10fxx support......

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

MikroBASIC 10f support

#31 Post by Niki » 12 Oct 2006 13:11

Ok, I've been thinking about MikroBASIC and here are the changes you would have to make to include 10F support:

Remove Gosub/Return
No functions or procedures
No (mB) function calls within expressions
Reduce stack usage to 8 bytes or less (easy with the above removed)

That's the limitations I'm having to work with on my compiler.. Can't even support word variables on the 10F200 due to the 16 bytes available on the pic.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#32 Post by zristic » 12 Oct 2006 14:41

Niki wrote:I meant advantages of embedding your assembler into the IDE instead of using MpAsm as the back-end..
There are legal issues with this. Also, that extra step means a user has to install MPLAB (the latest version) with support for all PICs, new definition files, linker scripts... Too many things we cannot control.

Btw, our compilers do not generate HEX from ASM, they do it directly from Pascal/Basic/C code. ASM you see on screen is just for user information. We do not have ASM compiler inside our IDE.

Niki

#33 Post by Niki » 12 Oct 2006 16:20

Hi Zristic
zristic wrote:
Niki wrote:I meant advantages of embedding your assembler into the IDE instead of using MpAsm as the back-end..
There are legal issues with this. Also, that extra step means a user has to install MPLAB (the latest version) with support for all PICs, new definition files, linker scripts... Too many things we cannot control.
I thought that may be your answer.
zristic wrote:Btw, our compilers do not generate HEX from ASM, they do it directly from Pascal/Basic/C code. ASM you see on screen is just for user information. We do not have ASM compiler inside our IDE.
Thank you for letting me know!!

Personally, I think that hex/binary templates are too much trouble, so I think I'll have to write my own PIC assembler. Should be quite easy compared to a BASIC language - only 33 instructions :D

LGR

#34 Post by LGR » 12 Oct 2006 16:52

Why do you need to write your own assembler? Can't you simply write instructions to download MPLAB, and feed ASM into it? As long as you're not the one doing the distribution, I don't see how that would be a problem. That's how Linux distros get away with using Microsoft TrueType fonts. They can't distribute them themselves, but they can instruct the end user how to download them for free.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Niki

#35 Post by Niki » 13 Oct 2006 17:24

Hi LGR
LGR wrote:Why do you need to write your own assembler? Can't you simply write instructions to download MPLAB, and feed ASM into it? As long as you're not the one doing the distribution, I don't see how that would be a problem. That's how Linux distros get away with using Microsoft TrueType fonts. They can't distribute them themselves, but they can instruct the end user how to download them for free.
I don't have to write my own assembler, however, detailed knowledge of the pic opcodes would make it easier to write the simulator/ICE system I have planned at a future date..

LGR

#36 Post by LGR » 13 Oct 2006 17:46

True, but the benefit to using MPLAB is that they already have a simulator, and you also have ICD. But if you want to do you own, I'm sure the package would be a lot more tightly integrated. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm hearing good reports about the usability of ME's ICD.
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.

Niki

#37 Post by Niki » 15 Oct 2006 02:49

Hi LGR
LGR wrote:True, but the benefit to using MPLAB is that they already have a simulator, and you also have ICD. But if you want to do you own, I'm sure the package would be a lot more tightly integrated. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm hearing good reports about the usability of ME's ICD.
I haven't been able to use the ICD function as I don't have a recent EasyPIC.
ICD is better than nothing, but you still need to compile & program a PIC each time which is why I would like to make an ICE system.

Niki

Update!

#38 Post by Niki » 07 Nov 2006 02:08

Sorry for lack of updates, but I recently found out I'm going to be a dad :D

I now have hex file generation completed - including a good 2-pass assembler!

The system has also been updated to allow for many numerical formats (more than mB + MPlab support!), for example, you can use (for hex):

0x12345678
H'DEADBEEF'
5Dh

Binary, decimal and octal are also well supported.

Most of the core system has now been completed. Should not be more than 2-3 weeks from release :)

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Update!

#39 Post by zristic » 07 Nov 2006 10:01

Niki wrote:Should not be more than 2-3 weeks from release
I just wanted to ask that :P
OK, I am counting days. :twisted:

Niki

Re: Update!

#40 Post by Niki » 07 Nov 2006 14:52

zristic wrote:
Niki wrote:Should not be more than 2-3 weeks from release
I just wanted to ask that :P
OK, I am counting days. :twisted:
I hope it's 2-3 weeks! Here's my To-Do list :)

Create support web-site (Registered domain yesterday)
Turn compiler into a web-service
Add subversion support
Finish bug testing
Finish writing main commands

Not too much work....

lgrfbs

#41 Post by lgrfbs » 04 Jul 2009 12:54

Niki how is it going with this?
ICQ Mess. = Forums name as ref.
If you see stave/grammatical errors is you welcome too tell me.

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”