Is this graphical LCD-display supported?

General discussion on mikroPascal.
Author

Is this graphical LCD-display supported?

#1 Post by rainer » 05 Mar 2007 09:14

Hi,
this primarily will go to the developers of MP, but any answer is welcome:

I found the following display in the Internet. Because this will fit perfectly to my needs from its dimensions, I would like to use it, but before ordering a lot of useless displays I would like to know if this display is supported by the mikroPASCAL libraries.

http://www.powertip.com.tw/product/PG%2 ... 2864-I.PDF
http://www.powertip.com.tw/products.php -> Graphic displays
Its name: PG12864-I
Type: 128x64 dots graphics display, needs only +5V, outside dimension 54x50 mm.

:arrow: Because this is for a project with low budget and I have to buy a larger quantity at once, I cannot risk to buy and find out later that it is useless. Therefore I need a clear yes or no about usability with one (and which) library of mikroPASCAL.

Please, be so kind and leave me a note.

Another Q about this display:

:roll: Because I never had a graphical display in my hands, I could only study the manual (PDF), it is still somewhat unclear how the display data is written:

When I have the display in front of me, 128px in horizontal, I assume that the described "pages" are 8px wide and 64px high areas. named as X-address and being numbered from left to the right.
-> Is tis true?

It appears to me that every of this 8x64 "pages" is written from top to bottom, where every byte is oriented along the 8px direction and that the display automatically increases the vertical position by one.
-> Is this right?

When the lowest row is reached: What happens then? Will I overwrite the first row of the same column/page again, happens nothing, or what happens at all?
-> This is primarily for the case that the display is not really supported by the libraries and I would have to control it manually.

Rotary_Ed

Graphci LCD supported

#2 Post by Rotary_Ed » 06 Mar 2007 13:53

Hi Rainer,

I could not access the pdf for your graphics display on the links provided. However, it sounds like a "page" oriented graphics display. I used a similar type in a project. This display use the SDD 1713 LCD controller. In my case, you had 8 bytes (lines) defining a "Page", and so could have 64/8 = 8 lines of characters per screen. I created a simple bar graph display - but it was a pain because you had to figured out how many bits to light in the 8 line page for each value and if you wanted it over one page in height it really got complex.

My EasyPic 2 board could not drive the display with the standard MK graphic hook up. I had to write my own graphics driver, created my own fonts, etc. and wire the LCD to the output pins on the board to drive it.

It worked, but I quickly found that a screen with true graphics capability was much easier to program and switched. If I were to advise you, I would suggest that you look for an LCD that is not "page" oriented.

Now if you do not need true graphics capability then the "page" approach is fine for characters.
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Ric

#3 Post by Ric » 06 Mar 2007 14:25

The PG12864-I model isn't even listed on Powertip's "Products" page. :?
They seem to have discontinued it.

Rainer, if you have already ordered the displays (Powertip, or your local distributor, could still have some of them in stock) please upload the PDF somewhere and give the link here, so someone can help you.

rainer

Other desplay was selected...

#4 Post by rainer » 08 Mar 2007 11:49

Hi, meanwhile I had a conversation with my customer.

We decided to use the EA DOGM128 display (http://www.lcd-module.de), this is a very fast and brand new coming out 128x64 display, supporting parallel and SPI interfacing. It also runs with one external power supply and allows to adjust the contrast by software.
They say that this new controller-chip is so fast that they even left away any handshaking. You may write with up to 20 MHz without waits into the display... - Whow.

Especially the SPI interface is of interest, because I want to build the whole device with a minimum of wireing. The used controller is an ST7565.

So my above question(s) belong actually to this display. Is it supported?

Donald Shimoda

Re: Other desplay was selected...

#5 Post by Donald Shimoda » 08 Mar 2007 12:51

rainer wrote: So my above question(s) belong actually to this display. Is it supported?
Sound a great display, but i think is not supported.Reading the help

mikroC provides a library for operating the Graphic LCD 128x64 via SPI. These routines work with the common GLCD 128x64 (samsung ks0108).

BTW, i dont think will be very hard to make a library for support that.
Donald Shimoda.

rainer

Doesn't sound so bad...

#6 Post by rainer » 08 Mar 2007 13:00

Well, so you assume that the work to get this display working should be minimal?
So I will place my sample order for this displays without risking to buy unusable hardware, right? The displays will be available at beginning of May, so there is some time until they arrive.

I never had a look into the libraries of mP (if they are included in source at all). Do you think that the library can be adapted until then? (-> I even don't know if this libraries support SPI at all, this is my first graphical display I use.)

Besides:
Which font size and shape does mP use by default? is it 5x7 + 1px right, or is it a proportional font? And how to use a graphical display at all? The manual is somewhat short in this part.

Donald Shimoda

Re: Doesn't sound so bad...

#7 Post by Donald Shimoda » 08 Mar 2007 13:26

rainer wrote:Well, so you assume that the work to get this display working should be minimal?
Actually cannot say that because is all about the knowledgment of the source writer. :)
rainer wrote: So I will place my sample order for this displays without risking to buy unusable hardware, right? The displays will be available at beginning of May, so there is some time until they arrive.
Again, how can i tell you : are not running at your own risk? :roll:
rainer wrote: I never had a look into the libraries of mP (if they are included in source at all). Do you think that the library can be adapted until then? (-> I even don't know if this libraries support SPI at all, this is my first graphical display I use.)
You cannot adapt a mp library, because are closed source. You will need to write that from sracth. Sorry. :(
rainer wrote: Besides:
Which font size and shape does mP use by default? is it 5x7 + 1px right, or is it a proportional font? And how to use a graphical display at all? The manual is somewhat short in this part.

I bet the best way is see the code, GLCD_Font and the manual will fit that.

Best regards.
Donald Shimoda.

rainer

#8 Post by rainer » 08 Mar 2007 13:41

So, because mikroE is currently working on mikroBASIC and because the libraries are actually closed source, this will really become an odyssee... :roll:

Anyway, re-inventing wheels is what a professional development system is for - isn't it? :?

Anyway, I'll order them. Hope that they get at least mP next revision finished SOON, otherwise I run into real troubles...... :oops:

Donald Shimoda

#9 Post by Donald Shimoda » 08 Mar 2007 14:01

rainer wrote: Anyway, re-inventing wheels is what a professional development system is for - isn't it? :?
Yes! Is all aboput fun. ;)
rainer wrote: Anyway, I'll order them. Hope that they get at least mP next revision finished SOON, otherwise I run into real troubles...... :oops:
Wich special feature are you waiting in new version?
Donald Shimoda.

rainer

#10 Post by rainer » 09 Mar 2007 09:24

The new release will support constant types in program memory.

This means, I can use the program memory for read-only data I otherwise have to store in external rom. (important to me).

Donald Shimoda

#11 Post by Donald Shimoda » 09 Mar 2007 12:12

rainer wrote:The new release will support constant types in program memory.

This means, I can use the program memory for read-only data I otherwise have to store in external rom. (important to me).
AFAIK, theres no planned release date for that, and that will not happen at short time. Do you have another info to share ?
Donald Shimoda.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#12 Post by zristic » 09 Mar 2007 12:44

Donald Shimoda wrote:AFAIK, theres no planned release date for that, and that will not happen at short time.
Please, stop writing nosense.

Donald Shimoda

#13 Post by Donald Shimoda » 09 Mar 2007 12:47

zristic wrote:
Donald Shimoda wrote:AFAIK, theres no planned release date for that, and that will not happen at short time.
Please, stop writing nosense.
I contact Nebojsa Matic [ General Manager of Mikroe] yesterday asking for how to be in the select group testing the mikropscal beta next release.He tell me:

'I think we will not have any major relise for MikroPascal yet...'

So, where is the nonsese?
Donald Shimoda.

milan
mikroElektronika team

#14 Post by milan » 12 Mar 2007 11:05

rainer wrote:The new release will support constant types in program memory.

Can you explain your wish in more words.

If you declare some indentifier as const - mikroPascal automatically puts it in the Program Memory.

Help->Constants : Using a constant in a program consumes no RAM memory.

gtpats

Source for ST7565??

#15 Post by gtpats » 04 May 2007 06:54

hi guys..!
i got my ST7565 initialised,
but i am not able to deal with the fonts.
does someone have the source for this in C, if so can you pls share it.

gtpats...

Return to “mikroPascal General”