Most desired upgrades and enhancements for MikroE compilers

Vote for top 3 features you would like to see in mikroC, mikroBasic or mikroPascal

Far function pointer for dsPIC, PIC24, PIC18 (reaching far function without handler table)
1%
Far pointer for P16 and P16ENH, automatic handling of IRP bit when dereferenced
2%
Weak attribute declaration
1%
mikro compilers on Apple platform (OS X)
4%
mikro compilers on Linux platform
6%
RAM memory organization with command like orgall
2%
orgall for files
0%
Option for write constants into EEPROM while compiling
4%
Relocation of the vector table
1%
Ethernet PING routine
3%
Enable ENC24j600 clock out
No votes
DMA library (all architectures)
10%
Improvement of the "sprintf" routine (%c in sprintf() routine)
2%
Option for auto hide "Messages / Quick converter "panel
1%
Project manager improvement (option for customization of folders)
1%
Bootloader command line
2%
UDP terminal source port
1%
Make MCU name editable (Edit project improvement)
1%
HID Terminal constant data sending
1%
Library for HX8357 display controller
1%
SQI library in PIC32 compiler
1%
Quadrature Encoder Interface (QEI) on PIC18
3%
I2S library for dsPIC and PIC32 compilers
2%
Support for LPUART on STL0x chips
0%
I2S library for ARM
2%
Stop Build option of one project
0%
Option for search and sort project based on the MCU
0%
String comparison by the pattern
1%
TFT Get Pixel routine in the TFT library
2%
OLED library
5%
CRC (cyclic redundancy check) function
3%
DOT operator for addressing bits in variables (type longlong)
2%
Ability to set fuses via compiler directives rather than Edit Project
1%
FSMC support for STM32 library
1%
COFF file compatible with Proteus and Atmel AVR Studio for AVR's
1%
Ability to declare and initialize variables at the same time (mikroBasic & mikroPascal)
2%
Support for High Endurance Flash Memory (HEF)
0%
Improved/corrected documentation
5%
Universal GPIO library for setting pin/port states and receiving pin/port logic states.
2%
IR communication library for MCUs with IR receiving units.
0%
RTC library for MCUs with built-in RTC modules.
4%
Display controller libraries for MCUs with built-in display controllers like STM32F429.
2%
CRC, AES and DES libraries for MCUs with built-in capabilities.
2%
USB library for ATXMega and AVR MCUs that have built-in USB hardware.
1%
Support for RTOS in mikroC PRO for AVR
1%
Graphical clock configuration tool for MCU that have multiple clock sources.
2%
Support for TFT and OLED controllers ST7735, ILI9325, SSD1306.
5%
Support for STC microcontrollers in 8051 compilers.
0%
Compiler puts output files in the separate folder.
1%
Bootloader supports HEX file from MPLAB and Keil
0%
Current location in the calling tree while debugging.
0%
Directive for aligning variables in RAM in all compilers.
0%
Package manager integral part of the IDE
1%
Support for inline functions.
1%
Enhancement of FAT32 to support multi device and the exFAT.
1%
More GUI objects in Visual TFT (lists, drop down lists,menus,grids, graphs).
4%
Support for Nordic Semiconductor nRF51 and nRF52 Series SoC
1%

Total votes: 655

Author

Re: Most desired upgrades and enhancements for MikroE compil

#136 Post by steve42lawson » 19 May 2019 19:51

Toley wrote:Hi mikroe Team, something very important is missing in that list. A tool to generate defs files for new MCU. This has been requested many times. Then we don't have to wait 2 years or more to use new devices...
I third that! Would be VERY useful!!
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

Soumitrab

#137 Post by Soumitrab » 24 Jun 2019 18:57

Hi ME Team

I would like to see the following upgrades in the compiler :
a) Support for pre-initialized variables passed as method parameters. Eg: function DoThis(x: Byte = 0);
b) All declared numerical variables should be automatically set to 0 if not explicitly initialized.
c) Support for set type enumeration
d) Library method overloading
e) Class based object structure

Editor:
a) Option for placing and going to bookmarks via right-click menu/gutter bookmark click
b) please please put the animation of panels as an option. If unchecked , do not perform silly translation animation
c) Panels to be preferably drag-drop dockable
d) Does not accept and open dropped *.pas files even though drop target setup is present

Thanks

steve42lawson

#138 Post by steve42lawson » 09 Sep 2019 19:55

• Ability to set fuses via compiler directives rather than Edit Project
  • Support for inline functions.
  • Improved/corrected documentation
And one not on the list -- one that is a bane for me every time I "create a new Project version":

When a Project is "Save As"ed to a new name [such as to create a new version of the Project], the Search Path(s) are not preserved! So, I have to go in and reconnect these path(s), which is a pain! This, and the fact that one CAN'T set fuse directives, in the code, are the two biggest problems I have with your product. It makes it difficult to preserve the integrity of a project that might need to be moved/copied to a different station [e.g. collaboration], or even, ported to a different platform! The fact that the fuse directives are missing from the code, means the code integrity is vulnerable. One means for improving said integrity, might be including the intended fuse settings in a comment, but what a royal pain that is!

The lack of the ability to inline functions is a close second. The way I work around that, currently, is to define a macro version [below the function definition] of a function that needs to be inlined. Another total pain!!

The function definition form, preserves the full intent of the function's structure, which can be made arcane by a conversion to MACRO form -- plus, I think better in the function definition format, and find a function easier to debug, and edit, than is a MACRO. Thus the reason for having, and preserving, a function definition form [that is echoed by the MACRO form]. Also, a MACRO lacks features of the function, like type checking.
Humility is the lack of the desire to impress, not the lack of being impressive.

kvlada

#139 Post by kvlada » 09 Nov 2019 20:53

Can we please, PLEASE for once, get fuse configs as compiler directives?

I'm simply tired of having to setup all the fuses manually each time I have to compile software for a different chip. And of course you make a mistake, after 348th manual setting of 999 combo-boxes (plus frequency), you make a mistake and then spend 30 minutes debugging the code, while the problem is in one single wrongly set fuse.

Please ME, is this too much to ask?

Maybe the solution is for compiler division to switch to "yearly upgrade" sales model?

I know many people wouldn't mind paying 50 - 100€ every year to be happy with their compiler.

adamto99

#140 Post by adamto99 » 14 Nov 2019 14:36

steve42lawson wrote:
  • Ability to set fuses via compiler directives rather than Edit Project
  • Support for inline functions.
  • Improved/corrected documentation
audacity temp mail origin
And one not on the list -- one that is a bane for me every time I "create a new Project version":

When a Project is "Save As"ed to a new name [such as to create a new version of the Project], the Search Path(s) are not preserved! So, I have to go in and reconnect these path(s), which is a pain! This, and the fact that one CAN'T set fuse directives, in the code, are the two biggest problems I have with your product. It makes it difficult to preserve the integrity of a project that might need to be moved/copied to a different station [e.g. collaboration], or even, ported to a different platform! The fact that the fuse directives are missing from the code, means the code integrity is vulnerable. One means for improving said integrity, might be including the intended fuse settings in a comment, but what a royal pain that is!

The lack of the ability to inline functions is a close second. The way I work around that, currently, is to define a macro version [below the function definition] of a function that needs to be inlined. Another total pain!!

The function definition form, preserves the full intent of the function's structure, which can be made arcane by a conversion to MACRO form -- plus, I think better in the function definition format, and find a function easier to debug, and edit, than is a MACRO. Thus the reason for having, and preserving, a function definition form [that is echoed by the MACRO form]. Also, a MACRO lacks features of the function, like type checking.
Fixing the code editor is absent in IDE improvement proposals :( .

Return to “PIC32 Compilers General”