TCP/IP suport

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal.
Author

TCP/IP suport

#1 Post by Storic » 15 Jan 2005 10:54

HI,
At some stage, I would like to start interfacing using TCP/IP. Either direct or via internet explorer. I had view assembly codes examples and even purchases from microchip their TCP/IP demo board. (did not go to far with this, assemble is not my thing)

I am in no real hurry for this as I have other jroject on the go, however, at some stage i would like to interface my project onto the PC via TCP/IP.

I would like this to be added to the Wish list, prefer the will happen list Date to be determined.

ANDREW

LGR

TCP/IP

#2 Post by LGR » 15 Jan 2005 17:48

See the thread "small ethernet board for easypic2 ?" under "development boards".

Storic

#3 Post by Storic » 16 Jan 2005 01:16

Thanks
Looking forward to it

Andrew :D

gambrose

#4 Post by gambrose » 16 Jan 2005 11:52

Do you have to use an enternet port to use tcp/ip and html.

I have a raid card in my computer that I can setup through internet explorer.

It would be great if you could serve small web pages through the serial port. Couldn’t this be done on some old serial based modem protocol or something?

LGR

#5 Post by LGR » 16 Jan 2005 18:29

It would be great if you could serve small web pages through the serial port. Couldn’t this be done on some old serial based modem protocol or something?
The answer is yes. The question is, is there enough demand to justify providing this service? I forgot the exact name, but serial modem TCP/IP is one of the many services defined for TCP/IP, and would fit into the TCP/IP services package.

As I think about it, this might be another way to do a quick-and-dirty HMI (see ethernet board post). It could concievably be used in conjunction with an RS-485 network. With RS-485, it would be a lot cleaner if there were a gateway pic, because the serial TCP/IP expects to see a single serial port. It would certainly be easy to do with one PIC communicating over RS-232.

There are some possibilities here....

gambrose

#6 Post by gambrose » 16 Jan 2005 21:30

I think it would be easier and more professional looking if you could configure your project using a web page in internet explorer than having to use HyperTerminal.

And if that interface was provided by a serial cable driving a modem protocol which windows would recognize automatically then it's a much cheaper solution than having to buy an enternet card.

If you then decided to use your project remotely using the internet then you already have your web server built in you just tell it to use the enternet card instead.

As for demand I think most people want a cool web server thing for their application so if there is a way of providing this with out having to shell out for an enternet card which if you are just connecting to one pc is a waste of money it is a good thing.

LGR

#7 Post by LGR » 16 Jan 2005 22:03

As for demand I think most people want a cool web server thing for their application so if there is a way of providing this with out having to shell out for an enternet card which if you are just connecting to one pc is a waste of money it is a good thing.
That's a long sentence; some commas would help. :roll:

I agree, I was just trolling for some comments from some of the people who stated earlier that this was what they wanted, such as Steve in Australia.

This, if done right, would probably satisfy pretty much everybodys' needs and wants, for precicely the reasons stated. You could have a quick-and-dirty, and yet somewhat sexy, web interface on the cheap, which could be extended later. And, as I said, with a PIC as a gateway, you could commuinicate with a CAN or RS-485 or 1-wire network with multiple nodes located remotely.

Next question: Can the serial TCP/IP service be made to work through a USB interface? I'm sure this can be done, because there are USB modems. This would be the icing on the cake, because a lot of motherboards don't have comm ports. It would be really, really nice if a USB-enabled PIC could talk to a browser through the TCP/IP stack, and the USB interface.

gambrose

#8 Post by gambrose » 16 Jan 2005 22:24

Sorry for my poor punctuation it’s getting a bit late here and I’m not that great at it at the best of times.

I agree that if you could do with serial you probably could do it with USB also should work for Bluetooth if you wanted to go wireless as that has a modem protocol.

I think it would be the best way for communicating with a pic locally as it’s the way most users are use to doing things now and the added benefit that it would be upgradeable is a real winner.

Lets hope that if it can be done someone can be bothered to do it and that it will be included in the Micro(Pascal, Basic, C?) libraries.

gambrose

#9 Post by gambrose » 17 Jan 2005 00:27

I had a little look on the web for pic web severs and the really small ones seem to use SLIP (serial line ip)

Basically it is a very simple framing protocol that uses two bytes a start of frame byte and an end of frame byte, can’t get much simpler than that.

So would be a piece of piss to implement but then you would have write a tcp stack.

But creating a connection to a slip device seems possible in xp had a little look and there is an option.

I think I will wait till the release of microC and if it doesn’t already have a tcp stack I might look into porting one from somewhere as there is a few written in c that I found.

LGR

#10 Post by LGR » 17 Jan 2005 04:51

1) SLIP was what I was thinking of. I'm not hallucinating.

2) "Piece of piss"? You Englishmen talk funny.

3) Based on statements in the ethernet thead, it is safe to assume that a TCP stack is in the works.

4) In general, the libraries for Pascal, Basic, and C are the same. If the stack is ready in this next release, I would expect it to be in all languages. My understanding is that the .mcl files for the three languages are interchangeable, and that you can "mix and match" libraries between languages. So, anything written in C which can be made into a procedure library will be usable with all three languages.

If these C procedures are GNU or free, they should, in theory, be convertable into libraries for all to use.

Storic

#11 Post by Storic » 20 Apr 2005 23:53

Hi,

I have been informed by my microchip supplier that Mipcrochip have produce a SPI TCP/IP chip. This may be another method for TCP/IP interface. :)

It is not on the microchip website as yet. :(

1: Have you heard of this :?: and

2: as it is a SPI function will this work with the SPI interface tools :?:

Andrew :wink:

LGR

#12 Post by LGR » 21 Apr 2005 00:07

I was wondering when someone would do that. The Realtek parallel interface is an unweildy mess. 100 pins! SPI would be much cleaner. The questions I would have are:

1. Is it a complete ethernet solution, or does it need a seperate PHY device?

2. With the history that microchip has had for late delivery, when is it realistic to actually see these?

3. If this is real, will mE support this? :D
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Werner

#13 Post by Werner » 21 Apr 2005 02:32

Storic wrote:It is not on the microchip website as yet. :(
Oh, the ENC28J60 is there quite a while (however not available yet):
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcpl ... e=en022889

Or did you mean something different?

LGR

#14 Post by LGR » 21 Apr 2005 03:25

You answered my first question. I'd be interested in the answers to #2 and #3. :?
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

gbh

#15 Post by gbh » 22 Apr 2005 16:02

I was with a Microchip rep on Monday and was given a demo of the ENC28J60 on their new evaluation board.

The TCP/IP stack code is a free download, and the topic is covered in depth on the Microchip site at:

http://microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?Id ... odeId=1489

As for the chips themselves, I was told that they're sampling imminently - with production chips due to become available in the next 3-4 weeks.

Return to “mikroPascal Wish List”