MPLABX IDE and CODEGRIP plugin under Linux

Author

MPLABX IDE and CODEGRIP plugin under Linux

#1 Post by arhichief » 09 Feb 2022 00:07

Hello everyone.

I'm using Fusion for PIC v8 with PIC32MX795F512L MCU card. And first of all, I really want to say thank you for this excellent development board.

To be clear, I'm able to use CODEGRIP Suite and detect, program, erase PIC MCU. Nekto Studio with MikroC AI for PIC32 works well too and I'm able to program and debug MCU directly from IDE. And all of these works well under Linux.

Now I would like to work with it using Microchip MPLAB X IDE and Microchip XC32 toolchain under Linux. I found that it's possible using CODEGRIP plugin for MPLAB® X IDE. Documentation says I just need to install this plugin to IDE and configure project to use CODEGRIP programmer as a hardware tool. Looks easy, but...

I've installed plugin and there were no errors. Installation process asked me to restart IDE and I did it. But when I tried to execute instructions from Selection of the CODEGRIP device I wasn't able to see anything in the list except of No Tool and Simulator. Near the Connected Hardware Tool dropdown list I can see a check box called Show All. If I enable it, I can see CODEGRIP in the list of hardware tools. But when I'm trying to configure it by following instructions from Configuration of the CODEGRIP plugin I'm not able to see anything related to communication interface or program options (this options are missing in the list) and I'm unable to save it. It seems to me that for some reason, plugin is not able to find CODEGRIP. And it's strange, because I can see it in list of usb devices and CODEGRIP Suite has no problem to find it, even if I remove it from list available of devices.

I don't know details about how plugin works, and I wasn't able to find any logs produced by MPLAB X IDE that will show me some error related to this plugin.
I, was thinking plugin calls CODEGRIP Suite using some kind of socket or directly and passing params to it. I've tried to add CODEGRIP Suite to PATH environment variables, but with no luck.

Any clue how can I solve my problem?

CODEGRIP Suite shows me next version information
  • CODEGRIP Suite version is 1.5.1
  • CODEGRIP Firmware version is 1.5.0
  • CODEGRIP Hardware version is 1.01
P.S. I've found in release notes that in v 1.0.1 you've added Synchronized with CODEGRIP Suite v1.4.0. But my version is 1.5.1 and maybe this is the reason.

arhichief

Re: MPLABX IDE and CODEGRIP plugin under Linux

#2 Post by arhichief » 11 Feb 2022 23:13

UPD: Works well on on Windows machine with latest CODEGRIP Suite, but still no success to use plugin on Windows. I've tried to decompress and disassembly plugin to see how it works. I was hoping the problem will be easy to solve and maybe I've missed some symlinks or something else. But after fast look through code I found that it use some libraries specific CODEGRIP that should probably go with CODEGRIP Suite (otherwise, why it's written down in the manual about installation of CODEGRIP Suite?) and dynamically load it. But Linux edition of CODEGRIP Suite goes as statically linked binary and do not have any kind of library. This probably means that plugin can't work under Linux or what?

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: MPLABX IDE and CODEGRIP plugin under Linux

#3 Post by filip » 18 Feb 2022 12:12

Hi,

The CODEGRIP plugin for MPLAB X under Linux is yet to be updated in order to make it work, I believe we have already the same conversation on the HelpDesk.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “CODEGRIP programmer and debugger”