Collapsible code and easier code make-up

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

Collapsible code and easier code make-up

#1 Post by Fozzy Vis » 23 Jan 2009 02:32

When opening some Basic code in Notepad++ I noticed that, once I changed the content type to Visual basic, I could easily collapse different parts of the code.
Example: when opening the sample code 7seg_display.pbas, different parts of the code could be hidden. click the '-' sign next to a sub function line and the whole function part in the code would collapse to the first line. Same with loops, if and while statements, and so on. Very handy to keep the screen tidy and only look at the code you're working on.

Maybe it would also be nice to be able to drag a code file outside the MikroBasic program window? I have a dual screen setup, and it would be nice to be able to drag one code file outside the MikroBasic window to the other monitor. That way I could quickly compare two similar programs or write a program based on another. One way of doing that would be to maximize MikroBasic over my two monitors, but than the menus and some buttons would be on the left monitor, while I code on the right one.

Another thing: I constantly find myself pressing backspace, tab and spacebar in order to start the new line of code where I need it to be. It feels like some part in Mikrobasic that hasn't been given enough attention to.
I would like it to work more like in Office Word, so that I don't find myself pressing backspace and space in order to get the right indent every other line. Ofcourse there's some basic lineout, but that's really just a little bit.
Not sure if I make myself clear, if necessary I'll be happy to write out an example.
Ghent, Belgium

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Collapsible code and easier code make-up

#2 Post by zristic » 23 Jan 2009 09:49

The first feature you are writing about is called "Code Folding". We have implemented it in the PRO versions of AVR compilers and it will be also available in PIC compilers. Very soon.

Drag and drop within mikroBasic is supported too, in the PRO version of the compilers.

The automatic indentaion is available as a feature already. Make sure you turn it on by going to Tools->Preferences->Editor->Open Editor Dialog->Options->Smart tab.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Fozzy Vis

#3 Post by Fozzy Vis » 23 Jan 2009 14:03

Zristic,

thanks for your quick reply. Great to hear the folding option will be available in the Pro version, I bought a serial for MikroBasic just some days ago so can't wait for the pro version to come out. Great to see that MikroE is working on it.

About the Drag 'n drop, I don't think I was completely clear. What I mean is to have MikroBasic maximized on one screen, and then still be able to drag one code tab outside that screen, onto my other desktop. That way I can keep looking at the second code on my second screen while writing or outlining code on my main window. Now all code pages are full screen tabs within the MikroBasic window. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there's only one code page that's open/visible at a time. Now I use Notepad++ in Visual Basic style to review code while writing my own in MikroBasic. (I'm a mere beginner). How about also having the option of opening two code tabs in one window next to each other in two panes for those among us with high res screens (thinking >1680)?

The smart Tab feature seems to be enabled by default. At least, it was enabled on my computer. Still I find myself struggling much more then in other programs to find the right indent/tabs for my code. As I'm a beginner, I need/like my code to get a bit more to the right every time I'm starting a new loop/sub/while/... I really think that there's more possible then can be found in MikroBasic right now. If you would like me to, I'll write out an example of what I mean just to clearify...

Maybe there's things I see wrong since I don't have much experience, although that could just be considered a fresh view as well :)
Ghent, Belgium

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”