Adding device support to compilers

General discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

Adding device support to compilers

#1 Post by Soumitrab » 26 Oct 2016 20:14

Hi
Is there a way to add more devices to the compilers ? There are tons of 8bit mcus for example that are still not part of the compilers, hence making it difficult working with them for projects.

Thanks

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Adding device support to compilers

#2 Post by lana.arsic » 27 Oct 2016 14:11

Hi Soumitra,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but our compilers support
many 8-bit PICs, but which has at least 13-bit wide instructions.

Can you please tell me for which exactly MCU do you need support,
so I could suggest to our developers to consider to add it?

Best regards,
Lana

Soumitrab

#3 Post by Soumitrab » 27 Oct 2016 17:09

Hi Lana

I would love to see all the devices added. I've come across many devices released by Microchip with different integrated peripherals etc and they keep updating and releasing other devices from time to time.

I appreciate that Mikroe software folks may be unable to keep adding devices as frequently as we would like so I wondered if it is possible for them to make a tool (similar to package manager) where users themselves can create/add the defs for new devices and also share on Libstock for others.

That way Mikroe can continue to focus on library development and other things. Now technically speaking I can look into existing files in the DEF directory and create a similar one for my device ... but how do i compile it so that it is recognized by the compiler as an additional device ?

Thanks and regards

hadv

#4 Post by hadv » 27 Oct 2016 20:49

I looked at the .mpas and .mlk files and they shouldn't be very hard to create from the MC .inc files.
It's the .mcl I need to know how to create this. Is compiling the .mpas sufficient?

janni

#5 Post by janni » 28 Oct 2016 00:50

hadv wrote:It's the .mcl I need to know how to create this. Is compiling the .mpas sufficient?
Yes. Compiler does it automatically (if necessary) when compiling any project for chosen processor. One may always open (and modify) definition file for active processor in IDE by pressing Ctrl+Alt+D.

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#6 Post by lana.arsic » 28 Oct 2016 13:19

Hi,

@ Soumitrab

Unfortunately, only MCUs which have at least 13-bit wide insctructions
will be taken in consideration.

As regards the tool, you can post your wish here:

viewtopic.php?f=146&t=68444

@ janni:

Thank you for helping our user.

Best regards,
Lana

hadv

#7 Post by hadv » 28 Oct 2016 14:56

It's still not clear to me.
I can load any .mpas file in the compiler, but I cannot compile a single file, it always needs a project. Since a project requires a device type, which is not yet supported, I don't know how to continu from this point. It's a bit catch22.

janni

#8 Post by janni » 28 Oct 2016 16:28

hadv wrote:I can load any .mpas file in the compiler, but I cannot compile a single file, it always needs a project. Since a project requires a device type, which is not yet supported, I don't know how to continu from this point. It's a bit catch22.
It would be :) - if you needed the mcl file before compiling a project with new processor.

A project will be necessary anyway but that's no problem. Empty project will do and processor definition file will be compiled with the project. In most cases one may start with some similar processor files and then modify them instead of starting from scratch.

Soumitrab

#9 Post by Soumitrab » 29 Oct 2016 02:43

Hi Lana

I see that there are already suggestions to include other PICs in the link you provided. Also, I had to get back to using v6.6.2 due to erroneous behavior of code (which at the time i didnt investigate further) is documented there.
I guess I will refrain from asking for new devices to be added until the compiler is fixed. Is there no service pack for applying a quick fix to the compiler instead of waiting for a new release altogether ?

Thanks and regards

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#10 Post by lana.arsic » 01 Nov 2016 09:13

Hi Soumitra,

I'm sorry, I'm not sure if I understand you well regarding version 6.6.2,
does your code cannot work in version 6.6.3?
If it cannot, can you please send your whole project in a zip/rar archive so I could test it?

Unfortunately, quick fix is often not possible, and this way of fixing bugs
when new version is released is more convenient, because all other features together are tested.

Best regards,
Lana

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC General”