AVR Debugger: Software & Hardware

General discussion on mikroC PRO for AVR.
Author

AVR Debugger: Software & Hardware

#1 Post by rrsquez » 11 Feb 2016 17:19

Hello. I either have a real bug or I am not using the "Software Debugger" correctly. I have already submitted the Bug Report through that channel (the bug window pops up). It fails on me every time. I am using the ATmega2561 chip.

I was also wondering what is the status on a Hardware Debugger for AVR? Is one available? I saw that "AVR Programmer". Does that support hardware debugging? Do I need to have that to do Software Debug, or is that a legitimate bug?

I also saw posts on using Atmel's AVR Studio and generating a "coff" file to debug hardware. I don't see how AVR Studio is going to be able to trace through my MikroCPro code though. None of the MikroC library commands make any sense to AVR Studio as they are not ANSI C.

Please make a recommendation on that AVR Programmer; is this the tool I need to do debugging? Or should I focus on using AVR Studio? I already have JTAG debugger that is compatible with it. I prefer to use MikroC Pro all the way though.

Thank you, Richard V

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

Re: AVR Debugger: Software & Hardware

#2 Post by lana.arsic » 19 Feb 2016 14:36

Hi,

When the bug window pops up,
you should fill required fields and send the message on e-mail: bugreport@mikroe.com.

Unfortunately, our mikroProg for AVR cannot do hardware debugging.

But you should be able to use COFF file for hardware debugging with AVR Hardware Debugger.

More about how to use generated COFF file in AVR Studio you can find at the link bellow:

http://www.mikroe.com/download/eng/docu ... f_file.htm

COFF file contains all the information necessary for high-level debugging in AVR Studio.

Best regards,
Lana

Return to “mikroC PRO for AVR General”