problem with spontaneously changing configurations

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

problem with spontaneously changing configurations

#1 Post by jpc » 21 Jun 2011 16:55

occasionally i have been confronted with damaged configuration settings, as far as i remember in the PIC and dsPIC Pascal compilers for sure , possibly all compilers are suffering from this problem. This seems to happen when changing project but i can not provide a scenario that will reproduce this problem on demand. As this is not always visible ( some applications seem to work ok if for example only the clock-rate is wrong) i decided to set the project.cfg file to read-only. It was after doing so that i noticed this file is rewritten quite often, to start with on each build of the project and after consulting the project-configuration even if nothing has been changed. Now i get each time the message "failed to save settings to cfg file" but it seems at least to be safer, i would be happy though if this would be fixed in a future release as it makes modifications rather elaborate.
Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

janni

Re: problem with spontaneously changing configurations

#2 Post by janni » 21 Jun 2011 18:57

jpc wrote:It was after doing so that i noticed this file is rewritten quite often, to start with on each build of the project and after consulting the project-configuration even if nothing has been changed.
Certainly, saving configuration on every build is not a reasonable action :( .

I also encountered sporadic unexplained changes to configuration settings. I do save the configuration as a scheme, which helps, but only if one spots the problem on time. Otherwise one may spend a lot of time trying to find out what's wrong. Incompatibility of older schemes v. 4.80 beta doesn't help :( .

jpc

#3 Post by jpc » 21 Jun 2011 19:14

one observation i made and should have mentioned right away is that the configuration in those cases seems ( i will try to log them from now on) to revert to the default configuration.
I have one specific project (18f87j60) that i do build very often, it uses PLL on the oscillator and this allways falls back to HS resulting in ( as first indication ) sluggish ethernet comms followed by failing Uart comms as the baudrate is 1/4 of what it should be. It might be of help if some more people would log these occurrances ( please report only real cases where you are absolutely sure you cannot have accidentially messed up the config yourself) It is definitely a rare problem , real however.

sasa72

#4 Post by sasa72 » 22 Jun 2011 05:01

I have notice the same problem occasionally. Unless old configuration for the project will not always work with new version of compiler (nor re import it automatically), saving it sometimes makes different problem mentioned in this threat.

This perhaps is a place for a suggestion which potentially would solve both problems. The core of suggestion is that compiler makes few lines of compiler directives set for specific project in the beginning of main project source unit, similar to Delphi's Ctrl-O.

AFAIK, Microchip ASM and HiTECH C compilers makes the similar purpose code in the source.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by filip » 22 Jun 2011 09:58

Hi,

First of all, I apologize for this strange and unpleasant issue.
We have put this part of the IDE under revision, so I expect this will be solved.

Thank you for your contribution in resolving this issue.

Regards,
Filip.

jpc

#6 Post by jpc » 22 Jun 2011 11:06

i do not know if this is relevant but i noticed that when starting the IDE the cfg-file is also immediately written, this does not make sense to me, the project is not even opened at this point.

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Beta Testing”