<UNSOLVED>pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8.1

mikroC, mikroBasic and mikroPascal PRO for Microchip’s 8-bit PIC MCUs.
Author

<UNSOLVED>pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8.1

#1 Post by leo73 » 30 Sep 2020 17:02

Hello to every one,
It's a lot of time i'm using pickit3 stand alone program,today I reprogrammed my pic, always with yesterday's firmware and now the pickit3 program after a while that starts writing on the chip, tells me "memory address error". I can't even uninstall the setup program to reinstall it.
I wrote the pickit3 software is not compatible with windows 8.1.
In addidtion i wrote there's another version about it , it is pickit3 Plus (windows 10,8.1,7,xp compatible).
1) Could i solve my error using it?
2) How i could force to remove my old version?
3) what is right link to down load it?

IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
1) if i read only the chip , it read fine
2) If i remove (verify on write option) the programmer write pic, but not show me the memory and eeprom data if i read the mcu

I think the pickit3 program is working badly !!!

Thank you in advance.
Leo. :cry:
Attachments
ErrorePickit3.jpg
ErrorePickit3.jpg (163.8 KiB) Viewed 2753 times
Last edited by leo73 on 04 Oct 2020 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

leo73

Re: pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8

#2 Post by leo73 » 30 Sep 2020 18:30

I have partially solved my malfunctions.
1) the programmer did not program the mcu because the power supply was not connected near the pins of the mcu but was on the power lines of the breadboard.
2) the fact remains that I can not read the eeprom and the rom where the program resides.
Will it be a bread board problem since the only thing I changed from yesterday to today was it? :shock:
in my opinion the pickit3 program is working badly !!!
mysteries of the universe !!!!
Attachments
eepromreadproblem.jpg
eepromreadproblem.jpg (153.46 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

hexreader

Re: pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8

#3 Post by hexreader » 01 Oct 2020 03:42

You have code protect and data protect turned on.

That is why reading the PIC results in all zeros.

Turn off all protection
Start every day with a smile...... (get it over with) :)

leo73

#4 Post by leo73 » 04 Oct 2020 11:07

Hello to every one,
1) I tried to unistall mcu from new braedboard and reinstall it in old breadboard, same problem CODE PROTECT during read EEprom and ROM so so I can rule out a false contact problem !!!
2) I verify, using multimeter, if the mcu was fed correctly and it was powered fine !!
3) So i tryed to uninstall pic3 programmer software, (was hard uninstall this software because my computer refused to do this and reinstall it too), so i'm working with one pickit3 program portable version (i created it and attached here below); same problem "CODE PROTECT".

Are there any particular settings to make in the pickit3 programmer? otherwise I could think of a hardware failure on the pickit3 programming board (bad board programmer) or MCU bad or problems on my operating system in my pc.
It's strange because the programmer programs and feeds (powered) the mcu correctly +5v(vdd)!
do you have any other ideas on how to proceed and solve this stupid problem?
PICkit3.15.0 Portable:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h89oLS ... p=drivesdk
(Link changed)

LAST UPDATE: 2020-10-04 AT 15:50
1) i installed pickit3 in other windows 8.1 computer and reading Rom and EEprom same problem "Code protect" and it not read nothink !!! :lol:
2) I read this link: https://www.settorezero.com/wordpress/r ... -pickit-3/
3) So pickit3 have power problem (pickit2 not have this problem) i connected between Vdd and Vss two capacitors 100nf(as noise filter) and 1000uf(for extra power).
4) in next days i'll try to change software USB setting on windows 8.1 register and restart pc like explained in link i posted !!
Attachments
sbattecontromuro.gif
sbattecontromuro.gif (886 Bytes) Viewed 2683 times

leo73

Re: <UNSOLVED Y/N>pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8.1

#5 Post by leo73 » 04 Oct 2020 16:28

hello to every one,

I solved the mystery!
Not constants I knew that this Mcu worked with two levels of tension the problem took me far from solving the same !! :mrgreen:

To read the 18F26k22 mcu the pick power voltage must be set at 3.3v ! (as auto set), so one bluetooth periferial work at 5.0V , after i'll try to powered mcu using one 3.3V voltage regulator and powered general circuit by PICkit3 at 5.0V. But code protection is not canceled !!
Or, can i set in project the mcu voltage work?
I may be tomorrow i'll solve all malfunctions.

UPDATE 2020-10-04 19:30
I continued to test reading powered at 3.3v mcu, unfortunatelly problem not changed Impossible read EEprom
I ran out of ideas !!!!
Some one are testing pickit4 ? There's stand alone program for it ?
Some one have other solution?
:roll:
Attachments
PicProgrammerRead-at3.3V.jpg
PicProgrammerRead-at3.3V.jpg (158.27 KiB) Viewed 2650 times

leo73

Re: <UNSOLVED>pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8.1

#6 Post by leo73 » 05 Oct 2020 09:37

Hello hexreader sorry if I did not answer you immediately: in the project the code protection is disabled, in the programmer software pic if I remove it as soon as I read the eeprom it reactivates protection automatically.

Hello mikahawkins, as mentioned above, I checked with the voltmeter if a mcu is powered and actually it was powered at about 5v, I also installed two capacities between vdd and vss of the mcu, respectively 100nf and 1000uf. The problem remains !

hexreader

Re: <UNSOLVED>pickit3 software program after 3 year i used it no longer works on my windows 8.1

#7 Post by hexreader » 05 Oct 2020 13:08

I cannot reproduce the same problem with my PICkit3 using Windows 10. Mine just works (though I rarely use it - and almost never with PICkit3 stand-alone utility)

I would recommend posting on Microchip Forum - there are far more PICkit users there with far more experience.

I would suggest providing a link to this thread

mikahawkins

#8 Post by mikahawkins » 09 Oct 2020 21:48

Hey,
I am attaching an attachment can you please have a look and tell me what the problem is. I personally think the problem is with realtek hd audio manager missing or....I don't help me.
Attachments
prob.jpg
prob.jpg (124.39 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
Mika HAwkins

hexreader

#9 Post by hexreader » 09 Oct 2020 22:05

No idea what the problem may be.

I do find that I get errors on closing, but running as administrator seems to fix that.

I am using Windows 10. I have no idea whether Windows 8 has administrator mode - or anything about Windows 8.

Microchip forum users are likely to know far more than I do.

I really do think that this is the wrong forum for anything more than just the simplest picKIT issues. Go to the manufacturer's forum.

Soumitrab

#10 Post by Soumitrab » 20 Nov 2020 19:57

Hi
I have used the original Pickit3 program on Windows 10 without issues but if you do face any, you could the MPLAB IPE.

Return to “PIC PRO Compilers”