Project confusion

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Project confusion

#1 Post by ks » 07 Apr 2010 11:03

Hello

I'm so confused. Whenever i like to change something concerning my project i go thru all these three menus and usually it is in the last choise:

I mean View/Project settings, Project/EditProject and View/Project manager.
Coud they be combined or renamed somehow to make them more logical to access?

anikolic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Project confusion

#2 Post by anikolic » 08 Apr 2010 12:37

Hello,

View is the menu that helps you organize your visual settings of the working environment. It is usually used to Show/Hide docking panels only. Therefore:
1. View->Project Settings option enables you to Show/Hide Project Settings docking panel which is used for quickly setting the MCU clock and build type
2. View->Project manager option enables you to Show/Hide Project Manager docking panel which is used for managing your project files (Sources, Headers....)

Project menu is a set of tools and options for more complex project settings and management.
1. Project->Edit Project option opens a window where you are allowed to set Configuration bits and other important project settings.

Are these labels and menu-organizing practices according to what users intuitively expect... is a tricky question. There are several years of development and upgrades behind each compiler from mikroElektronika, and every further change of these settings could only lead to much more confusion than it will bring any prosperity. People are used to this labeling logic, and backward compatibility is such a strong argument why we tend not to change it in the following period also.

I hope it doesn't confuse you very much and slow down your development.

Best regards,
Aleksandar
Web Department Manager

ks

#3 Post by ks » 13 Apr 2010 09:00

Ok then.

I'm still hoping that some day View->Project Settings and Project->Edit Project will be combined and named something like Project -> Mcu and build configuration. In that panel could also be option for automatically "Clear Project Folder".

Regards

ks

#4 Post by ks » 22 Jun 2010 10:39

I'm glad to tell that in MikroC version 3.8 this has been revised. Under Project/Edit Project you find processor selection, clock speed and processor options all on same page. Great!

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Wish List”