Problems with v 6.60

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

Problems with v 6.60

#1 Post by janni » 26 May 2015 02:11

As the practice to issue beta versions is long gone, there's little sense in analyzing errors of faulty releases. Apparently, it leads only to new faulty releases.

Just to warn those that use library packages - better skip this 'upgrade' or you may end up with a lot of work manually correcting definition files and working with erratically behaving IDE. Judging from the description of this release, you won't lose much, and hopefully the wait for next revision won't be too long.

Dany

Re: Problems with v 6.60

#2 Post by Dany » 26 May 2015 09:24

janni wrote:As the practice to issue beta versions is long gone, there's little sense in analyzing errors of faulty releases. Apparently, it leads only to new faulty releases.
What a pity! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

filip
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by filip » 27 May 2015 08:55

Hi,

We will do our best to sort out this error and update the compiler as soon as possible,
I apologize for these issues.

Regards,
Filip.

Dany

#4 Post by Dany » 26 May 2016 14:38

janni wrote:As the practice to issue beta versions is long gone, there's little sense in analyzing errors of faulty releases. Apparently, it leads only to new faulty releases.

Just to warn those that use library packages - better skip this 'upgrade' or you may end up with a lot of work manually correcting definition files and working with erratically behaving IDE. Judging from the description of this release, you won't lose much, and hopefully the wait for next revision won't be too long.
Is this problem solved in one of the following versions (6.6.3 is the newest one now)? Is it worth while to download 6.6.3?
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)

janni

#5 Post by janni » 26 May 2016 16:07

Hi Dany,

I've tried to install v6.6.3 of mB (wouldn't risk mP as I need it) and Package Manager (newest version 3.6) failed miserably to modify definition files while restoring packages so I guess the answer is no, it hasn't been fixed - or has resurfaced. As for v6.6.3, it doesn't bring anything that would make it worth installing (nothing really has been done with PIC compilers for last two years :( ).

Dany

#6 Post by Dany » 26 May 2016 19:07

janni wrote:Hi Dany,

I've tried to install v6.6.3 of mB (wouldn't risk mP as I need it) and Package Manager (newest version 3.6) failed miserably to modify definition files while restoring packages so I guess the answer is no, it hasn't been fixed - or has resurfaced. As for v6.6.3, it doesn't bring anything that would make it worth installing (nothing really has been done with PIC compilers for last two years :( ).
Thanks!
Kind regards, Dany.

Malcolm_M

#7 Post by Malcolm_M » 26 May 2016 22:06

Hi janni,

I am currently using V5.6.1 on an old XP machine and will be upgrading to a newer PC soon. I am thinking it is also a good time to upgrade mP and ask for your advice on the mP version I should select?

janni

#8 Post by janni » 27 May 2016 00:35

Compiler practically did not change from version 6.6.0, and few (if any) processors were added. Consecutive cosmetic changes introduced new quirks and then removed them in turn (or not).
Version 6.6.1 fixed the problem with recalling backed-up packages introduced in v. 6.6.0. Version 6.6.2 was an online upgrade so this problem could not arise, but a minor bug concerning the Lo, Hi, Higher, Highest, LoWord, HiWord functions was introduced. It was removed in a beta of v. 6.6.3 (presented only for mB) but the fix didn't make it to the final version.

If you have library packages installed, then v. 6.6.1 seems optimal (with or without upgrade to 6.6.2). If you like the auto-appearing sidebars, you definitely shouldn't move to version 6.6.3 as it lacks them.

Malcolm_M

#9 Post by Malcolm_M » 27 May 2016 16:07

Hi janni,

Many thanks and V6.6.1 it will be.

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Beta Testing”