Not the point of Libstock

General discussion on Libstock website & codes posted on this website.
Author

Not the point of Libstock

#1 Post by PortlandJohn » 24 Nov 2018 00:36

Hi
I have been trying to get the Thunder Click module to work on my EasyPIC PRO v7 board, with no success.
I downloaded a C demo from the Libstock, this was very helpful as I transposed the code into MikroBasic. I still cannot get the unit to work. :(

I have now downloaded a new example for MikroBasic from the new Libstock using Package Manager.
It took me sometime to figure out how to download and install the program but I have it, and it installs and runs on my EasyPIC board.

Having just experienced a thunder and lightning storm very close by, the system still did not respond. Not good. :(

The new Libstock system installs new, additional libraries into my mikroBasic. As i cannot see the code in the new libraries I cannot see what the problem might be .

Also I cannot learn from the example or integrate any of the code snippets into my own programs.

I think the whole point of Libstock is to share code examples so we can all learn and contribute to help each other. And if an example does not work we can make suggestions on how improve the code. If we cannot see the code installed in the "Additional Libraries" there is no point in Libstock as a learning and collaboration tool.

Please keep Libstock as SIMPLE and understandable as possible. We are not all engeneers, some of us are enthusiastic hobby amateurs that appreciate the help of others.

Best regards
John
Never underestimate the value of a reply.

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

Re: Not the point of Libstock

#2 Post by petar.suknjaja » 26 Nov 2018 17:06

Hi John,
Thank you for your opinion.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that you generally criticize the mikroSDK, not the Libstock.
Libstock is just a platform for sharing and it has nothing to do with how the code is written or organized.
Newly integrated Libstock Manager helps you to find and install the packages from mikroElektronika into your compiler.

On the other hand, mikroSDK is helping those enthusiastic hobby amateurs that don't want to learn programming more that they need.
Also, it helps to create a code that is reusable and independent of used hardware platform or MCU architecture.
More about the mikroSDK:
https://download.mikroe.com/documents/m ... l-v100.pdf
https://download.mikroe.com/documents/m ... -paper.pdf

You can always ask MikroElektronika to release the source code for the Click Board
library that is written with the mikroSDK.

Kind regards,
Petar

oliverb

#3 Post by oliverb » 20 Oct 2019 11:46

FWIW I tried package manager and I found it a little bit unclear as to what was being "managed".

I believe the aim is to ensure that files are placed in the correct location, but a "package" manager should do more than that.

It should be able to identify and uninstall files from unwanted packages, and it needs to be clearer what constitutes a "package". Then again this may be down to the author of the package I tried, I haven't tried packaging files myself.

petar.suknjaja
mikroElektronika team

#4 Post by petar.suknjaja » 23 Oct 2019 06:43

Hi,
You can look up the Help section in the Package Manager to get more info about what options does it have.
Kind regards,
Petar

Return to “Libstock Discussion”