next release of mP

Discuss about beta versions of mikroPascal compiler.
Author

next release of mP

#1 Post by janni » 28 May 2007 12:49

Hi Zoran,

I've noticed that you've committed yourself (or ME, but it's you who will have to respond to our irksome questions :D ):
Updated versions of the compilers are being prepared, we will release them next month.
So, being the first one to prod you, will there be beta versions first?

zristic
mikroElektronika team

Re: next release of mP

#2 Post by zristic » 28 May 2007 14:27

janni wrote:So, being the first one to prod you, will there be beta versions first?
I do not have exact dates, but we will for sure do it next month.

By the way, could anyone explain to me why are people so interested in the new release? Is it that the current one is that bad? I would like to know... :roll:
Also, what do you expect to see in the new release. :?:

Kalain

#3 Post by Kalain » 28 May 2007 16:17

Hi,
zristic wrote: By the way, could anyone explain to me why are people so interested in the new release? Is it that the current one is that bad? I would like to know... :roll:
I do not use mP but most of the time for a software, people would like to have the latest release because the latest release is supposed at least to fix all known problems.

To get and to have a working and stable version is a big and good point. :wink:
Last edited by Kalain on 28 May 2007 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Alain

janni

#4 Post by janni » 28 May 2007 16:43

Can't say it in the name of all users, but, as one of those that use mP for professional purposes, I'm forced to state that the compiler still has plenty of weak spots.

I don't intend to discuss here the errors and deficiences of the libraries - we may correct them or make them anew by ourselves, when necessary. But the IDE still should be improved and the errors the compiler makes force me to analyse the assembly thus destroing most of the advantages writing in high-level language should give.

So, in short, what I expect most is increased reliability which means fixes to all errors discovered so far.

Other expected improvements would be:

- visibility of compiler directives similar to variables visibility,
- implementation of interrupts priority,
- directive allowing to define port pins,
- possibility to 'org' constants in Flash,
- proper scope of constants and variables (differentiation between the interface and implementation sections),
- pointers to routines (that's finally coming, I hope),

IDE improvements:

- EEPROM editor with more then 256 bytes,
- size increase of these unfortunately small arrows allowing to move to units' tabs not visible at the moment,
- better simulator (ICD is not a panaceum, and cannot be used without board).

That should be enough for now :D .

janni

#5 Post by janni » 29 May 2007 12:48

Is this
Tests show that the new compilers are 10-20x faster than current existing ones...
(command line compilers) to be a part of the new release?

anton

#6 Post by anton » 29 May 2007 16:55

Hi zoran,
By the way, could anyone explain to me why are people so interested in the new release? Is it that the current one is that bad? I would like to know... Rolling Eyes
Also, what do you expect to see in the new release.
Current compiler is actually very stable and reliable. Personally I think this is the best one since v2.16 :wink:. I've just completed a project where we had 4 video inputs that was captured at +- 4 frames / second and saved to SD. The images could also be read form a USB port.

We used a BigPIC 18F8722 and a USB PIC18F4550 and the current compiler (6.02) and it worked great.

I would also like to know whether the new version will be a command line compiler with separate IDE or is that in the future?

Another thing (yes, I know you have been asked many times before :oops: ) how in the linux version coming along? Will we see a beta version of this one soon? I really can wait

Anton :P
Another proud user of LV 24-33A Development System and mikroPascal PRO for dsPIC :)
PortA not working? Add CMCON := 7; PortD not working? Add ADCON1 := 6;
To paste code on the forum, please use the [b] Code [/b] button !! ;)

piort

#7 Post by piort » 30 May 2007 04:09

zristic wrote: Is it that the current one is that bad? I would like to know... :roll:
Also, what do you expect to see in the new release. :?:
Zoran, you are couragous ;-)

1- command line
2- build lib only ( to chk syntax error before include them in project)
3- bootloader with command line ( to be different of the competition)
4- know bug fix
5- MP equivalent of symbol in MB
6- pin configurator like in Mplabs
7- graphical simulator like the Oshon pic simulator ( better one will be nicer lolol)
8- bit booleen insteed of byte one
9- open source lib
10- vista ( or XP ) 64 bit driver... and linux version will be great too
666- code to PCB utiity... you know...you write your code, test it in the simulator and one click print the PCB of my project :shock: oups.... i think i push it a bit too far ))))))

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by zristic » 31 May 2007 12:26

Thanks for the guidelines.
Judging by what you expect and what we are doing, I can only say that we will meet very soon.

janni

#9 Post by janni » 31 May 2007 12:55

:D :D :D

Return to “mikroPascal Beta testing”