MikroC Pro - Abandonware?

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

MikroC Pro - Abandonware?

#1 Post by davegsm82 » 19 May 2023 16:31

Apologies if this has been gone over before, but is MikroC Pro no longer supported? Are there no more updates?

I've been away from the scene and programming in general for a couple of years and wanted to program a 16F18846, noticed that there's no update past 7.6.0 and the device isn't supported.

I've seen mention of NECTO, but... NECTO is a subscription... I don't want to subscribe to ANYTHING. I want a compiler like MikroC Pro, that I pay for once, not forever.

I don't get on well with MPLAB, I've always loved MikroE Environment. What is everyone else doing?

Dakta

Re: MikroC Pro - Abandonware?

#2 Post by Dakta » 20 May 2023 06:35

I don't know if it's been discussed elsewhere but I'm of the same mind, it does look like necto has killed off the MikroC traditional compilers and that's a shame.

I've bought a few of the Mikroc compilers for PIC 8 bit, 32bit etc and they do absolutely everything I need, whilst I'm not against subscription models as I know companies need a constant revenue stream, the use case and amount of development I do would be such that if forced to a subscription model I'd just abandon the game as it wouldn't be viable. A one off purchase is easier to justify.

Personally I wouldn't expect to see any updates as its probbaly intended to push people towards the newer compilers - it doesn't make sense to keep updating the older programs if you've released something new - the good news is whilst it might not support newer devices it does still support a lot of devices so I've not struggled to find a chip to do what I need yet.

If my hunch is right though I will miss it, because even though its now quite old software I've always liked using it - not to sound sentimental but I don't want or need to change.

janni

#3 Post by janni » 20 May 2023 16:54

Dakta wrote:
20 May 2023 06:35
... it does look like necto has killed off the MikroC traditional compilers and that's a shame.
Yes, that's exactly what happened.
filip wrote:
16 Dec 2019 15:56
The PRO compilers not included in NECTO Studio will have their regular updates until they become a part of the NECTO. Studio.

After that, it will not be recommended to use PRO compilers, although we will keep them alive for some time.

Regards,
Filip.
In fact, no updates to any PIC compilers were issued after 2019. All effort has been concentrated on NECTO (over 30 updates so far) though its popularity, judging by the number of views of update announcements, seems to drop rather than increase. Some time ago mE's management even decided to drop prices of all AI compilers that come with NECTO to zero (for noncommercial use) but to no apparent effect (well, it could have made those that payed full price earlier a bit unnerved).
davegsm82 wrote:
19 May 2023 16:31
I don't get on well with MPLAB, I've always loved MikroE Environment. What is everyone else doing?
Those that needed to use newer processors have apparently moved to other compilers (NECTO is also no solution). MPLAB may not be the best environment but at least it's usually up to date on new Microchip processors. Activity on PRO compilers forums drastically dropped in recent years so probably a lot of users moved elsewhere and don't look back to share their experience.

hexreader

#4 Post by hexreader » 20 May 2023 17:14

I moved to MPLABX, XC8, XC32 for newer processors

It was a painful move, but starting to get the hang of it now. Happy to help others with MPLABX migration if I can

I miss mikroE tools, and still use them for older processors, but I am finding it less useful as time passes

Necto is maybe OK, but definitely not worth the learning curve comparing to just moving to MCHP tool chain. At least Necto is free to hobbyists now, but still not worth the effort IMHO

I really love easyPIC v7a and all of the generation 7 hardware. I do not like generation 8 hardware which seems to be high price (admittedly most electronics is high price now) for not as good IMHO

I feel very sorry for anyone using BASIC, PASCAL languages, or AVR MCUs. These appear to have been abandoned many years ago

I will probably return to mikroE tool chain when all PIC18 Q series are fully supported, but I hold out no hope of that ever happening.

Sad....

On a more positive note - I do wish mikroE company well, and hope that they are a commercial success with newer customers than me.
MikroE have wonderful people working within the company and deserve to do well
My past experiences have been amazing, and highly motivating
Last edited by hexreader on 23 May 2023 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
Start every day with a smile...... (get it over with) :)

XMAJ

#5 Post by XMAJ » 21 May 2023 11:15

Hi All,

I have the same issue - I need to use PIC16F18424 and PIC18F24Q10 and PIC16F15255 none of which are supported in the latest version of MicroC.
This also seems to be true for MicroProg.

I have used MPLABX before and already abandoned it because its horrible.
I have no interest in anything cloud based and subscription based either - tend to be expensive rubbish based on what I have seen before.
As I have the dongle for MikroC I would like to be able to use that for my firmware engineering on PICs.

Is it just a case of creating the device files for the missing devices manually based on their data sheets? I know its a bit of a long-winded annoying task but at least it would keep the show on the road.
Not sure how to get MikroProg to support them though? Anyone know what would work?

Bill Legge

#6 Post by Bill Legge » 22 May 2023 08:43

Hexreader
I wondered where you had got too!
Miss your assistance on the PIC32 Compiler forum.
I think MikroElektronica have made a fortune on the idea of the microBUS format and products and well done to them! But it's meant less effort on the compilers.
Best of luck with the Microchip/MPLABx and so on. I have used it but got fed up with the complication of HARMONY and other tools.
I found the book 'Programming 32-bit Microcontrollers in C' by Lucio Di Jasio excellent.

Regards Bill Legge in Australia

hexreader

#7 Post by hexreader » 22 May 2023 09:36

I use the free versions of MPLABX compilers. Lacks optimisation, but good enough for hobby use.

I mostly avoid Harmony, as do many MCHP programmers. I write my own functions for LCD, I2C, UART etc
More effort, but satisfying, and I can usually find someone else's function as a basis for mine.
A common trick is to use Harmony to create a function, then copy parts of the generated code as a basis for a Harmony-free project

For really simple projects - I quite like PICAXE. Limited, but super-simple to code

Bill Legge

#8 Post by Bill Legge » 24 May 2023 10:45

Interested in your switch to the Microchip compilers and using MPLABX.
I'm interested in doing the same - my PIC32 post/query has gone unanswered for days and I think the Mikro Forum is dying slowly.
I've had excellent help and advice form the Microchip forums (despite their number).
Any chance you could send me a function or two that you have developed - LCD, UART etc?
I'd like to see how difficult they are to write. If you do not want to release your code - I understand.
Use is hobby private only.

hexreader

#9 Post by hexreader » 24 May 2023 11:15

Always happy to share any and all code that I have written. I make no claims to anything original that I write.

I worry a little that I might accidentally publish somebody else's code inadvertently (maybe even some of yours), so I will spend a little time checking anything I give out.

Turns out that I have very little MPLAB code for PIC32 and NO LCD code for PIC32
mikroE tools are still very good for PIC32 - a little bit of good news for ME :)

Tell me your preferred PIC32 and preferred PIC32 development board and I will knock up some MPLAB code for LCD for you. Shouldn't take long.

Will post PIC18Q code in due course.

In the mean time, attached is the little bit of PIC32 code that I have.
Attachments
Bill.zip
(787.99 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

hexreader

#10 Post by hexreader » 24 May 2023 12:01

... and here is a load of random MPLABX code

Hopefully I have removed anything based on other peoples code, but please take care with anything that contains Microchip code.

Not sure if this code will be of much use, but here it is anyway:
Attachments
PIC18F26Q10.zip
(412.35 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
PIC18F16Q41.zip
(5.84 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
PIC18F16Q40.zip
(5.42 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

hexreader

#11 Post by hexreader » 24 May 2023 12:02

Some more junk:
Attachments
PIC18F47Q43.zip
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 25 times
PIC18F27Q43.zip
(3.65 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

hexreader

#12 Post by hexreader » 24 May 2023 12:04

and more...
Attachments
PIC18F47Q10.zip
(6.36 MiB) Downloaded 25 times

hexreader

#13 Post by hexreader » 24 May 2023 12:04

Last two
Attachments
PIC18F47Q84.zip
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
PIC18F47Q83.zip
(667.72 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

janni

#14 Post by janni » 24 May 2023 12:42

XMAJ wrote:
21 May 2023 11:15
Is it just a case of creating the device files for the missing devices manually based on their data sheets? I know its a bit of a long-winded annoying task but at least it would keep the show on the road.
Yes, it's possible to write definition files for the processors you listed, and both compiler and software debugger will work with them. mE libraries that do not depend on hardware will work as well, but the hardware-sensitive ones may not. And yes, manually writing the definition files requires care and a lot of patience. It'd be easier with the PIC16F1xxx processors as there are definition files for similar ones.
Not sure how to get MikroProg to support them though? Anyone know what would work?
I don't think anybody but the developers may do it.

Bill Legge

Re: MikroC Pro

#15 Post by Bill Legge » 27 May 2023 09:30

hexreader - thanks very much.
Spent a day trying to get my ICD3 to talk to the latest MPLABX (6.10 I think).
Gave up and am using 5.9 and ordered anew PICkit4 programmer.

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC General”