Units, Librarys, Uses as SOURCE code

Post your requests and ideas on the future development of mikroPascal.
Author

Units, Librarys, Uses as SOURCE code

#1 Post by szabi » 11 Aug 2007 09:18

Would it be possible in the future to add all the librarys, functions, units (the Uses directory) as source code like in other compilers, and not as precompiled code?
This way we could make changes by our needs, (or at least see what's going on) and would give a much-much higher transparency, flexibility to our projects.
I've talked to numerous people, who are not using Mikroelectronica's compilers due to this issue.
Thank You, szabi.

milan
mikroElektronika team

#2 Post by milan » 14 Aug 2007 08:42

Hi,

Our compilers have large number of libraries and we are providing a support for them.

Our users are ranging from beginners to professionals.

If we give the library sources then we wouldn't be able to provide the support. Keeping the libraries closed and unchanged we can locate errors faster.

From our support experience it is better to have one version of the library tested many times than to have hundreds if library versions tested couple of times.

I hope you will understand our reasons.

OddOne

#3 Post by OddOne » 20 Aug 2007 23:18

On the ONE hand, I understand the desire for closed-source for consistency in support.

However, on the OTHER hand, nobody that needs to use a microcontroller in an arena where security is critical will ever, ever agree with the idea of having to include closed source library code.

I deal with government/military level security on a regular basis as part of my work (app development for PCs), and I have to make it possible for inspectors to look at the sources for my products even though they're closed-source. I can control the whys and wherefores but still have to make provide the option.

As a result, I won't be using any pack-in library code from any mikro product in any embedded project I work with unless I get to at least inspect the sources. So, there's one customer instantly lost in the interest of "making support easier." (Which I find a strange explanation, BTW. I suspect you really just want to keep people from duplicating segments of your code and support's a convenient excuse to that end.)

You really do need to make sources for library code available at least as an option - charge extra for the additional support or simply exclude modified library code from support as needed.

oO

earlyperl

#4 Post by earlyperl » 02 Dec 2007 15:27

Hello,
i wish open-source librarys too,
as Delphi-developer am i used to it, to use
open source libs.

There are many timing problems they make it
importantly to see the source, for finding bugs in
own code.

Im sure with Opensource-librarys more users would use Mikropascal.

If you make the Sources free or not, i write my own Libs open-source and
hope, that more users do it for an more largenly usergroup.

Best regards
earlyperl

BaCaRdi

#5 Post by BaCaRdi » 04 Jun 2008 16:00

**BUMP**

I think it was very bad to remove the ability to debug in their native pascal. If people wanted to debug in asm they would use mplab, why even bother with a high level compiler. Allot are moving to using mplab and ICD2, even the Linux support, which I love!

Then we are back to my debate on the true benefits of open-source, especially this early in their debugging stages.

-Marc
Remember the great ideas xerox and IBM had. Lets talk why they lost the market share;)
[size=109][color=Red][b]Error[/b]: {Panic!} when trying to load: [reality shell]. kernel: "universe has been halted"...[/color][/size]
[url=http://www.bacardiware.com]Information Underground[/url]

Return to “mikroPascal Wish List”