Preprocessor not doing calculation when const changes

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Preprocessor not doing calculation when const changes

#1 Post by steve42lawson » 17 Jun 2020 19:51

Having an issue with the pre-processor -- probably because I'm not doing things the MikroC way :lol:

The following code consists of a config.h file, and a main.c file, both in the same project directory. When I change the define value, in config.h, and then do a build, or even a rebuild all, and then check the value in the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG constant [in the main.c file], the value doesn't change -- suggesting the pre-processor didn't detect the change I made in the SOME_DEFED_VAL value, and thus didn't recalculate the constant - even though, if I Ctrl+Space on the SOME_DEFED_VAL in the main.c file, it shows the new value!

BUT

If I make any sort of change in in the main.c file, the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG value updates to the proper value [i.e. the calculation is performed].

BTW: In this case I have the MCU arbitrarily set to P16F15344
BTW2: When I say "main.c" I'm speaking euphemistically -- I really referring to my "BugReport_preProcNoCalc.c" file -- I suppose I shoodda just called it "main.c"!

config.h

Code: Select all

#define SOME_DEFED_VAL   500
main.c

#include "config.h"

const unsigned int SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG = (unsigned int)(3 * SOME_DEFED_VAL);

void main() 
{
    while(1)
    {
        ;  // Twiddle digits
    }
}
The following screenshot sequence tells the story [I had more screenshots, but I could only attach 3, so story not as good as it could have been ;) ]:
Following the first compile, the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG  value is correct.
Following the first compile, the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG value is correct.
SShot03.png (117.19 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
After changing the SOME_DEFED_VAL  in config.h, from 500, to 400, I did another compile.  This screen shot shows that the SOME_DEFED_VAL  correctly registers as 400 in the main.c file.
After changing the SOME_DEFED_VAL in config.h, from 500, to 400, I did another compile. This screen shot shows that the SOME_DEFED_VAL correctly registers as 400 in the main.c file.
SShot06.png (116.73 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
BUT, the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG value hasn't changed.  It should be 1200.
BUT, the SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG value hasn't changed. It should be 1200.
SShot07.png (49.85 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
If I could add just one more screen shot, I could show you the result of adding a space in the main.com file, then recompiling: The SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG becomes 1200, which is the correct value.

The Compiler/Linker messages show nothing about compiling the config.h file -- sorry that got covered up.
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

Sparky1039

Re: Preprocessor not doing calculation when const changes

#2 Post by Sparky1039 » 18 Jun 2020 06:52

Be careful with the definition of constant. A constant is defined at compile time not run time. By this declaration it is not a "variable" anymore and the code is not allowed to modify it during execution, even when initializing global variables. A better way to deal with this is to generate an equation in the header like...

#define SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG (SOME_DEFED_VAL * 3)
Or just make this a plain variable. Since you declared it before any code, this makes it global in scope and its computed contents will be preserved throughout the program.

unsigned int SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG = 3 * SOME_DEFED_VAL;
Lastly, there is no need to cast the result since the computed value will fit within the declared variable size.

steve42lawson

Re: Preprocessor not doing calculation when const changes

#3 Post by steve42lawson » 18 Jun 2020 22:20

Sparky1039 wrote:
18 Jun 2020 06:52
Be careful with the definition of constant. A constant is defined at compile time not run time. By this declaration it is not a "variable" anymore and the code is not allowed to modify it during execution, even when initializing global variables. A better way to deal with this is to generate an equation in the header like...

#define SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG (SOME_DEFED_VAL * 3)
You're so right! Thank you.
Sparky1039 wrote:
Or just make this a plain variable. Since you declared it before any code, this makes it global in scope and its computed contents will be preserved throughout the program.

unsigned int SOME_CALC_USING_CONFIG = 3 * SOME_DEFED_VAL;
I actually tried that, but the same thing happened. BUT, the real solution is already stated!
Sparky1039 wrote:
Lastly, there is no need to cast the result since the computed value will fit within the declared variable size.
I suspected, but decided to leave it in case I ever need to port this code -- I've worked with temperamental [poorly conceived?] compilers that have left me superstitious :wink:
But, am I potentially masking a compiler warning, should the computation exceed the declared variable size -- baring in mind that the SOME_DEFED_VAL could be changed in the future?
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC General”