Please allow for configurable optimization

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal.
Author

Please allow for configurable optimization

#1 Post by PC Pete » 13 Mar 2009 00:16

I rarely want or need optimisation in my code, and when I do want it, I want to be able to control the optimisation to some extent.

Please provide an option to at least turn optimisation on and off, and even better, when turning it on, allow the option to optimise for speed or code size.

It would be a pretty good idea if the optimisation could also be turned on and off per-procedure/function. Whether that takes the form of a compiler directive or some other mechanism isn't terribly important for me, but the ability to optmise some code and leave others would be very helpful.
Thanks.
PCPete
Data is not Information. Information is not Knowledge. Knowledge is not Wisdom.

Donald Shimoda

Re: Please allow for configurable optimization

#2 Post by Donald Shimoda » 13 Mar 2009 01:05

PC Pete wrote:I rarely want or need optimisation in my code, and when I do want it, I want to be able to control the optimisation to some extent.

Please provide an option to at least turn optimisation on and off, and even better, when turning it on, allow the option to optimise for speed or code size.

It would be a pretty good idea if the optimisation could also be turned on and off per-procedure/function. Whether that takes the form of a compiler directive or some other mechanism isn't terribly important for me, but the ability to optmise some code and leave others would be very helpful.
Thanks.
PCPete
The PRO beta seems to have a global option for optimization levels zero to five.

OTOH, seems like is not working yet.
Donald Shimoda.

Return to “mikroPascal Wish List”