Why all this???

General discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Why all this???

#1 Post by jumper » 31 Mar 2009 15:10

Hi,

I have started to look at the Pro version and .....

With the new LCD library, where did the RW pin go? In the 8.2 the init requires RS RW EN and the data pins.. in the PRO version I can't se RW mentioned. And why the extra work of setting directions of the pins?

WHY o WHY do I need to both write the code first AND select what library to include? One could assume that IF I wrote IntToSTR(x,n) I wanted the compiler to include that in the code but NOOOO I also must know what library to put a check box or it will not be recognized as a valid function, in his case conversions library must be selected.

And if I put a folder on my desktop named "pro test" with a space in te folder name and in that folder creates a new project called "pro test" (also with a space the entire IDE refuses to show any windows except from the main function. The old compiler had issues with space in file names, but isnt space a valid character?

but since it is a bad habit to only complain I would like to say that I do like the colours in the new IDE.

Tjank you

Mince-n-Tatties

Re: Why all this???

#2 Post by Mince-n-Tatties » 31 Mar 2009 20:46

jumper wrote:Hi,

I have started to look at the Pro version and .....

With the new LCD library, where did the RW pin go? In the 8.2 the init requires RS RW EN and the data pins.. in the PRO version I can't se RW mentioned. And why the extra work of setting directions of the pins?
this is the 4bit interface, the easypic5 has the R/W pin tied to ground on the 4bit interface location so there is little point in providing a drive pin (yes it does mean its specific to this layout and does not help if you want to use your own hardware setup and actually control R/W, but then this is only really required if you want to implement the busy flag option )

dont get why its required to set bit direction either given that write pin is tied lo so there is no ability to implement read option and hence no need to change I/O pin direction.

for me the greater sad point is that there is no 8 bit LCD library! i find myself asking again why-o-why wasnt a tool to bring old libraries in not provided pre-mikroc pro release!
jumper wrote: WHY o WHY do I need to both write the code first AND select what library to include? One could assume that IF I wrote IntToSTR(x,n) I wanted the compiler to include that in the code but NOOOO I also must know what library to put a check box or it will not be recognized as a valid function, in his case conversions library must be selected.
what can i say, other than total agreement.
jumper wrote: but since it is a bad habit to only complain I would like to say that I do like the colours in the new IDE.
:lol: your European! dont subscribe to the american school of business... finish on a high etc :lol:

jumper

Well ...

#3 Post by jumper » 01 Apr 2009 13:21

I also would like to mention the kick ass build time! That is way better than 8.2.

goran.marinkovic
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by goran.marinkovic » 03 Apr 2009 15:38

Hi,

I will inform our Software developers about this,
and they will take this into the consideration.

Regards

mrinvincible

#5 Post by mrinvincible » 18 Apr 2009 14:05

Hi,

Using 4bit LCD saves resources. That is why they already phased it out of the new version.

Just connect RW and the first four data lines of the LCD to the ground and you are good to go!

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC General”