MB 6.0 Identifier 'strcat2' was not declared

Discuss about beta versions of mikroBasic
compiler.
Author

#16 Post by janni » 10 Oct 2007 11:10

zristic wrote:What I wrote above is the only way to make users like your library, I speak that from my experience. No matter how good it is, how optimized it is, if you do not serve it on a plate then you lost the game in the 90th minute.
OK When we'll start thinking about making the libraries popular, we'll certainly take care of that.
Maybe a compromise? You add a 'patch' path and we prepare an installer? mE would then avoid problems with users that deleted wrong lib files
No, out of question. Try to separate your work from ours, it is in our common interest.
I didn't ask for support in popularizing our libs. Just tried to recall the idea of common path for user modules. The way the search paths work at the moment practically inhibits working with larger projects. It is one of the most annoing things about the compiler. Additional comon path would be the easiest way to at least partly solve the problem.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#17 Post by zristic » 10 Oct 2007 11:16

janni wrote:OK When we'll start thinking about making the libraries popular, we'll certainly take care of that.
Why did you write it then?
The way the search paths work at the moment practically inhibits working with larger projects. It is one of the most annoing things about the compiler. Additional comon path would be the easiest way to at least partly solve the problem.
I read your complaint about this earlier, but I was never clear what was really bothering you in this context. Can you please write a simple explanation in a couple of words about what is wrong with the search path?
Thanks.

janni

#18 Post by janni » 10 Oct 2007 16:51

zristic wrote: Why did you write it then?
To have good library, of course. I've corrected or written anew almost all libraries I use. I have to be sure the code behaves in a controllable way. As it's also in my interest that mP is developed further, I share some of my work with other users to have them stay with mP.
I read your complaint about this earlier, but I was never clear what was really bothering you in this context. Can you please write a simple explanation in a couple of words about what is wrong with the search path?
It was clear to you a year and a half ago: http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... light=path.

If you think now that mE compilers have to be the only ones with fixed search path sequence, then at least introduce a priority path for patches, fixes and replacements of official libs, where also user modules common to many projects could be placed. Don't force users to mix their modules with official libs.

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#19 Post by zristic » 11 Oct 2007 08:55

janni wrote:Don't force users to mix their modules with official libs
We are not, you can exclude an official lib anytime you want. Maybe we are lacking a detailed documentation about it, but to most of users it is clear how to include/exclude a library. I still do not understand why you think that the official libs are "must to have".

janni

#20 Post by janni » 11 Oct 2007 13:51

zristic wrote:I still do not understand why you think that the official libs are "must to have".
Yeah, my communicating skills aparently degrade by the minute...

First, mP lacks routine overwrite capability. Before the libs were consolidated one could indeed remove a sub-lib and use one's own. Now one has to remove/replace a whole library. Naturally, one does not have to use the libraries at all - one also does not have to use mP...

Fixed search paths sequence means that if one wants to have one's own library common to many projects, it has to be placed in common directory with all official libs - otherwise it can only be checked after the users' project directory. Overwriting of users modules is thus also not possible. And that is "forcing users to mix their modules with official libs". It has nothing in common with actually using the official libraries.

Another unpleasent thing was the tendency of any additional search paths to vanish form time to time - I hope it's fixed now, as I haven't had such case yet with version 7.

And last thing - you do realize that the libraries are not perfect - there is continuing series of requests for fixes and new versions. Why to force the users to overwrite old libs with new ones (and to make copies of old ones for safety) instead of introducing a 'patch' directory where new versions could be safely placed?

xor

#21 Post by xor » 14 Oct 2007 21:10

janni wrote:Yeah, my communicating skills aparently degrade by the minute...
Usually what happens when you're chatting with Zoran and drinking srdjan's beer.... :D
[color=darkred][b]xor[/b][/color]
[url=http://circuit-ed.com]CircuitED -[/url]

janni

#22 Post by janni » 15 Oct 2007 01:41

And I always belived that there is nothing better than a couple of beers to increase the ease of communication... :D

zristic
mikroElektronika team

#23 Post by zristic » 15 Oct 2007 12:52

Well, I realized I better stop discussing search paths with janni, otherwise we would go home late at night all hugged, with beer trails in behind.

janni

#24 Post by janni » 15 Oct 2007 15:50

Me and my beer-pack are thus left alone with our "patch' path dream...

P.S.
Another unpleasent thing was the tendency of any additional search paths to vanish form time to time - I hope it's fixed now, as I haven't had such case yet with version 7.
Yep. It's still there :cry: .

Return to “mikroBasic Beta testing”