ICD question/comment

Beta Testing discussion on mikroBasic PRO for PIC.
Author

ICD question/comment

#1 Post by bpislife » 04 Apr 2009 21:56

Sorry for the many posts. As you can see I had some spare time to devote toward BETA testing.

ICD seems to stop at random places. I do not have any breakpoints set. I was hoping to use ICD to run and never stop and just get the real-time values of some variables, but that doesn't seem to let me. It just kept stopping. Also, the software would run (not as it should, but it would run....see my other post) when I selected released, but when I compiled with ICD the software wouldn't run right at all. It doesn't help that this is the first time I am using ICD.

Kalain

Re: ICD question/comment

#2 Post by Kalain » 04 Apr 2009 22:44

bpislife wrote:Sorry for the many posts. As you can see I had some spare time to devote toward BETA testing.

ICD seems to stop at random places. I do not have any breakpoints set. I was hoping to use ICD to run and never stop and just get the real-time values of some variables, but that doesn't seem to let me. It just kept stopping. Also, the software would run (not as it should, but it would run....see my other post) when I selected released, but when I compiled with ICD the software wouldn't run right at all. It doesn't help that this is the first time I am using ICD.
Can you post some code ? or tell us which libraries are used ?
Alain

bpislife

#3 Post by bpislife » 05 Apr 2009 00:26

This wasn't a question about any particular program but rather a general question. Sorry I wasn't clear. Is the ICD supposed to give real-time value for variables, ports, etc?

Kalain

#4 Post by Kalain » 05 Apr 2009 08:48

bpislife wrote:This wasn't a question about any particular program but rather a general question. Sorry I wasn't clear. Is the ICD supposed to give real-time value for variables, ports, etc?
Yes it gives real time value for variables, ports but you need at least EP5 for this.

If you use "debugger software" mode, there is some limitations specially when "hardware" library are used.
Have a look here :
http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19215
i hope it will give you some answers.
Alain

Kalain

#5 Post by Kalain » 05 Apr 2009 09:06

Here is more about ICD :
mikroICD is highly effective tool for Real-Time debugging on hardware level. ICD debugger enables you to execute a mikroBasic PRO for PIC program on a host PIC microcontroller and view variable values, Special Function Registers (SFR), memory and EEPROM as the program is running.
you can find more in help file. Search for "microICD"
Alain

bpislife

#6 Post by bpislife » 06 Apr 2009 03:00

Thanks for the information. I will definitely check it out. I even tried the ICD out with 7.2 and it doesn't seem to give me real-time results. I will have to play with it more. I am using an EasyPIC 5 board, the real-time ICD was the reason I bought it. I am going to try a simple LED flashing program to see how that ICD works. I have never used an ICD on a PIC before, so this is new territory for me. Any advice or tutorials would be great.

goran.marinkovic
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by goran.marinkovic » 07 Apr 2009 09:33

Hi,

In order to better understand how mentioned function work,
you should look in Help section of our compiler.
Please first read carefully Introduction, then you should read mikroICD debugger options etc.
Also you can search topics on our forum about mikroICD debugger, and I believe that you will find a lot of useful information here on our forum.

Regards

Return to “mikroBasic PRO for PIC Beta Testing”