PIC32MZ1024ECM064 - half of pins were not responsive to programming

mikroC, mikroBasic and mikroPascal PRO for Microchip’s 32-bit PIC MCUs
Author

PIC32MZ1024ECM064 - half of pins were not responsive to programming

#1 Post by ducbkfet » 03 Jan 2022 19:47

Hello everyone,

First of all, happy new year! Wish you all good luck and happiness!

Here is my story. I will try to make it as clear as possible, so please bear with me. I'm trying to make my self-made boards work with PIC32MZ1024ECM064, and the first step was simple: to make PORTB10 and 11, and PORTC13 high and low every second (like LED blinking example without any LEDs). However, the outputs were both weird (PORTB10 and PORTC13: 0.7-0.8V, PORTB11: 3.3V) and unchanged instead of "blinking".

So I changed the code to only setting those mentioned pins either low or high individually, but the outputs were still the same as before regardless of uploaded programs. It seemed the program didn't work! I used Mikroprog to upload the code onto the PIC via PGD2 and PGC2, and the uploading happened without any errors. I verified the code on-chip using Mikroprog Suite and no differences were found, so the program was indeed uploaded properly and successfully.

I then decided to blink ALL ports (B, C, D and E in a 64-pin PIC) every second, and figured out that the ports in the 1st and 4th quarters did blink, while those in the 2nd and 3rd quarters didn't! (see image). I have 4 boards serving 4 different functions with 4 different layouts, and this happened in all 4. It was very confusing...
PIC 4 quarters.png
PIC 4 quarters.png (59.36 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
I then checked whether it was due to the ICs the PIC communicated with using the pins in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. I manually cut some of the lines in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to the IC and run the boards again. No luck. The pins in the 2nd/3rd quarter were still unresponsive. I soldered the ICs' pins to the pins in the 1st/4th quarter and they worked! So, the problems were not from the IC side...

Therefore, I have to conclude that the PIC32MZ1024ECM064 series are just designed badly and broken in that way... Could you guys please advise me on what else I can do to debug the boards? If anyone ever worked with PIC32MZ1024ECM064, could you please confirm whether you find any similar issues and what you have done to fix them? I have spent more than $2000 in manufacturing those boards, so I would love to at least have ideas on what is going on to avoid in the next design.

I attach here the schematic of a board.

Thank you and keen to hear any opinions and recommendations!
respiration impedance - voltage.pdf
(992.69 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

darko.ilijevski

Re: PIC32MZ1024ECM064 - half of pins were not responsive to programming

#2 Post by darko.ilijevski » 08 Jan 2022 13:49

Hello and happy holidays to you! (with a bit of delay, sorry for that)

If cutting MCU traces connected to all the ICs didn't help, then it all comes down to two things, at least in my opinion:

1 - Code
2 - MCU damage

I highly doubt that Microchip would release MCU with such a design error where half of the pins do not respond, so let's start with the code snippet: can you please attach a minimal LED blink project you were using so that we can see what is going on?

Best regards,
Darko
BR,
Darko

Return to “PIC32 PRO Compilers”