MikroProg not finding device and has errors

General discussion on mikroProg™ programmer and debugger and mikroProg Suite software as well.
Author

MikroProg not finding device and has errors

#1 Post by chris11jed » 04 Jul 2021 02:22

Hi Mikro Team,

Issues:
  1. MikroProg brings up warning pop-up windows, usually saying it can't find the device (PIC18F87K22 MCU card) (See image below)
  2. MikroProg, when it does find the device, brings up "Code is protected" warning pop-up windows, asking if I wish to continue, which if I choose 'yes/ok' will finish with errors. (Sorry, no screenshot of that, but the 'Finished with Errors' image below is what I mean)
  3. If I try to program with my PCB (Printed Circuit Board) power supply, I get warnings about not being able to lower the programming voltage. (Sorry, no screenshots of that)
  4. If I try to program without my PCB power supply, and opt for MikroProg to power the MCU, the same "Device not found" or errors when finished programming, seem to appear. (See image below)
  5. It's a 50/50 thing, when I don't use the PCB power supply, and opt not to use mikroProg power the MCU, that the MCU will be programmed successfully. But most times it won't program successfully.
Particulars:
  • Windows 10, 64-bit
  • MikroBASIC PRO for PIC V.7.6.0
  • mikroProg Suite for PIC V2.90
  • mikroProg USB device hardware V.1.16.12.21
  • I usually only use PIC18F87K22, or, PIC18F45K22, or, PIC18F46K22, MCU's
PCB specifics:
  • Have followed the mikroProg guide for how the 2x5 pin header works, having used it successfully in the past on professionally made PCB's
  • PCB is made professionally, with full board tests paid for, so no traces short-circuits or faults. Even me doing continuity tests confirm programming lines are correct.
  • PCB power supplies will either operate as +5V, or +3V3
  • Depending upon the PCB, and usually only if the programming works, I can program MikroStore bought MCU's, or SMD chip MCU's soldered onto the board without the PCB power supply (and the mikroProg powering the MCU option unchecked); So that says to me, the PCB and MCU is okay.
The following images are taken from a project where I have soldered the mikroStore bought PIC18F87K22 MCU card onto the professionally made PCB.
The board will be powered by +3V3.
I get there warnings each time I try to program the MCU.
It happens if the PCB is powered or unpowered, and if the mikroProg powers the MCU or not as well.

Can I get some ideas, help, advice, unpon why these warning pop-ups keep appearing please?
  1. First priority is for why the mikroProg can't find the device (in this case the MikroStore bought PIC18F87K22 MCU).
  2. Second priority is why the 'Code is protected' pop-up warning appears if the device seems to be found.
  3. Third priority is what are the different errors. I can not find then listed anywhere, so I have no lead as to what's gone wrong (thus, why I'm here asking for help).
^ "Device Unknown" Message pop-up window

^ "Finished with Errors" Message pop-up window

^ "MikroProg version, and hardware version

Thank you for any and all help.
Chris11jed

chris11jed

Re: MikroProg not finding device and has errors

#2 Post by chris11jed » 05 Jul 2021 09:06

Just to add to this post, I'll post the schematics for the mikroProg port for the MCU (PIC18F87K22) on the PCB I'm having trouble with, both for the +5V and +3V3 MCU's.

^ +3V3 powered PIC18F87K22

^ +5V powered PIC18F87K22

Basically, in all my circuits, I copy how the easyPIC v7 and easyPIC PRO v7 development boards structure the MCLR circuit.
The red box labelled "Prog" is the 2x5 pin-header where I'll slot in the mikroProg.
Pin labels are;
  • VMCU = Vdd connected to the PIC
  • VSUP = PCB voltage supply
  • RX-PGC = Pin 52 on the MCU
  • RX = RB6 (load side)
  • RY-PGD = Pin 47 on the MCU
  • RY = RB7 (load side)
  • MCLR-MCU = trace that goes to 1K resistor before the MCLR/RG5 pin 9 on the MCU
  • SW-MCLR = To the MCLR button (pulled up by 10K resistor to Vdd with 100nF cap to Vss)
  • GND-MCU and GND-BRD = Vss
The switches above the mikroProg port are a 4-way 6-pin DIP switch (because I don't want to use fiddly jumpers :wink: )
These switches are labelled "Bypass" and are in the open state while attempting to program the MCU.

I have again tried to program both PIC18F87K22 MCU's while the PCB is 'dead' or unpowered, both with and without selecting mikroProg Suite 'Power target MCU from programmer' check-box, without success. Again, the device is not found.
I have also tried programming with the PCB powered. Not that it makes any difference I suppose, as the 'Bypass' switch 'VMCU'/'VSUP' switch is in the open state, allowing the mikroProg to access the PCB power.
All attempts result in 'Device not found' (see screenshot in original post above).

Would like to know if there's anything else I'm missing?

Thanks
Chris11jed

MicroMark

#3 Post by MicroMark » 05 Jul 2021 16:45

Hi

R13 and R9 should not be there! All the problems you describe are connections and not software related. Try shorting or jumper R13 R9

chris11jed

#4 Post by chris11jed » 06 Jul 2021 09:35

Hi MicroMark

Thank you for responding! :D

Apart from being a bit embarrassed at the circuit error, for both MCU's, I de-soldered the two resistors, then soldered a bridge in their place.

Unfortunately the same "Device not found" error occurred on both the two MCU's again. :cry:

At least one good thing from your suggestion was finding a simple mistake in my circuit design, which I've made note of for future designs, so thank you for that. :)

But with the MCU-MCLR side now correct, and the same issue occurring, I can't rule out a software problem.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#5 Post by filip » 07 Jul 2021 07:34

Hi,

Can you program any other MCU ?
Please attach the mikroProg Suite configuration bits setting upon programming.

Regards,
Filip.

chris11jed

#6 Post by chris11jed » 07 Jul 2021 09:41

Hi Filip,

Thanks for responding.
Can you program any other MCU ?
I could, until the current two-MCU PCB.

I just tried a smaller single-MCU PCB I use for testing (it has a PIC18F87K22 smd chip I soldered onto it), that I could program only if I disabled the boards power source.

But now, I can't even program that. "Device not found", on this one.

I also had a similar PCB, where I soldered on a smd PIC18F45K22 chip, and again, could program that without board power.
Can't program that one either. Again, "Device not found", on this.

Also tried a hand-made and etched PCB with a PIC18F46K22 on it (DIP chip), and can't program that either. :? "Device not found", on this one too.

Now I'm thinking the actual mikroProg USB device might be broken :shock: because I really should be able to program the other boards (albeit without power, which was a minor issue ...at least I could program them).

...Anyway...
Please attach the mikroProg Suite configuration bits setting upon programming.

Here's the MikroProg suite configuration bits for both MCU's:
The +3V3 powered MCU;

And the +5V powered MCU;

filip
mikroElektronika team

#7 Post by filip » 08 Jul 2021 11:44

Hi,
Now I'm thinking the actual mikroProg USB device might be broken :shock: because I really should be able to program the other boards (albeit without power, which was a minor issue ...at least I could program them).
Yes, it seems this is an issue with the mikroProg device.
Have you tried using other computer/USB cable ?

Regards,
Filip.

chris11jed

#8 Post by chris11jed » 09 Jul 2021 06:49

Have you tried using other computer/USB cable ?

On both accounts, yes.

I have my main computer where I tried reprogramming the other single-MCU pcb's mentioned above (when you asked if other MCU's program correctly).
And I have another computer (where the two-MCU pcb is located) I have tried to use as well.
I can't drag the two-MCU pcb (the board which prompted me to post this originally) to my main computer, to try on that one.
But I have taken the other smaller single MCU pcb's to both computers, and as I said, no dice on the re-programming which is unusual.

Unless there's something else you can think of, I might "bite the bullet", so to speak, on my current mikroProg device, and just get a new one. :roll:
It's been a good little programmer.... a trooper... but alas, its time is done. :cry:

Again, unless there's something you can think of, I really do appreciate your getting back to me filip. 8)
Thank you very much for your time.

filip
mikroElektronika team

#9 Post by filip » 09 Jul 2021 12:55

Hi,

My advice would be to get a new mikroProg device or send the current one for repair (if you have purchase it directly from Mikroe).

Regards,
Filip.

chris11jed

#10 Post by chris11jed » 10 Jul 2021 08:27

I bought a new one from the Store. Seems easier.

Thank you very much for your help and responses filip, much appreciated.

Danieltha954

#11 Post by Danieltha954 » 28 Dec 2023 10:41

Dear mikroElektronika team,
I've a problem that it is not detected the EasyPIC v7 development board by mikroprog suite programmer. I try the best with your suggestion post by reinstalling the software and test again and again. I found that it is not driver error. When I connect the board, the warning message is appeared. Pls, see the below.
Warning message.png
Warning message.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 442 times
and then I check show Device that shows on the tab of the mikroprog suite programmer. USB programmer device is empty. See the picture as follow.
EasyPIC v7 board not detect 1.png
EasyPIC v7 board not detect 1.png (10 KiB) Viewed 442 times
I can’t also update firmware.

I try the another EasyPIC v7 board, it is Ok and running. I found the USB programmer Device when I check it.
Running Normal EasyPIC v7.png
Running Normal EasyPIC v7.png (11.46 KiB) Viewed 442 times
So, I would like to know is it device error? How can I solve it.
Looking forward for your suggestions.

IvanJeremic
mikroElektronika team

#12 Post by IvanJeremic » 29 Dec 2023 08:25

Hi,

I answered you in the forum from the link below:
viewtopic.php?f=192&t=69854&p=317975#p317975

If you have more questions i suggest we continue the conversation there.

Regards,

Ivan.

Return to “mikroProg™ programmer and debugger”