PIC32MX clicker board and Mikroprog

General discussion on mikroProg™ programmer and debugger and mikroProg Suite software as well.
Author

PIC32MX clicker board and Mikroprog

#1 Post by jperez » 07 Mar 2023 18:46

Hello,

I am having the exact same issue as viewtopic.php?t=77111

Using-
Clicker2 For Pic32MX hw
Mikroprog Suite v2.90
Mikropog for Pic32 fw v2.11

I am able to flash, erase etc with an ICD3. I bought this mikroprog in order to hardware debug with necto studio. I am using the RFID2 click project and it is running as Im getting UART out.

Any ideas?

filip
mikroElektronika team

Re: PIC32MX clicker board and Mikroprog

#2 Post by filip » 10 Mar 2023 15:20

Hi,

Have you tried ticking the VerChipBurst error in the mikroProg Suite application ?

Regards,
Filip.

jperez

#3 Post by jperez » 17 Mar 2023 11:52

It programs now. The only thing I changed was removing USB power-only wall cable and used a USB from my laptop on the click2 board. I am not able to debug though.
Getting a

'GDB server process error: Process crashed.
GDB server exited with code: -1073741819. Check output for more details.

no details in output though.

jperez

#4 Post by jperez » 21 Mar 2023 14:26

It started working magically now. I do have another issue in necto studio, I debugged in Mikro C Pro. I am not able to debug, getting a:

GDB server process error: Process crashed.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by filip » 23 Mar 2023 14:28

Hi,

Which version of NECTO Studio are you using ?

Regards,
Filip.

drthth

#6 Post by drthth » 18 May 2023 03:28

Hi, I have the same issue with the Mikromedia 5 for PIC32MZ board.

I started only two day ago with NECTO 3.0 and mikroProg Suite 2.9 connected to the Mikromedia 5 board. No Click boards added. I started with a very simple program, only showing some text on the display. I can compile and program the board but nothing happen on the screen.
(The board is definitely working because I have another small program made by my son with MPLABX and if I load the appropriate HEX file I can use the display and the touchscreen without problems. Unfortunately my son is not available to me for the next few weeks because he is in a clinik so I try to make my program myself)
Now I wanted to start debugging but I got the same message:

GDB server process error: Process crashed.

I tried to change to an older laptop with Windows10 but I get the same error. I don't know what to try to get the debug working.

BTW. Is there a working demo programm for NECTO in combination with the Mikromedia 5 available to start with?

drthth

#7 Post by drthth » 29 May 2023 01:53

Update to this problem (unfortunately without improvement).

I started with the use of the mikroprog as an programmer/debugger and got the described error message that the GDB Process crashed. Now I've ordered the new codegrip programmer/debugger. I can program the mikromedia board with a running HEX file and read the MCU but if I use NECTO 3.0.0 to build a simple program (just switch on and show HELLO on the screen) nothing happen and if I start the debug I get the message

"Debugger: Instruction not found for current PC."

Therefore I'm still stuck. I'm using the "mikromedia 5 for PIC32MZ". If I'm using the "mikromedia 5 for STL32" available (sometimes) over planet debug the program starts and show the text on the screen without issue. There must be something very wrong with this board or the NECTO software.

So what can I do? Someone knows a solution? Thanks

filip
mikroElektronika team

#8 Post by filip » 31 May 2023 07:23

Hi,

Can you please attach your NECTO project here so I can try it here with both CODEGRIP and mikroProg ?

Regards,
Filip.

drthth

#9 Post by drthth » 01 Jun 2023 02:15

Hi Filip,
thank you very much.
I attach a ZIP file with the folder created by NECTO on my PC. I added a screenshot with the setup used and two demo.hex files. One I downloaded from my second device (the same Mikromedia 5 board with the PIC32MZ) and the other I found in the Internet.

My steps were:
1. Installing NECTO
2. Installing CODEGRIP
3. Starting a new project with NECTO and the mentioned setup
4. Opening the main_screen.mscr and adding a text box with "hello world"
5. Starting and running the compiler with no errors
6. Flashing the device (Micromedia 5) with no errors
7. Waiting for a reaction on the screen but nothing happen (OK, I stopped to wait after 10 min :-) )
8. Choosing the Mikromedia 5 with STM32F4 over Planet Debug (no change on the code made from my side)
9. Flashing this device
10. On the screen appears the text as written, everything is OK (and I continued to develop my program with no problems other that I can not use the touch screen or other input signals over Planet Debug)

If I want to start the debugger on the Mikromedia with the PIC32MZ or it get stuck (I can only exit or restart, the stop button has no effect) or I can stop and stepping but with the error message mentioned. Therefore no debugging is possible.
I downloaded the demo program from my second unit (demo_new.hex) and flashed it to the first one and the program is running. So the Codegrip unit and the Mikromedia board are working. Unfortunately I can not find the source code for the demo program which is used on the Mikromedia 5 at delivery.
I could find a similar program but is was made for the 4" screen. The HEX (demo_old.hex) file of this program I can upload too and it works partially. There is a problem with the watchdog (every minute there is a reset) and the X and Y coordinates on the screen are swapped. But the source code provided is made with some older software version and I have not the time (and the skills) to convert it to NECTO.

I hope all these informations will help you to reproduce the error and you may be able to help me after. I've ordered in the meantime a Mikromedia 5 with STM32F4 to continue to program and I may get it today but I still have the other two Mikromedia 5 with PIC32MZ which I would like to use.

Thank you and best regards
Attachments
PIC32MZ_test.zip
(4.16 MiB) Downloaded 29 times

drthth

#10 Post by drthth » 03 Jul 2023 03:05

Update:

with the STM32F4 display I could make my program and it is running. Some issues with missing information but I found a workaround.
But the PIC32MZ board can still not be used with NECTO. After programming there is no reaction on the display and the debugger can not be used.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#11 Post by filip » 06 Jul 2023 10:28

Hi,

Have you been able to program the board via mikroProg Suite for PIC directly ?
Regards,
Filip.

drthth

#12 Post by drthth » 10 Jul 2023 04:24

Hi Filip,

yes. The problem is not the hardware. It is the code created by NECTO which is not working at all. Not for the program itself and not for the debugger too. If I use a program written by another application and load the *.hex file to the board the display and the touchscreen are working properly but if I use the *.hex file created by NECTO I can write the code to the board but there is no reaction at all. And if I want to use the debugger functionality of NECTO I get only some kind of crash error messages.

It would be very helpful to have at least a single small "running" demo program including the source code files for the combination of NECTO with the PIC32MZ board.

Best regards
Thomas

Return to “mikroProg™ programmer and debugger”