Wishlist: MikroE compilers on VSCode and Eclipse

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Wishlist: MikroE compilers on VSCode and Eclipse

#1 Post by The_YongGrand » 22 Jul 2019 14:11

I have been using MikroC and the IDE is something that I'm least impressed on. It crashes randomly and the indentations are inconsistent. Worse of all, there are no code-formatting, unlike the rest of the modern IDEs.

I have addressed and asked about improving the IDE a few times but it looks like there weren't much improvement on it.

Can we have the crew of MikroE to produce or create a MikroC plugin/extension for modern IDEs such as Eclipse and/or Visual Studio series?

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Wishlist: MikroE compilers on VSCode and Eclipse

#2 Post by stefan.filipovic » 24 Jul 2019 14:44

Hi,

Thank you for your report, I will forward this to our developers.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused by this.

Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

The_YongGrand

#3 Post by The_YongGrand » 24 Jul 2019 16:43

Hello Stefan,

Thanks for reading. However, I may not be the only one who have the IDE issue. I have asked about it about a number of times since 2011, but all the product roadmap doesn't include improving or upgrading the IDE. Also, I searched about the IDE complaints, and it looks like it's a recurring topic by many users.

The compiler itself is OK, and the IDE suffers from poor indentation and severe lack of features. The IDE looks like it is from the early-2000 design - even that classic Visual Studio 6.0 works better. On times, it crashes randomly, and the undo function sometimes seemed to mess up the code.

I have two MikroC compilers (PIC and DSPIC), VisualTFT and MikroProg, and I love these products very much as these help me to improve and do my leisure programming, but I'm hoping that the MikroE team is serious about getting the IDE to be fixed as soon as possible. A poorly written IDE can break the flow of writing effective code.

Again, I sincerely suggest:
1.) Revamp the IDE - use a newer framework like Qt.
2.) If revamping IDE is too much work - create a Visual Studio extension for this. Look up PlatformIO as an example.

stefan.filipovic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by stefan.filipovic » 25 Jul 2019 11:15

Hi,

I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused by this.

I will forward all your suggestions to our developers, I'm sure they will take it into consideration.

Kind regards,
Stefan Filipović

The_YongGrand

#5 Post by The_YongGrand » 27 Jul 2019 02:57

Hello Stefan Filipovich,

Thanks for the response. Also, I have taken a look into the latest MikroC compilet - it looks like there are DLLs related to Qt. I am suspecting that this is actually for CodeGrip.

The Qt is a popular platform for many programs - I'm very sure you can use it to your team's advantage. Here's one example of a simple IDE (for Parallax Propeller) using Qt: https://developer.parallax.com/simpleide/

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Wish List”