How to proceed without a device definition

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

How to proceed without a device definition

#1 Post by LanceBeasley » 08 Jul 2016 19:33

I need to write code for the new PC16LF18323, but the device definition is missing. It would appear mikroC Pro isn't usable without the right definition. What do I do now?

fred85

Re: How to proceed without a device definition

#2 Post by fred85 » 09 Jul 2016 01:01

Either find another chip that is supported by the compiller or use another compiller. The PIC compillers are not kept up to date and in some cases are lagging by years. Mplab is free.

see
http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 4&start=30

Basically if you buy a PIC compiller or any of their PIC hardware all the proceeds go to their ARM or FTDI compillers.

Its been over a year since a meaningful update was done on their 8b compiller so I wouldn't hold my breath. There is also a matter of this bug

http://forum.mikroe.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=65692

checker

#3 Post by checker » 09 Jul 2016 08:26

you can wait for the standard reply of: `unfortunately it is not supported yet, will forward/suggest to developers, will be fixed in a later update.`

come back in 3 more years to find nothing has been done assuming mikroC is still around and being supported... if you consider what they have been updating as support, next update will only include vtft and maybe some minor bug fixes.

or do as fred85 suggests, your chances of it being fixed are zero to none.

p.erasmus

#4 Post by p.erasmus » 09 Jul 2016 11:26

checker wrote:you can wait for the standard reply of: `unfortunately it is not supported yet, will forward/suggest to developers, will be fixed in a later update.`
Thats what you will hear from mE.
come back in 3 more years to find nothing has been done
unfortunately this is true
your chances of it being fixed are zero to none.
This is also true
mikroC once was a great tool for PIC however that has changed since they added the ARM compilers they have abandoned the PIC compilers although thy try to say otherwise in the Forum but thats all just lies to keep on selling PIC compilers that the revenue can support the ARM development they day will come when they are honest and say that they discontinue PIC move on while you have the chance
P.Erasmus
Saratov,Russia
--------------------------------------------------------------

biljana.nedeljkovic
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by biljana.nedeljkovic » 11 Jul 2016 09:55

Hello,

We appreciate any kind of feedback.

If we decide to ever abandon any of our compiler lines, we will announce it.
I assure you PIC compilers are still active and we have on our schedule to have an update for it.

This MCU will be supported.

Best regards,
Biljana

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC General”