Linux version

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

Linux version

#1 Post by eSilviu » 15 Oct 2010 14:59

Why don't Mikroe release a version that run on linux? I saw a thread from 2005 on the forum, where "a linux version is on the way". But it's been 6 years from then.
Meanwhile, I have tried to install and run mikropascal pro in Ubuntu 10.4, under wine. It works well, with almost no issue:
- texts on vertical tabs is not displayes (icons are there);
- licensing don't work, even if the license file is accepted, the serial ethernet demo is not compiled;
- tools will not work with native linux application. I have tried to set as tool the pk2cmd (linux version), but realized quickly that it can't work because the name of the hex file is passed to the tool with full path (the one from wine, not the real path on the linux file system, so pk2cmd ca't understand the path of the file).

It could be more issues, but none from the above are critical. The essential thing is that compiler works. Some minor tweaking from developers, and it should work perfectly.

LanJan

Re: Linux version

#2 Post by LanJan » 10 Sep 2011 11:47

I totally agree here...

I have been away since 2007, and, 4, - F O U R - years later, still nothing... :shock:

NOT even a separate topic for Linux. :( :( :(

MikroE - That is incredible arrogant! I'm really disappointed, not sure yet to what degree, but very.....

I just had a friend of mine spend close to a $1000 on your products, thinking SURE they have a Linux version by now!

Pull yourself together, treating your customers this way, and soon lots of them are not customers anymore...

regards from
Norway

filip
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by filip » 12 Sep 2011 10:07

Hi,

I agree with you that Linux version of our compilers is something very important and that we must take care of our Linux users as well.
For sure we have in our plans to port the compiler to Linux, but due to the large amount of on-going project I cannot really say when it will become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Filip.

LanJan

#4 Post by LanJan » 12 Sep 2011 17:34

filip wrote:Hi,

I agree with you that Linux version of our compilers is something very important and that we must take care of our Linux users as well.
For sure we have in our plans to port the compiler to Linux, but due to the large amount of on-going project I cannot really say when it will become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Filip.
I can rely to that....

And because of that, it is even MORE important to have a Linux Topic so that we can see that it is on the agenda, and where you can post when needed.

Today, we have to search the forum, and that should be unnessesary...

regards
//JM

funlw65

#5 Post by funlw65 » 23 Mar 2012 22:56

Oct 15, 2010 then, Sep 12, 2011 ...

For mikroElektronika that means to migrate from Delphi to Lazarus and that is very hard and painful for both mikroe and the clients. Maybe they concluded that is not worth the effort... so, every time you request a linux version, be prepared to get ... very nice apologies, usually from Mr. Filip who have this ingrate mission (I think mikroe owe him a lot of gratitude).
FreeJALduino

LGR

#6 Post by LGR » 29 Mar 2012 00:51

Keep in mind also that migrating PICFLASH is another complication due to the need for USB drivers that run under Linux. We may, as a temporary situation, have the compilers and not the PICFLASH, so we then need to use MPLAB with some other flash device.

This is a big job. Probably won't ever happen.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by filip » 29 Mar 2012 09:18

Hi,

I agree that migrating compiler, drivers, programmer software to Linux is very hard and demanding task, but we had not given up on doing this.

Regards,
Filip.

ihatejw

#8 Post by ihatejw » 13 Apr 2012 20:47

I join the crew of people that ask for linux version. Us, the Linux users, don't need all the GUI, a Command Line tool to compile the source and charge the .hex on the PIC is enough. I set up a PC with Windows XP only to run MikroBasic and MicroProg: it is a overkill. Give us linux version of MikroBasic and MicroProg in CLI (Command Line Interface) it will be enough for us.
Thank you.

Bertold

#9 Post by Bertold » 24 Sep 2016 19:11

I work everyday on Linux workstation. This is my main system. I may but windows ONLY for work on mikroPascal. Very bad. I could buy something else. And have a more homogenous environment.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#10 Post by lana.arsic » 26 Sep 2016 17:37

Hi Bertold,

Linux support is in our enhancements wish list, please vote here:

http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=68444

Until we add support, you may consider to use some kind of virtual machine.

Best regards,
Lana

Bertold

#11 Post by Bertold » 26 Sep 2016 20:11

Yes, I use VirtualBox. But Windows is too much unstable for me. Too expensive -- without purchase new version I cannot to be sure, that system is secure. Interface of system is changed in inconvenient way. On Linux is possible upgrade system and to can work in more conservative way. And this all for free.
Moreover I can self patch things in system when they appears not suited for me.
Dolce vita!

Bertold

t-edson

#12 Post by t-edson » 16 Aug 2017 22:11

There are some projects of compilers working in Linux. PicPas https://github.com/t-edson/PicPas is a free cross-platform Pascal compilers. It's Open-source and includes a very complete and powerful IDE.

Bertold

#13 Post by Bertold » 20 Feb 2018 10:29

Hmmm... I believe, that mE team have enough power to develop all compilers on Linux, but this is required to make own environment, to simultaneous compile of compilers and planned co-working method. This is work for all-project director. When this would be done with one-by-one style of work, there would be difficult to achieve success.

Bertold

#14 Post by Bertold » 20 Feb 2018 10:36

I made some projects on mikroPascal for PIC and PIC32. PicPas are "in statu nascendi", not for fast and effective work. Better is JAL2, but only for PIC. I need support for PIC32 and PIC24/dsPIC too.

Bertold

#15 Post by Bertold » 20 Feb 2018 10:54

Maybe good start point would be to make PICProg support for Linux. Linux WINE not supported USB. This should be native tool.
Then ONE graphical IDE for all compilers. In this case only description of language will be decided of functionality of this graphical shell. This leads to 1 program compiled to 2 platforms.
Next step would be take possibility to make own processor decription, ie. in drawer "own/devices". As in library way. This speed up developing new devices , but not made responsibility of mE for this freak. When mE will be done, will make his own microcontroller description file, but users can be to self change this file (ie. on forum or libstock). This should take more time to develop device core support.
Near all this things can be independent from OS platform. This make possibility port to Mac...

(I don't lookup work :) )

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Wish List”