Watch window

Discuss about beta versions of mikroC compiler.
Author

Watch window

#1 Post by bruno » 24 Apr 2006 17:00

Hi group,

first, many thanks to mE team to allow us this participation to the new compiler !

I'm starting with the watch window :

1/ the new search field is a good idea :idea:
what do you think about allowing regular expressions in it ?

2/ the "properties" mini-icon could lead to confusion, try this :

highlight a variable in the "select variable" list,

click on "Properties" : the properties of the current selected variable of the table is displayed, instead of the properties of the highlighted variable of the "select variable" list, as we could expect.

the solution would be to print the examined variable name in the "Edit Value" window ?

3/ when no variable is selected in the table, the "Properties" & "Remove" mini-icons could be disabled, otherwise it gives the feeling that the buttons does not work, try this :

double-click on a variable name in the table, then close the "Edit value" pop-up, the variable is not selected anymore but "Remove" & "Properties" are still enabled.

in this case, clicking on Remove may also lead to a "acces violation" alert console.

4/ BTW, would this be possible in the watch window table :
- to add a new column with a "display type" list selector ?
- to turn the "value" column into an editable field when double-clicking on it ? OK it's done, I did not catch the trick :oops:
- to add a new column "Length" (the same as 'sizeof()')

this would spare numerous open & close of the "Edit value" window

Thanks,

Bruno

rajkovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: Watch window

#2 Post by rajkovic » 26 Apr 2006 09:55

bruno wrote:Hi group,

first, many thanks to mE team to allow us this participation to the new compiler !

I'm starting with the watch window :

1/ the new search field is a good idea :idea:
what do you think about allowing regular expressions in it ?

2/ the "properties" mini-icon could lead to confusion, try this :

highlight a variable in the "select variable" list,

click on "Properties" : the properties of the current selected variable of the table is displayed, instead of the properties of the highlighted variable of the "select variable" list, as we could expect.

the solution would be to print the examined variable name in the "Edit Value" window ?

3/ when no variable is selected in the table, the "Properties" & "Remove" mini-icons could be disabled, otherwise it gives the feeling that the buttons does not work, try this :

double-click on a variable name in the table, then close the "Edit value" pop-up, the variable is not selected anymore but "Remove" & "Properties" are still enabled.

in this case, clicking on Remove may also lead to a "acces violation" alert console.

4/ BTW, would this be possible in the watch window table :
- to add a new column with a "display type" list selector ?
- to turn the "value" column into an editable field when double-clicking on it ? OK it's done, I did not catch the trick :oops:
- to add a new column "Length" (the same as 'sizeof()')

this would spare numerous open & close of the "Edit value" window

Thanks,

Bruno
Thanks for ideas how to improve this window. We would like to hear others
as well.

Return to “mikroC Beta testing”