PIC32 Debug env on Easypic Fusion crashes continually

General discussion on mikroProg™ programmer and debugger and mikroProg Suite software as well.
Author

PIC32 Debug env on Easypic Fusion crashes continually

#1 Post by nealet » 29 Nov 2013 13:43

Hi
I have the MicroC dev environment which is driving an EasyPIC Fusion V7 dev board with a PIC32MX795F512L micro on it. I have a year old PC running Win 7. I have been using the board and its environment since March 2013. Sometime things don't work the way I would like them too and I understand that this goes with the territory of development. I write my code, download it, and use the ICD debugger to fix it when does not work. Without the debugger I would be totally Lost.
Having said that I find the ICD debugger very frustrating in that I am continually restarting a crashed debug environment. If I swap to view other documents on my PC or look at my email, or simply load other watch variables in the watch window, it crashed more often. But if I do nothing but single step through a program, sooner or later at no fixed place in the code, the debugger crashes and I have to restart the whole process! It crashes on average once every 5 minutes!
Please can someone direct me as to what I am doing wrong, or log a request for the reliability of the environment to be looked at.
Regards
Nealet

milos.vicentijevic

Re: PIC32 Debug env on Easypic Fusion crashes continually

#3 Post by milos.vicentijevic » 02 Dec 2013 14:25

Hello Nalet,

Please take a look to this post:

http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=164&t=50168

It is probably the same issue.

Best Regards,
Milos Vicentijevic

nealet

#4 Post by nealet » 09 Dec 2013 07:28

Hi
Yes this does look very much like the same thing as the referenced thread. I notice with concern that one of the responses in that thread was from 2009! which is a long time for a bug to exist unresolved. At present my executable fills 63% of of the ROM so it is big. Debugging it can be extremely tedious having to restart using F9 the program every 3 to 4 minutes! What will happen when my code approaches the maximum capacity of the PIC32MX795L512? will the debugger be technically unusable? If so what do I do then?
I really think some kind of solution needs to be found other than work-arounds. Because even the work-arounds suggested in the previous thread, I have been using unwittingly, and they have very little effect in holding off a debugger crash.
Please can this issue be given a high level priority.
Regards
Nealet

nealet

#5 Post by nealet » 13 Jan 2014 07:05

Good day
A happy new year to all and hopefully everyone is fresh for the new year 2014! :)
A request please that this issue takes some priority this year as it really is quite an issue for me. Hopefully someone can give me a "heads up" as to how this issue is to be resolved.
Regards
Nealet :D

marina.petrovic

#6 Post by marina.petrovic » 13 Jan 2014 15:06

Hi,

I only can promise that we will investigate the problem a little bit further and try to solve it as soon as possible.
At this moment, you can use the tips that Dejan suggested.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Happy New Year!
Marina

nealet

#7 Post by nealet » 24 Jun 2015 11:43

Hi Guys
I post this issue again for what its worth. Since not a lot of people seem to have the same issue ( I don't see a lot a comments from others saying how they suffer the same issue) I can only assume that it is only myself that suffers from this. Let me say that I "SUFFER...." from this!
I use the debugger extensively and no matter how big or small my program is, or any of the well meant tips contained in the threads above, MY debugger crashes ALL the flipping time!!
It won't run for longer than 2 or 3 minutes before it freezes up, the screen "Whites out" and the wait wheel starts spinning. To get out I have to, switch OFF the EasyPIC Fusion V7 card that I am using and F9 then F6 to start again.
COME ON GUYS, JUST FOR ME AND MY SANITY....
PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!!
Anyone else reading this and having the same problem, Just say "yes i suffer this too" in a new post, so that ME can get a sense of whether this is just "nealet" issue (i.e do nothing about it), or a real bigger issue with lot more suffers, and so maybe doing something might serve the greater good.
Regards
David
PS. Now that I've had my vent I can go back to my constantly crashing Debugger :)

marina.petrovic

#8 Post by marina.petrovic » 25 Jun 2015 10:06

Hi,

This problem is at this moment in focus of our development team.
I hope that they will manage to find solution very soon and we will have a good news for you and for other users. :)

Solving this problem is for some time on top of our priority, of course because of our user but also because of ourselves.

Best regards,
Marina

nealet

#9 Post by nealet » 25 Jun 2015 10:20

Yeeees!! Thank you so much! I do appreciate those words of encouragement :D I will then await with baited breath for the outcome :) .
Thank you again
Marina and the Mikroelektronika team :D

marina.petrovic

#10 Post by marina.petrovic » 26 Jun 2015 09:05

Hi,

You're welcome.
I hope that we will have good news soon.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

Best regards,
Marina

MicroMike

#11 Post by MicroMike » 30 Jun 2015 01:57

Hi,

I've been battling the same problem. I have a boss who is constantly on my back to get the firmware finished. I'm trying to run a Visual TFT program under the debugger. Most times the debugger won't even start (all controls greyed out). Come in in the morning, and it (might) start, but then refuses again. Hope the fix is imminent. Any update on progress would be well received.

Mike.

nealet

#12 Post by nealet » 30 Jun 2015 08:58

Thanks Mike :D

Dominic75

#13 Post by Dominic75 » 03 Jul 2015 23:58

I have the exact same problem. I just received my EasyPIC fusion TODAY. I just compiled a simple Led blinking project and after 2 minutes MikroC just freeze (not responding) then i have to kill it.

Talk about a first experience...after an hour of fiddling with it, i am already starting to regret my purchase. :?

Never had this problem with my EasyPicPro V7 nor my old BigPIC6...

marina.petrovic

#14 Post by marina.petrovic » 06 Jul 2015 10:23

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear that.
My colleagues at this moment are working on solution for this problem and like I already mentioned, I hope that we will have good news soon.

Thank you for the understanding.

Best regards,
Marina

nealet

#15 Post by nealet » 02 Aug 2016 10:55

Hi All
This problem has been around since 2009!!
If anyone else suffers from the same issue, please just "Post" a reply saying that you too suffer from this continual crashing. This will at least show that its not just me :).
Of course if it is just me who spends his days tearing his hair out from a crash every 30 Secs to 3 minutes (5.4 minutes is my record!), then of course say nothing. Because its pointless fixing a problem that only 1 or two people have.
However the more people who genuinely have this problem, and who say so, may induce someone to have a look at it :).
So come on chaps, if its not just me, make a short post!
Thanks
Nealet :)

Return to “mikroProg™ programmer and debugger”