CAN SPI click 3.3V and 5V

General discussion on Libstock website & codes posted on this website.
Author

CAN SPI click 3.3V and 5V

#1 Post by Pluto » 19 Jul 2020 12:36

Hi, I bought a CAN SPI click 3.3V MIKROE-986 card, and I wanted to use it, with my other MIKROE-647 card (which works at 5V).
How does the MIKROE-988 CAN SPI click 5V board differ from the MIKROE-986? R0 aside, connected to pin 5V instead of 3.3V.
The components work in the 2.7V - 5V range and the internal R values are the same.
Why are there two different libraries for the two cards?
244_can_spi_5v_click_v1.0.0.1
245_can_spi_3.3v_click_v1.0.0.1
???
Thank you in advance

hexreader

Re: CAN SPI click 3.3V and 5V

#2 Post by hexreader » 19 Jul 2020 14:21

The boards are the same, just with the jumper in the other position. ... but I think you worked that out already.

Did not check libraries, but I would lay odds on the libstock examples being identical other than commenting, or near identical, based on experience with other click examples.

Mikroe representative will confirm (or possibly correct me) tomorrow after a well earned weekend off.

I reckon either example will probably work with either board, though I have only tried 3.3V example.

Handy hint - be sure to use a common ground connection for all CAN devices. I have burnt a few transceivers by not wiring ground before I learnt. I wish ME would provide a ground connector on their CAN boards (available even if not wanted), but sadly they do not :(
Last edited by hexreader on 19 Jul 2020 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
Start every day with a smile...... (get it over with) :)

Pluto

#3 Post by Pluto » 19 Jul 2020 14:35

Thanks for the suggestion to foresee the connection of ground on the CAN line, I will treasure it and I will certainly insert it in my project. I will wait for the confirmation of the representative Mikroe, but you have fully answered.
Thank you.

hexreader

#4 Post by hexreader » 19 Jul 2020 14:49

And to clarify (or maybe confuse) further on common ground...

A third (ground/common) wire may not be necessary... In a car, chassis common connection is good. On the workbench, mains ground as common connection is good.

Actual third ground/common (does not actually need to be grounded) wire is only needed where one or more devices is floating. Check transceiver datasheet for CMRR specification for definitive (if confusing) information.

Do not ground/common either CAN line (CANH, CANL).
Start every day with a smile...... (get it over with) :)

Pluto

#5 Post by Pluto » 19 Jul 2020 15:36

...sure, and you were very clear. In fact, my project is destined for a test bench where several CAN nodes will be connected, and they will be floating between them. Therefore the third reference wire is good and wise as well as for a common RS232.

Return to “Libstock Discussion”