Tops of Pop-Ups clipped on some of my monitor screens

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Tops of Pop-Ups clipped on some of my monitor screens

#1 Post by steve42lawson » 09 Oct 2018 00:49

The Desktop PC that I run MikroC on, has three monitors -- each set to 1920x1080, but they are different physical sizes [which may, or may not have a bearing on what I'm about to say.
As you can see from the attached image.

Here's a composite of screenshots, layed out in the same sequence of two of my three monitors. On the left, the pop-up is clipped, and on the right, it's not clipped:
Side by Side composite of screenshots of a clipped and non-clipped pop-up box.
Side by Side composite of screenshots of a clipped and non-clipped pop-up box.
ss_SideBySide_clippedPopup01.png (42.44 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
This happens with pop-ups stimulated by a Ctrl+Spacebar, a Ctrl+F, and perhaps others that I've yet to discover.

The black region at the top of the left screenshot was put there by Win 10, when it constructed the three monitor "Print Scrn" screenshots that I used to create the composite image. That might be a hint as to the source of this problem -- for instance, if you're placing those pop-ups at coordinates (0,0), perhaps Win10 puts (0, 0) at different levels for different monitors, and because it, for some strange reason, puts (0,0) at the top of that black region [which doesn't, actually, show up on my monitor], thus the top portion of the box is cut off! Maybe you need to place pop-ups at, for instance, (0, 28) or (28,28) -- OR -- you need to learn how Win10 judges where (0,0) is, on each monitor.

In other words: it seems that, for some odd reason, Win10 places (0,0) at a point 28 pixels above the "viewport" on my middle monitor -- so (0,0) floats above the viewable region on my middle monitor, whereas, on my right-hand monitor, (0,0) is at the upper left corner of the viewable area!

The really annoying thing about this is: the dragbar is unavailable--because it's cropped off!!! There is no way to drag the box down!!!

Here's another screenshot of all three monitors--complete:
The attachment AllThreeMonitors01.png is no longer available
Notice how my left two monitors ride low, in the mind of WIN10, and my right most monitor rides high [judging by the black regions -- which, again, do not appear on my monitors at all!
Attachments
All three monitors!
All three monitors!
AllThreeMonitors01.png (174.44 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Last edited by steve42lawson on 09 Oct 2018 01:39, edited 1 time in total.
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

steve42lawson

Re: Tops of Pop-Ups clipped on some of my monitor screens

#2 Post by steve42lawson » 09 Oct 2018 01:35

Well, I figured out why my monitors were strangely misaligned:
NVIDIA Control Panel [cropped] of alignment aberration.
NVIDIA Control Panel [cropped] of alignment aberration.
ss_MonitorAlignmentOff01.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
And here's a screenshot of the alignment corrected:
NVIDIA Control Panel [cropped] of alignment corrected.
NVIDIA Control Panel [cropped] of alignment corrected.
ss_MonitorAlignmentCorrected01.png (5.65 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
BUT, the top of popups are still being clipped on my middle monitor!!
And, the Ctrl+F popup is clipped on both monitors:
The attachment PopUpClipped_MiddleMonitor_postAlign01.png is no longer available
Attachments
Middle Monitor Ctrl+F clipping
Middle Monitor Ctrl+F clipping
PopUpClipped_MiddleMonitor_postAlign01.png (14.93 KiB) Viewed 2396 times
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

steve42lawson

#3 Post by steve42lawson » 09 Oct 2018 01:51

AH HA! I tried rebooting my Win10 Desktop PC [the one exhibiting this strange clipping problem]. And then I checked that monitor Alignment again:

Even though I "corrected" the alignment, it didn't take!
Went back to misaligned!
Went back to misaligned!
ss_MonitorAlignmentOff01.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
So, I tried again, and it took and now the tops of Popups are NOT being clipped!!

So, the misalignment of my monitors IS what was causing this. So, perhaps this merits a look?!?
Top of PopUp no longer clipped!
Top of PopUp no longer clipped!
PopUpNoLongerClipped01.png (25.69 KiB) Viewed 2394 times

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by petar.suknjaja » 10 Oct 2018 17:19

Hi,
So it worked at last?
Kind regards,
Petar

steve42lawson

#5 Post by steve42lawson » 10 Oct 2018 18:38

Yes, but there is still a bug to consider:

Popups can appear with their top clipped off, because they are positioned too high, resulting in:
  • A popup that can't be dragged, because the drag bar is not accessible.
  • A popup that has some of it's functionality gone, or information unreadable.
This can happen on multiple monitor systems where the positioning is skewed [as Illustrated above].

Why would anyone's monitors be skewed? Perhaps to deal with a Windows quirk, where the mouse pointer hangs up at the upper, or lower edge between monitors, when one is moving the mouse pointer from one monitor to another. This seems to happen when the monitors have different resolutions, or are by different manufacturers.

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Wish List”