No Hex file generated by 4.1

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal PRO for PIC.
Author

No Hex file generated by 4.1

#1 Post by Rotary_Ed » 02 Oct 2010 00:14

Well, despite a few small problems with the program suite - I thought things went really well with the new 4.1 compiler. However, other quirks are starting to appear.

Now the compiler will not generate Hex code. I can compile the program (with no errors) and everything appears normal - but there is no hex file generated. ASM files, MCL files, ihex, etc - but NO HEX FILE. I can clean out the project folder of all but the source files and it will generate the rest of the files when it compiles but no HEX file. I check the OUTPUT options under the tools folder and everything appears correct.

I tried several projects all of which had compiled earlier. I closed the IDE and reopened it with several different projects and while it compiles without error and all appears normal - no hex file is generate on any.

Yes, I am going to file a bug report with my project code, but thought I would ask if anyone else has encountered this problem. All was working well in this regard until this evening when I attempted to compile a project that had been compiling without problem earlier. Arggg!

I am going to reboot my computer and see if that does anything - but wanted to get this message off first.
Thanks for any response
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA
Rv-6A N494BW Rotary Powered

Dany

Re: No Hex file generated by 4.1

#2 Post by Dany » 02 Oct 2010 09:12

Rotary_Ed wrote:Well, despite a few small problems with the program suite - I thought things went really well with the new 4.1 compiler. However, other quirks are starting to appear.

Now the compiler will not generate Hex code. I can compile the program (with no errors) and everything appears normal - but there is no hex file generated. ASM files, MCL files, ihex, etc - but NO HEX FILE. I can clean out the project folder of all but the source files and it will generate the rest of the files when it compiles but no HEX file. I check the OUTPUT options under the tools folder and everything appears correct.

I tried several projects all of which had compiled earlier. I closed the IDE and reopened it with several different projects and while it compiles without error and all appears normal - no hex file is generate on any.

Yes, I am going to file a bug report with my project code, but thought I would ask if anyone else has encountered this problem. All was working well in this regard until this evening when I attempted to compile a project that had been compiling without problem earlier. Arggg!

I am going to reboot my computer and see if that does anything - but wanted to get this message off first.
Thanks for any response
Hi Ed, no problems here...
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

Rotary_Ed

#3 Post by Rotary_Ed » 02 Oct 2010 13:14

Thanks, Dany

I am going to try uninstalling and reinstalling the 4.1 compiler. Since no one else appears to be having the problem, I have to assume its something to do with the interaction between the compiler and my operating system. But, where to start and why did it work fine initially? Ah, if I were just a bit smarter, I might be able to figure this out :?
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

#4 Post by Rotary_Ed » 02 Oct 2010 14:45

Ok, I've reinstalled the compiler three times, even downloaded a new compiler installation file thinking that perhaps the first one had somehow got corrupted. I still can not get the compiler to generate an Hex file. I notice that when I compile a project that it used to hesistate a second or two between the time the message box indicated a successful compilation when it indicated "Finished". There is no hesistation or delay now.

Also, if I use the Project "Clean" function where as it used to indicate there were 5 files deleted, it now only indicates that 2 files are deleted - so apparently some files in addition to the Hex file is not being generated.

I have attached a zipped copy of my project file - if anyone is inclined to give it a compile on their system I would appreciate it - that way if successful then I can figure its something in my installation - but, if you can not get it to generate an hex file then it must be something in my code.

Disregard - the forum PPB will not permit me to upload my zipped file as it exceeds thte max 256 KB size permitted.

I checked the command line and can not determine if anything is amiss there:

0 1 mPPic.exe -DBG -pP18F6722 -MSF -Y -RA -O11111014 -fo32 -N"C:\Users\Ed\Technical July 2010\Programming Projects EIC EFISM 2010\Pro 4.1 Project Files Oct 2010\EFISM 4.1 Oct 2010\EFISM Oct 2010\VP3.8 Sept 30 2010 18F6722 W4 EEPROM Init\Fuel_Monitor_Pro.mpppi" -SP"C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroPascal PRO for PIC\Defs\" -SP"C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroPascal PRO for PIC\uses\P18\" -SP"C:\Users\Ed\Technical July 2010\Programming Projects EIC EFISM 2010\Pro 4.1 Project Files Oct 2010\EFISM 4.1 Oct 2010\EFISM Oct 2010\VP3.8 Sept 30 2010 18F6722 W4 EEPROM Init\" -EH"C:\Users\Ed\Technical July 2010\Programming Projects EIC EFISM 2010\Pro 4.1 Project Files Oct 2010\EFISM 4.1 Oct 2010\EFISM Oct 2010\VP3.8 Sept 30 2010 18F6722 W4 EEPROM Init\Fuel_Monitor_Pro.ihex" "__Lib_Math.mcl" "__Lib_MathDouble.mcl" "__Lib_System.mcl" "__Lib_Delays.mcl" "__Lib_String.mcl" "__Lib_Conversions.mcl" "__Lib_Trigon.mcl" "__Lib_ADC_A_D.mcl" "__Lib_EEPROM_1024.mcl" "__Lib_UART_c67g12.mcl" "Fuel_Monitor_Pro.mpas" "Univision_OLED.mpas" "AF_Indicator.mpas" "Calibrate4.mpas" "Data_Acq.mpas" "Data_Display.mpas" "Data_Store.mpas" "Display_Handler.mpas" "EA.mpas" "EC2_Map.mpas" "EC2_USART.mpas" "Fuel_Monitor_Revisions.mpas" "Fuel_Monitor_Variables.mpas" "Monitor_Math.mpas" "Monitor_Procedures.mpas" "Univision_Fonts.mpas" "EEPROM_Initialize.mpas"
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

#5 Post by Rotary_Ed » 02 Oct 2010 15:15

Ok, given up on 4.1 for the moment. I went back to MKP 3.8 and the code compiled and generated a hex file with no problem. So it does not appear to be a problem with my source code.

I suspect it is some interaction between 4.1 and my Operation system (window 7 Home Premium edition) - but, I don't have a clue as where to start looking. I've tried running 4.1 giving it adminstrators previlges even though it does not require it. But, so far nothing I've tried has returned 4.1 to generating my code even though the first few times of compilation there was no problem.

Be interested if anyone else encounters the same problem and their solution.

Thanks
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Rotary_Ed

Re: No Hex file generated by 4.1 - Prolem solved

#6 Post by Rotary_Ed » 03 Oct 2010 20:28

My friend, Dany, identify the problem as to why my MKP 4.1 would not generate a Hex file.

Thanks a million Dany, I would have never spotted the cause of the problem.

It turns out MKP 4.1 has a problem with an include file I have had in my program for years. It appears that I manage to confuse MKP 4.1 with it.

I was having problem in that MKP 4.1 was not generating an Hex file - it would appear to compile without any error message, but simply would not generate an Hex file. MKP 3.8 compiler would generate a file from the same source code without any problem.

My friend Dany, discovered that the problem was in how the compiler deal with "include" files. In my include file I had a number of defines and undefines (see below):

Hi Ed,

Apparently the "$UNDEFINE.."s were the reason:

No linking with:
//Undefine all flags first to ensure starting with clean slate
{$UNDEFINE ROTARY} //makes it standard rotary
{$UNDEFINE RENESIS} //Makes it Renesis (two different K and Limits
{$UNDEFINE SUBARUSIX} //Change it from rotary to Subaru six
{$UNDEFINE ROTARY} //makes it standard rotary
{$UNDEFINE EC}
{$UNDEFINE EC2} //Makes it Ec2 Version
{$UNDEFINE STAGED}

Linking with:
//Undefine all flags first to ensure starting with clean slate
//{$UNDEFINE ROTARY} //makes it standard rotary
//{$UNDEFINE RENESIS} //Makes it Renesis (two different K and Limits
//{$UNDEFINE SUBARUSIX} //Change it from rotary to Subaru six
//{$UNDEFINE ROTARY} //makes it standard rotary
//{$UNDEFINE EC}
//{$UNDEFINE EC2} //Makes it Ec2 Version
//{$UNDEFINE STAGED}

When these lines of code were reduced down to

{$DEFINE EC} //Makes it EC
{$DEFINE STAGED} //Makes it Staged Version

MKP 4.1 again beging generating the Hex code file

So there is some difference in the way MKP 4.1 handles an Include file than 3.8 did. MKP 3.8 had no problem with that include file, but 4.1 clearly did.

Again my thanks to Dany!!
Rotary_Ed
Matthews, NC USA

Return to “mikroPascal PRO for PIC Beta Testing”