TCP/IP suport

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal.
Author

#31 Post by gambrose » 31 May 2005 17:36

I think you are missing the point of xml.

Yes HTML is more useful for people using a browser but xml is much more useful for integrating with desktop programs.
It just happens that a browser can read xml and so makes debugging the system that much easier.
Graham Ambrose

LGR

#32 Post by LGR » 31 May 2005 18:29

gambrose wrote:Yes HTML is more useful for people using a browser but xml is much more useful for integrating with desktop programs.
It just happens that a browser can read xml and so makes debugging the system that much easier.
Indeed. It's not an either-or proposition, though. You should be able to have both. HTML is a superset of XML. What I see as a weakness with the micro servers is that a lot of people will want to use this in lieu of an HMI application. That's fine, but there is a limit to the amount of data that can be scanned if you can't embed the content of one in another.

It would depend on the application, of course, it actually might be easier and more productive to UDP the raw data to a headless computer running Apache (and some form of firewall), and then do full webserving from there. In some applications, though, there's no physical room for a computer (ITX, maybe?). I don't know whether full HTML and HTTPS, etc. is worth doing, or whether such applications should always plan on using some form of gateway, if they are going to use a browser as an HMI and/or control over the internet. :?:
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Storic

#33 Post by Storic » 01 Jun 2005 00:14

Hi,
I agree to an application that the limitation has been reduced. If html is a better choice or another form that can easly be utilized, then this will be the option. :) I only used xml as what was done a few years ago. XML is a small file compaired to html which was able to be stored in a 24LC265 I2C memmory chip. With the use of the SD, CF etc cards, memmory may not be an issue. :?

we do need to be mindful that the larger the html file the slower the interconnection. at 10Mg may not be noticeable, x 100+ items then you may start to see something or not. :shock:

Andrew
Last edited by Storic on 01 Jun 2005 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

LGR

#34 Post by LGR » 01 Jun 2005 00:25

Storic wrote:we do need to be mindful that the larger the html fine the slower the interconnection. at 10Mg may not be noticeable, x 100+ items then you may start to see something or not.
An ethernet packet is, I don't remember the exact number, but around 1500 bytes. I don't think that using less than that saves anything, I think it pads with 0's. I am pretty certain that the processor itself will be the bottleneck. I'm curious what throughput an 18F at 40 mHZ can sustain.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Return to “mikroPascal Wish List”