8051 timing (pwm timer interrupt)

General discussion on mikroC PRO for 8051.
Author

8051 timing (pwm timer interrupt)

#1 Post by ForresterInc » 31 May 2008 17:49

Hi

I'm trying to realise 2 separate PWMs using a AT89S8253 on the Esay8051b by triggering on overflows of timer 0 and 1 (timer 2 is in use for serial communication).

The oscillator crystal is 8MHz. From what I can make of the datasheet for the microcontroller, 1 machine cycle takes 12 oscillator periods to execute. This would mean that @8MHz: 1 machine cycle = 1/8000000 * 12 = 1,5µs.

If I connect an oscilloscope to the output pin, the signal appears completely wrong (much too long, by a factor 40 or so).

This is the code I use for the interrupt routine:

Code: Select all

void puls_Y() org 0x1B ilevel 2
{
	yval = -916 - ((yvalue*166)>>8);
	if(t1out)
		yval = -4000;
	TR1 = 0;
	TL1 = yval & 0xFF;
	TH1 = yval >> 8;
	TR1 = 1;
	t1out = ~t1out;
}
(the code for timer 0 is similar)

The timer is used to drive a servo through the output pin t1out. I (try to) send a pulse between 1375µs (916 machine cycles @ 1,5µs / cycle) and 1625µs by adding a one-byte variable to the 916 value.
This calculation is theoretically sound. The 4000 serves to generate a longer low level.

In practice the timing appears to be a disaster. I've tried counting instructions to realise delays but due to the timing error this appears impossible.

Note1: I haven't tested serial communication yet, but I suspect it will not work, because of the same timing issue (edit: serial doesn't work, probably because of the timing).

Note2: I have a graphical LCD attached, though I can't imagine why this might be a problem

Note3: I tried using the delay_us() function but this seems to suffer from the same timing error; delay_ms() seems to work fine (not verified to the millisecond, but delay_ms(2000) gives what appears to be a 2 second delay)

milan
mikroElektronika team

Re: 8051 timing (pwm timer interrupt)

#2 Post by milan » 02 Jun 2008 15:53

Hi,

let's check the delays problem first,
ForresterInc wrote: Note3: I tried using the delay_us() function but this seems to suffer from the same timing error; delay_ms() seems to work fine (not verified to the millisecond, but delay_ms(2000) gives what appears to be a 2 second delay)
Can you tell us which delay values suffer from the timing error ?
Please post the small code so we can reproduce the problem.

ForresterInc

#3 Post by ForresterInc » 05 Jun 2008 10:39

I've figured out what the problem was. It appears that interrupts and writing to the screen do not mix. I believe the glcd routines may disable the interrupts which means in my code I missed the calculations necessary to produce a correct PWM.

Unfortunately, without source code for the library it is impossible to confirm this, as well as being impossible to predict where the same problems might pop up. The only solution I've found is to disable interrupts before using glcd routines and then enabling them again when done.

In retrospect, this might seem logical (as updating the screen requires a specific sequence and the glcd probably has its own time-out limits) but I would have preferred to keep the interrupts running and see the screen updates go wrong (as this is easily visible).

For future releases, it might be a good idea to write this in the help file if the glcd routines do indeed disable interrupts.

milan
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by milan » 11 Jun 2008 09:17

Hi,
ForresterInc wrote:It appears that interrupts and writing to the screen do not mix. I believe the glcd routines may disable the interrupts which means in my code I missed the calculations necessary to produce a correct PWM.
This is not correct, GLCD routines shouldn't disable interrupts.
Glcd library is not changing interrupt settings.

If you interrupt Glcd and delay routines, they will have bad timing, delays will be longer. This is expected behavior.

If I misunderstood you, please post the example code (small if possible) that will explain the problem.

Return to “mikroC PRO for 8051 General”