'Run' in debugger *AND* failed 'if' test

Beta Testing discussion on mikroC PRO for AVR.
Author

'Run' in debugger *AND* failed 'if' test

#1 Post by sadavis80 » 17 Nov 2008 19:10

The debugger can't seem to 'run' - each press of F9 restarts the debugger from scratch. There is no 'run to cursor' or 'run to breakpoint' or any way I can see except SINGLE STEPPING to get 700 counts into a loop (unless you SKIP all the intervening iterations by externally SETTING the value of the loop counter :(.
------------------------
'If test' (at least in the debugger)
void main() {
long cntr;

while (1) {
cntr += 1;
if (cntr > 100000L) {
call_procedure();
}
}

call_procedure gets called any time that cntr exceeds 711 ??? What the h__??

Steve

sadavis80

#2 Post by sadavis80 » 18 Nov 2008 02:31

OK - I'm (slowly) working my way through here. F6 seems to 'run' the debugger after it's started with F9 (but clicking on it in the RUN box doesn't do it - either use F6 or click or Click on 'Run/Pause Debugger' from the Watch window (WHY can't the Watch window a). STAY where I put it and b). STAY open each time I start the debugger) ??

I'm sure I'll get all this figured out - without any help from mE apparently.
I'm seeing a BUNCH of other things that don't work 'quite right' ... but since no one's paying any attention, I won't waste my time outlining them.

Steve

srdjan
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by srdjan » 18 Nov 2008 09:39

sadavis80 wrote:OK - I'm (slowly) working my way through here. F6 seems to 'run' the debugger after it's started with F9 (but clicking on it in the RUN box doesn't do it - either use F6 or click or Click on 'Run/Pause Debugger' from the Watch window

- Could you clear this up a little bit.
sadavis80 wrote: (WHY can't the Watch window a). STAY where I put it and b). STAY open each time I start the debugger) ??
a).b). You need to save 'debug' layout with the watch window opened.
sadavis80 wrote: I'm sure I'll get all this figured out - without any help from mE apparently.
I'm seeing a BUNCH of other things that don't work 'quite right' ... but since no one's paying any attention, I won't waste my time outlining them.
Steve
- We are only few different time zones away from you :)
We have already fixed bug you have reported here http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87384#87384, so
please, do give us your other bug reports.
Thank you for helping us improve our compiler.

sadavis80

#4 Post by sadavis80 » 18 Nov 2008 14:44

srdjan wrote:
sadavis80 wrote:OK - I'm (slowly) working my way through here. F6 seems to 'run' the debugger after it's started with F9 (but clicking on it in the RUN box doesn't do it - either use F6 or click or Click on 'Run/Pause Debugger' from the Watch window

- Could you clear this up a little bit.
I did not figure out that F6 would 'run' the debugger until I found the hint at the top of the WATCH window that said 'Run/Pause Debugger (F6)". In the main menu dropdown under RUN, it says only Pause for F6. (it DOES work from clicking on the dropdown under RUN - just didn't seem to work the first time I tried it - I might have had other things going on as I'm still new to this IDE.
srdjan wrote:
sadavis80 wrote: (WHY can't the Watch window a). STAY where I put it and b). STAY open each time I start the debugger) ??
a).b). You need to save 'debug' layout with the watch window opened.
Yes - I did finally figure that out. It won't let me save the default configuration, but I can save others.

I have more issues - would you prefer I continue them under this thread or open a new topic for each one?
I should say that I *DO* like this version so far. It seems to be considerably better than the Pascal version I started with.
PS - did you also note the issue with the 'if statement' listed at the top of this thread?
Steve

srdjan
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by srdjan » 18 Nov 2008 17:05

sadavis80 wrote: In the main menu dropdown under RUN, it says only Pause for F6.
- You are right about this one. We will fix this.
sadavis80 wrote: I have more issues - would you prefer I continue them under this thread or open a new topic for each one?
- You should open a new thread for each new report. Thanks.
sadavis80 wrote: PS - did you also note the issue with the 'if statement' listed at the top of this thread?
Steve
- I did try the example and it worked at my side. Could you send me a whole project folder to srdjan@mikroe.com, with detailed explanation of the problem?

sadavis80

#6 Post by sadavis80 » 18 Nov 2008 18:00

srdjan wrote: - I did try the example and it worked at my side. Could you send me a whole project folder to srdjan@mikroe.com, with detailed explanation of the problem?
I can't seem to duplicate it myself now. Not sure what was going on as I am confident of what I saw. I'll keep an eye out for it and 'grab' it if it happens again.

Now that I can 'Run' (using F6) it might not happen again :).
Steve

sadavis80

#7 Post by sadavis80 » 18 Nov 2008 21:48

Sending an email now with project attached.
Steve

Return to “mikroC PRO for AVR Beta Testing”