SpeakUp Click [answers required]

The SpeakUp software is a for configuring SpeakUp, the speech recognition click board.
Author

SpeakUp Click [answers required]

#1 Post by ste » 26 May 2016 21:19

I am now on my fourth SpeakUp Click module
There are many questions to be answered but the Mikroe team don't seem to able to do this ..

Last week I posted this message ...
I am now on my third SpeakUp Click module.
It worked for just one day but now does not activate the Relay module [see Voice activated lights]
Does anyone know WHY this SpeakUp Click device is so unreliable .. ?
This time it seemed to be the microphone not activating the Relay Click.
Normally when you speak into the microphone the RED light illuminates briefly [this is not happening]
I don't understand why the instructions state that this module MUST be supplied with 3.3v Dc and yet you need 5v DC to program it.
The Technical Support team are not answering my direct questions.
I have asked Uros how does the "DATA rate" affect the reliability of the unit [no response]

Can anyone from Mikroe answer these simple questions ...
1. WHY this SpeakUp Click device is so unreliable
2. How does the "DATA rate" affect the reliability of the unit
3. What does the "DATA rate" actually do to change the results
4. A recently [disgruntled] SpeakUp Click user was asking about the effects of 'word separation'

There is 'potential' for this device but the Mikroe support team seem to be struggling to answer the questions ..

uros.cvetinovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: SpeakUp Click [answers required]

#2 Post by uros.cvetinovic » 01 Jun 2016 10:12

Dear Stephen,

I believe I have answered you on your data rate question in a ticket on 23rd May.

Data rate is just speed used for sending data to the MCU or PC.
I another words, it is the baud rate used in UART communication between the SpeakUp click and the host MCU or PC.

The SpeakUp Firmware uses Dynamic Time Warping (DTW) algorithm - word-based, isolated word,
speaker dependent and template matching algorithm.

In the isolated word recognition, words that are uttered with short pauses are recognized.

Best regards,

Uros

ste

SpeakUp Click [questions not being answered]

#3 Post by ste » 02 Jun 2016 12:47

Uros
There is no doubt that the SpeakUp Click is unreliable.
There are some times when it works 'first time' .. other times it takes 4 or 5 attempts to make it work.
Can you please answer these 4 questions ..
1. If the 'baud rate' setting does not affect the SpeakUp Click device why does Mikroe include it on the Settings page.
2. What is the point of letting the consumer [me] adjust something that doesn't need to be adjusted.
3. There is no way of knowing how many commands are stored on the SpeakUp Click do I need to 'save' each project after pressing the upload button ?
4. I am trying to upload the voice command "TWO SEVEN" can I do this 200 times to improve reliability?

uros.cvetinovic
mikroElektronika team

Re: SpeakUp Click [answers required]

#4 Post by uros.cvetinovic » 02 Jun 2016 15:31

Dear Stephen,

I believe I have answered you on your ticket on this subject.

I said that data rate doesn't affect at all the reliability of the SpeakUp click, but not the SpeakUp click itself.
It needs to be adjusted if you are using SpeakUp click in combination with the PC or MCU.
Cause than you would initialize UART of the PC, or the MCU at same speed as you set in data rate field.

Every time you hit the "Upload project" button, the previously saved commands are erased,
and only commands that you record in that uploading are saved and stored into the click board.

The more commands that are doing the same thing (for example toggle some pin) you save, the greater chance would be for the recognition.

Best regards,

Uros

Return to “SpeakUp Software”