Code size

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroBasic.
Author

Code size

#1 Post by kotg » 19 Jan 2009 18:20

I just posted a topic elsewhere in this forum about my surprise regarding the amount of program memory some of the library functions consume (specifically functions for handling SD card stuff).

It would be really nice if, in the help files, the amount of memory used by each function was included. For example:
Prototype sub procedure Mmc_Fat_Write(dim byref fdata as byte[512], dim data_len as word)

Returns Nothing.

Description Writes requested number of bytes to the currently assigned file opened for writing.

Parameters:

fdata: data to be written.
data_len: number of bytes to be written.

Memory usage: 1234 bytes
Then we would know what to expect. I thought that I was doing something wrong but if I had the size info, I would have known this was normal.
[b]"So many wasted hours...such a simple solution"[/b]
Check out my website to see what this Geek is up to.... www.TheGeekKing.com.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Code size

#2 Post by zristic » 20 Jan 2009 09:23

We often make changes in compilers which result in less code at the compiler output. Therefore, it would be necessary that we often re-check the declared sizes in the help file and that includes risk of error and misinformation.

However, we are heading towards a final version of the compiler which will be stable, i.e. not to be changed that often. At that moment we might discuss this issue further.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to “mikroBasic Wish List”