EEPROM address > $F0 how to initialize

General discussion on mikroPascal.
Author

#1 Post by Rotary_Ed » 24 Feb 2009 02:02

I need to initialize a region of EEPROM before compiling a program beyound the 0xF0 region of the EEPROM editor window. Specifically in a region at 0x1A0 and 0x1B0 rows. I am using MP7.0 and a 18F6772 chips with 1024 bytes of EEPROM.

Since the EEPROM Editor window does not display that high, I naturally could not simpy insert the intitalization values into the eeprom window as I have done for rows 0 through 0xF0. So I pulled up the project.eed file and added lines from 0xF0 up to 0x1B0. I then initialized those two rows with the needed values.

However, after compiling the code, the EEPROM data I inserted in the project.eed file does not show in the code nor does it show on the programmers EEPROM window. In short, my initialization is not taking. Yes, I even unchecked the box in the EEPROM editor so it would not use the window as the source and then when that did not work, I also checked it trying both ways. Neither worked.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Rotary_Ed

#2 Post by Rotary_Ed » 24 Feb 2009 02:26

Ok, I found a way to do intialize beyound the EEPROM Editor window. I found out that If I pull up the EEPROM window of the Flash programmer and insert the values in that window and then program the chip the values above 0xF0 are programmed into the chip.

Thanks for other suggestions
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

#3 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Feb 2009 13:37

Ok, I'm back, hat in hand. Inserting data into the EEPROM window of the PIC Flash programmer does permit me to insert data into the EEPROM region of the chip above address 0xF0 when I program the chip. However, I have to repeatedly enter the data each time after I recompile the program. Needless to say, this gets old after a bit.

So I'm back asking if there is some way of using the projects.eed file to do this. I can pull the projects.eed file up in the compiler and add the additional address lines like from 0x0F to 0x1B and fill out the 16 bytes with FF (default) or with data. However, when I compile the program, it appears that any data in the projects.eed file above EEPROM address 0x0F is ignored. Is there a fix or work around for this???

In working on the problem, I have found that if I write code in the program to insert data into the EEPROM region above 0xF0, it works. But, I can not find a way to insert the EEPROM data in this region from the compiler end.

Thanks for any suggestions
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Dany

Re: EEPROM address > $F0 how to initialize

#4 Post by Dany » 25 Feb 2009 13:50

Rotary_Ed wrote:Inserting data into the EEPROM window of the PIC Flash programmer does permit me to insert data into the EEPROM region of the chip above address 0xF0 when I program the chip. However, I have to repeatedly enter the data each time after I recompile the program. Needless to say, this gets old after a bit.
You have to do this only once.

For the next programming make the settings of the programmer so that it does not touch the eeprom content:

Program Options:
Data [eeprom] unchecked

Verify options:
Data [eeprom] unchecked

Advanced Options:
Preserve Data [Eeprom] checked
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Rotary_Ed

#5 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Feb 2009 15:29

Thanks, Dany, for the suggestion. However, the version of programmer I am using does not have the Advanced option. I am using version v7.07 of the PIC Flash2. What version has the "Advanced Option" on it - or if v7.07 then where on the window is the option located?

Thanks
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Dany

Re: EEPROM address > $F0 how to initialize

#6 Post by Dany » 25 Feb 2009 16:43

Rotary_Ed wrote:The version of programmer I am using does not have the Advanced option. I am using version v7.07 of the PIC Flash2. What version has the "Advanced Option" on it - or if v7.07 then where on the window is the option located?
The version with the "Options" button, near the bottom right of the programmer screen, is version 7.11. :D
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Rotary_Ed

#7 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Feb 2009 18:49

Yes, found the "opinon" button but my version 7.07 does not have the "advanced" button. However, I will go download V7.11 right this minute.

Again, appreciate the tip.
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

#8 Post by Rotary_Ed » 25 Feb 2009 19:04

Ok, Dany,

Downloaded PIC FLASH 2 version 7.11 and my EEPROM problem is now resolved. You can retain your modified EEPROM even when you upload a new program - that does what I needed.

Thanks, again
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Return to “mikroPascal General”