New editor from scratch

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

New editor from scratch

#1 Post by szlatyka » 19 Aug 2015 17:35

Please make a new editor and let's pretend the current one never existed. This has to be the most broken source editor I've ever encountered. If I may make a suggestion: Notepad++ is widely regarded as a solid, light-weight yet feature-packed OPEN-SOURCE editor based on Scintilla, another open-source project. It just works. I'm sure you could integrate it in your software without too much trouble.

Also, in the near future you should face-lift the entire UI. It's very mid-90s and not too ergonomic to use, especially the preferences are hard to navigate. As a UI/UX designer I'd be happy to help you with this, as I think the compiler and libraries are top-notch and the suite deserves a better UI.

biljana.nedeljkovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: New editor from scratch

#2 Post by biljana.nedeljkovic » 20 Aug 2015 09:52

Hello,

thank you for your suggestion. The new UI would definitely look nice with some changes you have mentioned.

I will forward this to our development team so they can discuss about possible changes.

Best regards,
Biljana

Toley

#3 Post by Toley » 20 Aug 2015 12:07

+1 for this suggestion. We are now in 2015 the IDE is old and obsolete and done with tools from the 90's. It's time to move up guys.
Serge T.
Learning is an endeless process but it must start somewhere!

janni

#4 Post by janni » 20 Aug 2015 15:32

Code editor is certainly the worst element of mE compilers. At least this part requires instant replacement (+5 years of 'fixing' it did not lead to any visible improvement).

Dominic75

#5 Post by Dominic75 » 26 Aug 2015 13:38

Couldn't agree more. This is not the first time this has been suggested. With all the dev tools available these days, i don't see how the UI never practically changed. I don't think replacing the UI would be that much of work since all the (code) functionalities could be kept. Using something like DevExpress/Telerik/Infragistic should be pretty straightforward to make major UI changes, i.e bring it to the 21st century...

UnderCaffeinated

#6 Post by UnderCaffeinated » 17 Nov 2015 11:34

A thousand times THIS!

I have developed on a few different platforms and while I like the relatively lightweight feel of mikro's IDE compared to the behemoth of (for example) CodeWarrior 10+ (bloated Eclipse IDE), the editor is truly awful and actively hinders my work - I spend more time trying to get code to indent properly (and then undoing random changes to indentation the editor has made on re-loading the file) than I do getting any useful code written.

The editor makes me reluctant to use any Mikroe product for future developments even though the rest of the setup (dev board, included libraries, programmer) is pretty good and has got us up & running quite quickly.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by filip » 20 Nov 2015 13:41

Hi,

I apologize for the inconvenience with the IDE.

We have in plans to upgrade it, I'm sure you will like it after that.

Regards,
Filip.

ilferrari

#8 Post by ilferrari » 20 Nov 2015 13:57

UnderCaffeinated wrote:I spend more time trying to get code to indent properly (and then undoing random changes to indentation the editor has made on re-loading the file) than I do getting any useful code written.
First thing I do is go into editor settings and disable smart tabs, and manually configure them to 4 spaces. Never had problems.

peini

#9 Post by peini » 07 Jan 2016 09:45

Please also have a look at my topic here:
http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=66558

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Wish List”