Help: Altering the existing font "Character8x7" for GLCD to make a Degree-Symbol

General discussion on mikroBasic PRO for PIC.
Author

Help: Altering the existing font "Character8x7" for GLCD to make a Degree-Symbol

#1 Post by chris11jed » 08 Oct 2020 02:37

Hello,

I am talking about the GLCD and GLCDFont Libraries.

Where is the @Character8x7 module stored?

I want to make a copy of it and add a Degree Symbol ( ° ) if that's possible.

I do have the GLCD Font Creator, but I hate it with a passion as I can never get the thing to properly work (yes, it's correctly installed).... I just find it really unintuitive to use ...and when I go to "Import an existing System Font", that doesn't work with the GLCD.

I'd much rather just see the @Character8x7 code, like bring that up as a module or something in my project(s), see how the characters in that font are arranged into byte-arrays, see how they configures the bits to make-up a number or letter, and then add in my own on an unused or existing usable entry (say, the 'DEL' '127' character, I rewrite the byte-array for that into a Degree Symbol).

I've tried a lot of things as work-arounds, but nothing shows up on the GLCD.

And when I have used the Font Creator, making a new character which should be a degree-symbol, the font either displays wrong, or not at all.

Also, I've tried using the ASCII Chart (176)-being the degree symbol, or close enough to what I want, but without any success.

Can someone please help?

I'm using the PIC18F87K22, on EasyPIC PRO V7, with the GLCD, GLCD+GLCD-Fonts in library and have set the font as @Character8x7

Is there a way to make the GLCD display a degree Symbol ( ° )??????
More so, where is this font stored? And can I copy and alter it for my purpose of getting a degree symbol to display on the GLCD?

Thanks
Chris

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: Help: Altering the existing font "Character8x7" for GLCD to make a Degree-Symbol

#2 Post by filip » 08 Oct 2020 09:34

Hi,

I believe I have answered you here :
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=77311

Regards,
Filip.

chris11jed

Re: Help: Altering the existing font "Character8x7" for GLCD to make a Degree-Symbol

#3 Post by chris11jed » 08 Oct 2020 09:52

Hi Filip,

For me, this link links back to this post.

But I know the reply you meant, and have successfully tried out your suggestions. Thanks again for that.

Just in case anyone else is wondering what your reply was, I'll copy/paste the gist of it below:
The degree symbol is on the 248th place in this font, you may write it as :

Code: Select all

Glcd_Write_Char(248,  48, 1, 2)
You may see other character positions like this :

Code: Select all

dim i as word
dim txt as string[5]
for i = 0 to 1023
  Glcd_Write_Char(i,  48, 1, 2)
  WordToStr(i, txt)
  Glcd_Write_Text(txt,  60, 1, 2)
  delay_ms(1000)
  Glcd_Fill(0x00)
next i
The font is defined in the Glcd library for which we don't share the source code due to the company's policy.

Regards,
Filip.
Again, thank you for your time Filip :D 8)

Chris

Return to “mikroBasic PRO for PIC General”