisfied (except for the missing bootloader and lack of a forum Ignore List). I'm merely saying that you should make clear at the point of purchase that the activation key is tied to the specific hard disk used in creating the text file, thus eliminating all confusion. As a matter of fact, the way you do it now, after the purchase, may even invalidate the terms of your license in some jurisdictions.

Since a bootloader is crucial to about half of my PIC projects, I haven't bothered to activate µB although I did receive the activation key. CircuitEd has been quite responsive and, should the next release with bootloader ever condense, I'll probably email Warren to see about moving things to my preferred machine.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#13 Post by zristic » 18 Sep 2007 13:50

dhouston wrote: I'm merely saying that you should make clear at the point of purchase that the activation key is tied to the specific hard disk used in creating the text file, thus eliminating all confusion
Have you read this page:
http://www.mikroe.com/en/compilers/mikr ... gister.htm
except for the missing bootloader
mikroBasic is perfectly capable of having a bootloader. The reason why it is not included in the release is that we simply did not have time to finish our version of the bootloader. This, however, does not mean that you cannot write one of your own.

By the way, the incoming release will have a full source free bootloader.

dhouston

#14 Post by dhouston » 18 Sep 2007 16:17

Yes, I read that page but only found it after ordering.

Had I realized that the license was restricted to a single machine and that there was no bootloader I would not have ordered.

dhouston

#15 Post by dhouston » 18 Sep 2007 16:21

zristic wrote:This, however, does not mean that you cannot write one of your own.
Obiously, I've made a huge mistake in wasting my money with your company.

Return to “mikroBasic General”