Problems with tooltips not displaying some consts

General discussion on mikroPascal.
Author

Problems with tooltips not displaying some consts

#1 Post by PC Pete » 08 Mar 2009 07:37

I'm now further into the guts of the compiler and UI (unfortunately, instead of further into the guts of my code).

Now I find that most tooltips don't seem to work properly. This happens with every project I open or create, and varies depending on some unfathomable logic that escapes me.

For example, with the following consts defined :

Code: Select all

ADC_MAX_COUNT : word = 1023;
  ADC_STEP_COUNT : word = (ADC_MAX_COUNT + 1);

ADC_MAX_VREF = 5.000; // volts

ADC_SCALING_FACTOR = ADC_MAX_VREF / ADC_MAX_COUNT; //  0.0048828125 V/step
  ADC_TEMP_SCALING_FACTOR = ADC_SCALING_FACTOR * 100;

// These are the default temperature and triggers and prescaling values.
  MAX_TEMP = 70;
  MIN_TEMP = 30;
  TEMP_RANGE = MAX_TEMP - MIN_TEMP;
... when I hover the mouse over any of these values, the tooltips display:
for ADC_MAX_COUNT : "ADC_MAX_COUNT = 1023"
for ADC_MAX_VREF : "ADC_MAX_VREF = 5.00"
for ADC_STEP_COUNT : "ADC_STEP_COUNT = ..." (i.e. I have no idea whatsoever what the value is unless I use the calculator to do this for me)
for ADC_SCALING_FACTOR : "ADC_SCALING_FAC..." (ditto)
for ADC_TEMP_SCALING_FACTOR, MAX_TEMP, MIN_TEMP, and TEMP_RANGE : "" (i.e. nothing at all)

Needless to say, this is making debugging the compiler's code almost impossible.

I can't seem to find any way of increasing the tooltip length so I can see what the compiler is doing to my constants. I use the term advisedly - despite the manual stating that consts will automatically resize themselves to the minimum variable size needed to represent the constant value.

For example, using

ADC_STEP_COUNT = ADC_MAX_COUNT +1;
ADC_STEP_COUNT is set to 1, not 1024. This is definitely repeatable behaviour. Hence my acrobatics to not only manually override the constant type, but also using parentheses to force the compiler to represent the value properly.

I also find that the watch window defaults to displaying as decimal, unless I click the ellipsis, in which case it's displayed as hex format, but I have to manually do this for every watch I add.

And of course, I can't use the watch list to display any consts, which is the most frustrating of all, given the quixotic behaviour of the tooltips.

Should these be added to a buglist, and if so, how do I do this?

If I'm missing something blindingly obvious, please let me know where these problems are addressed.

I'm very sorry to sound so frustrated and negative, but I've just discovered that I've spent the past 5 hours NOT debugging my code (which actually works fine once I force the compiler to do what it's supposed to do out of the box), but debugging and working around the compiler and user interface.
Thanks.
Data is not Information. Information is not Knowledge. Knowledge is not Wisdom.

Return to “mikroPascal General”