Editor Improvment

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

Editor Improvment

#1 Post by dennis-mclean » 13 Jun 2005 23:08

I have a small nag I think would be a nice to have:
In the code editor there is a "Find Declaration" and this is most useful however I would like to have a "Back" so I can return to where I invoked the "Find Declaration" from.
DPM

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Editor Improvment

#2 Post by zristic » 14 Jun 2005 08:04

It is a lot of coding for that little comfort.

You can use bookmarks (CTRL+SHIFT+number and CTRL+Number) for easier navigation. Once you get used to it, you can't live without it.

powerfinger

#3 Post by powerfinger » 25 Jan 2006 14:57

Hi zristic,

I tend to be using bookmarks quite a bit, I'm probably not the sharpest guy around, and have a hard time remembering both these keyboard shortcuts (as they are typically not windows standard key combinations).

Would it be possible to add a "bookmarks" toolbar? Like 8 buttons labelled 1 to 8, and a "set" button.

I hate to keep searching the help-files when I need to figure out a new key-combo, if there were a toolbar to invoke (that is labelled), it would make things much easier.

Thanks,
Powerfinger
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by zristic » 25 Jan 2006 15:02

powerfinger wrote:Would it be possible to add a "bookmarks" toolbar? Like 8 buttons labelled 1 to 8, and a "set" button.
Added to WL.

corners

#5 Post by corners » 18 Mar 2007 12:11

When I put the cursor in a code line and press Ctrl-Shift-1 nothing happens. Other numbers work OK. Is this a feature of v5.0.0.2? I can't find any reference in the manual.

I'm pleased to see Code Explorer working, thanks.

Wish List 1: it would be nice to put Bookmarks in the Code Explorer rather than on a toolbar, because that's the navigation place.

Wish List 2: Code explorer to include Line Labels. My typical code has a long initialisation block at the start of main and then a line label where the actual main code loops. If that was picked up in Code Explorer it would save me having to bookmark it each time.

OK I'm lazy but that's what computers are for, to stop people having to do repetitive things themselves!

:D

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by zristic » 19 Mar 2007 08:28

corners wrote:When I put the cursor in a code line and press Ctrl-Shift-1 nothing happens. Other numbers work OK. Is this a feature of v5.0.0.2? I can't find any reference in the manual.
Strange, this is not a feature. Are you sure there are no other applications running which share the shortcut?
Wish List 1: it would be nice to put Bookmarks in the Code Explorer rather than on a toolbar, because that's the navigation place.
We will make a separate bookmarks window.
Code explorer to include Line Labels. My typical code has a long initialisation block at the start of main and then a line label where the actual main code loops. If that was picked up in Code Explorer it would save me having to bookmark it each time.
Wish granted.

corners

#7 Post by corners » 19 Mar 2007 10:34

You are right. The Ctrl-Shift-1 keystroke on my PC is being trapped by a macro utility, MB is perfect.

Some more Wish Lists:

Wish List 3: Please can Code Explorer list procedures which are placed under an 'implements' tag in a module?

Wish List 4: Please can Code Explorer list Symbol declarations?

Thank you for noting the other Wish List items!

:D

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by zristic » 19 Mar 2007 10:39

corners wrote:Wish List 3: Please can Code Explorer list procedures which are placed under an 'implements' tag in a module?
Aren't they visible already?
Wish List 4: Please can Code Explorer list Symbol declarations?
This is one of the rare NOs on the wish list. Simply, it is very difficult to do so and the gain is very little comparing to the amount of work.

corners

#9 Post by corners » 19 Mar 2007 11:57

My Code Explorer doesn't see procedures following the 'implements' tag in a module:

:(

corners

#10 Post by corners » 19 Mar 2007 17:49

Did I set up the graphic wrong? I can't see it. How come xor can do it!!

(But he can do anything, I think..)

:lol:

Kalain

#11 Post by Kalain » 22 Sep 2007 13:02

powerfinger wrote:Hi zristic,

I tend to be using bookmarks quite a bit, I'm probably not the sharpest guy around, and have a hard time remembering both these keyboard shortcuts (as they are typically not windows standard key combinations).

Would it be possible to add a "bookmarks" toolbar? Like 8 buttons labelled 1 to 8, and a "set" button.

I hate to keep searching the help-files when I need to figure out a new key-combo, if there were a toolbar to invoke (that is labelled), it would make things much easier.

Thanks,
Powerfinger
This is particulary true when you have long program with lots of procedure.
what I would like to suggest is :

1/ Extend F1 key at all objects listed in Code explorer list (variables, const, type, procedure)
For example if cursor is on user procedure's name in editor window, a hint on F1 key will jump and display procedure in editor window. (same thing if you double clic on procedure name in code explorer list.)

2/ After each F1 key on user's object (object code explorer list), mb should note in a list (or whatever) program line or line where it comes from.
now, in procedure, if I want to come back from jump point, just press Ctrl+F1 key (or other combinaison like Alt+F1 or Shift+F1)
This could be done with an history 8 levels. (or more if possible)

By this way, while your hands are on keyboard writing some program, you could easily move and check technical points without to be lost in long programs.
here is an example :
Line 850
I'm looking for a procedure with code assistant list.
I select one procedure. (not sure this is the right one I selected)
If I hint F1 key (while on procedure name) mB will move on procedure code and I'm able to check the code.
Now to come back from my jum point (line 850), just press Ctrl+F1 key.

Same example can be done for a variable in order to check declaration.

I agree nearly all this can be done with code explorer list but you have to swap your fingers from keyboard to mouse and so on. this way do not offer any come back to original line program.

By thie suggested idea, this will give lots of power to editor window.
This will give and very easy way to move along procedures, variable, const delaration in a long program.

I hope my English is good enough to explain correctly the idea.

I really hope this is possible to implement this idea in future mb versions.

regards
Alain

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”