Wchich barcode scanner

General discussion on mikroElektronika development boards.
Author

Wchich barcode scanner

#1 Post by sisko » 20 Jun 2008 15:53

Hello,

I have to do something with a barcode scanner and a pic. Searching the forum shows me some posts according to this subject ... many people are doing something with barcode ... but which model/type ???

It would be great if those people using barcode in their projects could report here, which barcode scanner (manufacturer/model) they use. Thanks.
Regards, Gunther

Jan Rune

#2 Post by Jan Rune » 20 Jun 2008 18:15

Any barcode reader with a PS/2 connector for output is like reading a keyboard with mikrobasic. In other words: eaaasy!

There are alot of other factors in choosing the right one for your project.

sisko

#3 Post by sisko » 23 Jun 2008 09:26

I thought this too ... but my WASP UF-101E (DIN-connector with PS/2-Adapter) does not work.

I took the ps/2 example from ME and connected a Cherry PS/2 Keyboard => works fine. Each keystroke is shown on the terminal.
Next step is to integrate (loop-through) the barcode-scanner.
After power on, each keystroke is shown on the terminal => OK
Then I tried to scan a code ... => nothing is shown in the terminal.
After the scan no keystroke from the keyboard will be shown on the terminal anymore.

Only after RESET EP5, the keyboard will work again.

Even if I use the scanner alone (without additional keyboard) the sample does not work, changing to 8Mhz, 16Mhz doesn't help too.

Therefore my question about your scanner types ... there must be any differences or anything else.
On friday I ordered a newer scanner ... probably he will be delivered today ... and then we'll see.

btw: I use MicroC 8.2.0.0 licensed, EasyPic5, 18F4520 with 25Mhz,
Regards, Gunther

Agent420

#4 Post by Agent420 » 23 Jun 2008 17:42

I'm currently working on a ps2 CueCat based scanner project. The ps2 interface works fine on my EasyARM.

CueCat's were originally given away for free as a marketing gimmick, and now can be found for cheap on eBay. Though the data is encrypted by default, there's many resources on the web for easy hardware mods to disable it. My version 1965 was as easy as clipping 1 pin on an ic - now it sends barcode data as keystroke scan codes.

Return to “Development Boards”