Ambient noise detection - never finishes

The SpeakUp software is a for configuring SpeakUp, the speech recognition click board.
Author

Ambient noise detection - never finishes

#1 Post by Fox3 » 16 Jul 2017 01:23

Hi Folks,

Got about everything worked out for my friend with MS and even got her commands recorded in.

After doing some other testing, brought the unit back to her and went to upload her project. It had been checking ambient noise for over half an hour. We sat there quietly until I killed it thinking something was wrong(???).

Tried killing the ambient noise detect (x) in the hope it would go ahead and upload the project, apparently not as my development project is still in the device.

Again on the second pass, it is till detecting ambient noise about 20 minutes later this time.

I'd think 20-30 minutes would be enough to quantify any given amount of background noises?

There is an air conditioner running in that room, but it is pretty quiet. I am able to get my commands in though (my project was on the Speakup when I brought it in) with all the various noises.

There will always be some ambient in there, AC or possibly TV or Amazon Dot or just people talking.

I thought about trying manual noise, but the manual is quite uninformative as to what that does / how to adjust it. Just leave it on auto...

Thoughts, suggestions appreciated! Will update this if it ever finishes detecting :-).

Tnx, Fox3

Edit:

After about an hour of the ambient noise check still running, I canceled it and moved the test rig back into the "lab" and ran it again just to see if perhaps I needed to reset the device, nope, took maybe 20 seconds to complete and upload the project.

What is going on here ?!?! AC noise is low level and with the exception of occasionally kicking on the compressor (reasonably cool here) it is consistent level and frequency wise. Help :-)?

Thanks!

Fox3

Re: Ambient noise detection - never finishes

#2 Post by Fox3 » 17 Jul 2017 23:42

Any suggestions?

I can't believe that this requires an almost totally silent environment (like the "lab" is)?

Yes, there is background noise in there, but it is at a level where quiet conversation is not a problem.

Clarification on how he manual noise adjustment works and how to adjust it would be greatly appreciated.

If I can get this worked out, it would be a wonderful thing for quadriplegics!

I'll swap in another speakup and see if perhaps that one is somehow flakey?

Thanks!

lana.arsic
mikroElektronika team

#3 Post by lana.arsic » 18 Jul 2017 15:43

Hi,

I apologize for this inconvenience.

But, unfortunately, that is how it is working, because if there is
quiet conversation (or TV or some another noise) SpeakUp will try to detect it as background
noise and it would not be able to detect commands.
Fox3 wrote: I'll swap in another speakup and see if perhaps that one is somehow flakey?
SpeakUp 2 click board has the same sensibility as SpeakUp click.

Kind regards,
Lana

Fox3

#4 Post by Fox3 » 20 Jul 2017 10:17

Thanks Lana,

Interesting though, taking it back into a dead silent room and letting it calibrate and then taking it back into the "noisy" room, it seems to work...

More research required, I really hope I don't have to scrap this project over a little background noise...

Return to “SpeakUp Software”