Migration from mikroC for PIC

Fully featured PIC compilers available on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Author

Migration from mikroC for PIC

#1 Post by kvlada » 16 Apr 2020 18:39

Hi, there are several questions that I couldn't find an answer, so I hope someone from ME could offer clarification.

1. CODEGRIP debugger hardware for PIC isn't available yet. When it will be available?

2. Would there be 3 different CODEGRIP versions (PIC, dsPIC, PIC32), or just 1 covering all PIC architectures?

3. Can we **finally** define config fuses and oscillator frequency in code? This is my biggest hurdle with MikroC compilers. Change the chip, have to MANUALLY set everything all over again. Compiling firmware for 3 or 4 different chips at once is a nightmare!

5. Will mikroProg programmer/debugger firmware continue to be updated with new chips?

6. Does Necto PIC compiler supports extended instruction set in some PIC18 families (PIC18 K22, Q42, etc.)?

EDIT:

7. Do we lose rights to our MikroC for PIC license when upgrading to Necto Studio?

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: Migration from mikroC for PIC

#2 Post by filip » 21 Apr 2020 07:34

Hi,
1. CODEGRIP debugger hardware for PIC isn't available yet. When it will be available?
It should be released soon, but I don't have the exact date at the moment.
2. Would there be 3 different CODEGRIP versions (PIC, dsPIC, PIC32), or just 1 covering all PIC architectures?
CODEGRIP will support the PIC, dsPIC and PIC32 families from the start.
3. Can we **finally** define config fuses and oscillator frequency in code? This is my biggest hurdle with MikroC compilers. Change the chip, have to MANUALLY set everything all over again. Compiling firmware for 3 or 4 different chips at once is a nightmare!
At the moment this is not supported, but you can instead use the Profile tool from the NECTO Studio which lets you to configure a profile for desired MCUs (set config bits, among other options) and then change the profile from the drop down menu as you switch from one MCU to another.
5. Will mikroProg programmer/debugger firmware continue to be updated with new chips?
For the time being the support stays as is, we will make a public statement if anything changes.
6. Does Necto PIC compiler supports extended instruction set in some PIC18 families (PIC18 K22, Q42, etc.)?
Currently it does not support the extended instruction set, but we are considering this feature.
7. Do we lose rights to our MikroC for PIC license when upgrading to Necto Studio?
No, you will not use your license key, you are entitled to use it freely.

Regards,
Filip.

kvlada

#3 Post by kvlada » 26 Apr 2020 22:37

Thank you for clarifications!

jumper

#4 Post by jumper » 30 Apr 2020 04:27

For the time being the support stays as is, we will make a public statement if anything changes.
In an other thread I read that the mikroProg does not support the K42 serie for in circuit debugging? Will that be added to mikroProg or are we forced to upgrade to Necto and PIC AI using a CODEGRIP debugger that is not available on the market?

Return to “PIC AI compilers”