Farewell v 8.3...

Beta Testing discussion on mikroPascal.
Author

Farewell v 8.3...

#1 Post by janni » 20 Dec 2008 15:14

From mB forum:
marko.ziv wrote:We expect beta versions of PRO version compilers for PIC family to be released in January.
Looks like we won't see the final release of v 8.3 - there'll be no bug-free version of the 'old' compiler :cry: . And I so hoped for such nice Christmas gift...

Dany

#2 Post by Dany » 20 Dec 2008 18:12

I hope mE takes all the remarks submitted by the bèta testers (if applicable) into account... in the PRO version:cry:
Kind regards, Dany.
Forget your perfect offering. There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in... (L. Cohen)
Remember when we were young? We shone like the sun. (David Gilmour)

marko.ziv
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by marko.ziv » 22 Dec 2008 10:10

Hi,
janni wrote:From mB forum:
marko.ziv wrote:We expect beta versions of PRO version compilers for PIC family to be released in January.
Looks like we won't see the final release of v 8.3 - there'll be no bug-free version of the 'old' compiler :cry: . And I so hoped for such nice Christmas gift...
Then the PRO version will be even nicer New years gift :D
Dany wrote:I hope mE takes all the remarks submitted by the bèta testers (if applicable) into account... in the PRO version:cry:
Of course, and in addition there will be a round of beta testing for the new PRO compilers for PIC
so you will have time to test it properly and add feedback, suggestions etc.

Regards

joseLB

#4 Post by joseLB » 22 Dec 2008 12:21

marko.ziv wrote:Then the PRO version will be even nicer New years gift :D
That's a good news! :lol:
We are waiting anxiously for it.

janni

#5 Post by janni » 22 Dec 2008 12:35

marko.ziv wrote:Then the PRO version will be even nicer New years gift
As much as I appreciate the effort to move things forward, Marko, an untried beta version is not the same as final release :cry: . I was waiting for the v 8.3 release to have something that would let me work safely while the PRO version was tested and perfected (in which I would gladly have taken part :) ). Therefore I'm a bit dissapointed - even though I suspected that promises about relasing v 8.3 would be broken.

joseLB

#6 Post by joseLB » 22 Dec 2008 13:00

Janny, I think I'm a optimistic :D (or a desesperate one :shock: ). I really want to leave v6.x. More now, that I have 2 EP5. For example, I expect that v8 generates smaller code than v6... for example, when we deal with variable bits like A.bit:=... (where "bit" is a byte variable), "for" loops smaller, etc. All that in p16...

As I explained elsewhere in this forum, my 2 bits brain is unable to deal with a unconfident development tool and the debuging of a project at the same time, even being 2... here we call them "tico and teco". Other problem to them 2 is to work with 2 versions of the compiler, that's agains my religion. So, I'm stuck on v6.

Please ME team, also take a look at my post in http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=15

janni

#7 Post by janni » 22 Dec 2008 14:43

joseLB wrote:Janny, I think I'm a optimistic :D (or a desesperate one :shock: ).
So am I. Optimistic for seeing progress made, desperate for a reliable tool. Version 8.3 was supposed to be the latter for the transition period to the PRO version...
As I explained elsewhere in this forum, my 2 bits brain is unable to deal with a unconfident development tool and the debuging of a project at the same time, even being 2... here we call them "tico and teco". Other problem to them 2 is to work with 2 versions of the compiler, that's agains my religion. So, I'm stuck on v6.
I don't expect may brain to be any better than yours :) , so yes, the development tool has to be dependable for me, as well. As you, I'm stuck with older version (in my case 7.0) where (I hope) I know all the bugs and quirks. It's not very convenient to avoid or correct them - hence my disappointment.

Nobody using mP for more or less serious programming will switch to v 8.1 (the last official release) because of it's problems. For some time, the same will apply to the PRO version. Judging from 8051 and AVR forums, even the IDE is not perfected yet...

It'll take some time, Jose, till we'll be able to switch to newer version of the compiler :cry: .

joseLB

#8 Post by joseLB » 23 Dec 2008 01:33

I'm quite sure that very soon we will have a very good Pascal compiler, no mater the number (8x, pro, etc.). In fact I believe that the big problem we are seeing in this release is that ME changed a lot the "ground" of the compilers, IDE, etc. So, they (and we) are paying the price.

And I'm sure that ME sees the importance of the compiler for their hardware sells.

I think that the other problem (and I describe it longly in other topics), is the lack of information. ME could put brief messages in a form of news, even here in the forum, even in a thread that we could not post our comments. With that we would be informed of the progress, dificulties, what they are doing etc. I can imagine that they are afraid to do that and have a lot of posts to answer, discuss, etc. Bu doing the suggested above, they would answer or not the posts in other treads.

Return to “mikroPascal Beta Testing”