Bugs and feature requests for the editor

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for PIC.
Author

Bugs and feature requests for the editor

#1 Post by ira » 12 Jun 2015 22:36

The Keys Ctrl+Shift+L and Ctrl+Shift+C change the selection modes but are not documented, neither is the command to get back to normal mode.

Also in Ctrl+Shift+L, line select mode, Tab and Ctrl+Z / Undo are all messed up even with nothing selected. I keep having to quit without saving to recover from what happens when I accidentally press Ctrl+Shift+L

A feature I desperately miss that's in every other editor I use is the ability to select a token and have all the other instances of that token in the document also be highlighted. It makes reading code ever so much easier.

Also in the new version, 6.6.1, I keep changing the editor settings and then when I quit and restart the settings were not saved. And I really dislike all the project manager, library manager and other tabs out permanently, I want them as Auto Hide like they were before I updated.

Ira

viktor.milovanovic

Re: Bugs and feature requests for the editor

#2 Post by viktor.milovanovic » 15 Jun 2015 13:27

Hi,

You can change what tabs are going to be opened when you start your compiler by making a new layout.
As for the bugs and the token feature, I will forward your suggestions to our software development team.

ira

#3 Post by ira » 19 Jun 2015 23:50

You might suggest to the developers that having options that are only on tool bars is not very Windows like, nor is it friendly. I spent a long time looking for ways to change that and never found it as one of the first things I always do is get rid of all the toolbars I don't use.

Also, is there a reason you don't install into "c:\Progrom Files(X86)\Mikroelektronika\mikroC PRO for PIC" like you would if you were being a properly behaved Windows program? Every time I start your program I get the stupid UAC warning because you're not following the rules. I can understand lots of choices, but I have no idea why you might have picked:

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\Mikroelektronika\mikroC PRO for PIC\"

That is specifically not a place for executable files.

Ira

viktor.milovanovic

#4 Post by viktor.milovanovic » 23 Jun 2015 15:40

Hi,

The compiler is installed in that folder because of live updates, and UAC problems. If it was installed in program files, it would always ask for permission.
Our developers have already thought about other solutions for this.
There's some information here also: https://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 78&t=59031

Best regards,

Viktor Milovanovic

ira

#5 Post by ira » 23 Jun 2015 18:07

Asking a user to turn off UAC means the developer does not understand something about windows or how products should be installed. I have many other products and compilers who don't bring up the UAC box every time they are run.

Telling me it's because of updates means something else is wrong. I would not be be surprised to see the UAC dialog for updates and install, I am offended you think it's OK to ask me to disable UAC to use your program.

Ira

aCkO

#6 Post by aCkO » 24 Jun 2015 00:11

viktor.milovanovic wrote:If it was installed in program files, it would always ask for permission.
Maybe you should rethink the installer strategy. The way things are now, all mE software can be used without installer. You could even deliver the software in a simple ZIP package. I agree with ira that UAC is causing a lot of trouble that can easily be avoided with modest development effort.

Common Windows software development practice says that:
1. application/program files should be placed into "Program Files" folder,
2. app configuration/settings should go into "Application Data" folder
3. all other content should reside in "Documents" folder (user or public)

Also, requiring administrative privileges for software updates should not be a requirement, especially if the user is not presented with a request dialog for elevated privileges. I have written about this in a few posts, but it seems this suggestion was never forwarded to the developers. Just add the required privileges to the app manifest and there should be no confusion. I personally write applications that require administrator privileges only during installation. It is possible to update application using MSI without requiring administrator privileges if the installer and update package are signed using the same digital certificate. This is known as UAC patching (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx)

Regards

Dominic75

#7 Post by Dominic75 » 24 Jun 2015 01:56

+1 for aCkO an ira. I never understood why ME installs all there stuff there. From all the software i have installed, they are the only to install to the "public" folder. I also write software and i can't understand why they do that...

viktor.milovanovic

#8 Post by viktor.milovanovic » 24 Jun 2015 10:08

Hello,

Thank you aCko and ira.
As I mentioned: our developers are already working on a more convenient solution for this. But I will certainly pass them your suggestions.

Best regards,

Viktor Milovanovic

Return to “mikroC PRO for PIC Beta Testing”