mikroelectronica ICD hardware not found

General discussion on mikroProg™ programmer and debugger and mikroProg Suite software as well.
Author

mikroelectronica ICD hardware not found

#1 Post by cravenhaven » 21 Jan 2015 13:37

I am unable to get the programmer to work at all in debug mode and it seems to be intermittent in programming mode.
Setup is:
Windows 8.1 PC
New Mikroprog
Test setup on breadboard with PIC32MX220F032B. Minimum connections of power/Ground/programming pins. I also have a single LED connected to pin17 for testing.
Software is MikroC v3.3.1, Mikprog S/w V2.31, Driver V2.00c

The programmer seems to go through the motions correctly when programming but does not always load the program correctly to the PIC.
If I try to build the program with the debug options (ICD debug/mikroICD) everything looks ok until I try to start the debugger. Error message: mikroelectronica ICD hardware not found

I also noticed that I cant set the voltage for the PIC from the mikroc IDE: Tools/mikroprog power options. The dialog box appears but the buttons are grayed out and I cant change the voltage slider or text box. All I can do is close the box with the "X".

I have tried uninstalling all the software and reinstalling/running with admin rights but no effect.

Allan
Attachments
Test cct
Test cct
test.jpg (78.36 KiB) Viewed 6747 times

cravenhaven

Re: mikroelectronica ICD hardware not found

#2 Post by cravenhaven » 22 Jan 2015 05:42

OK, This seems to be a hardware issue with my build. I just tried the portable ICD with my EasyPic Fusion and PC32MX795 and it worked fine.
Question is!, what am I doing wrong?. I've tried changing the ICD header to suit the Mikroprog directly so as to reduce cable problems, shortened all the connections to the PIC, rechecked the circuit many times, but still having no luck.

Any hints? :cry:

cravenhaven

#3 Post by cravenhaven » 22 Jan 2015 07:20

Now I'm not so sure anymore.
I tried the exact same hardware configuration/layout with a Pickit3 and MPLAB and it all works fine.
Can someone please help me work out what it going wrong here?.

Allan

Fab6657

#4 Post by Fab6657 » 23 Jan 2015 08:27

hello Allan,

i experienced contact problems on breadbord sometimes.
Do you use so kind of breadbord ? :

http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http ... CCwQrQMwAQ

Perhaps could be a bad contact ?

You can also try to replace the usb cable, because i have one that run fine
with pickit, but not with mikroProg, perhaps current value to high ?

Kind regards,

Fabrice

cravenhaven

#5 Post by cravenhaven » 23 Jan 2015 12:51

Thanks for the suggestions Fabrice.
I already tried the cct with the Pickit so I think the connections are all fine. I had already reseated all the connections anyway and it had made no difference.
I havent tried with another USB cable but its an idea worth exploring. The cable I used was the one that came with the Mikroprog.

The breadboard I am using is quite different to the one you linked to, but I cant vouch for its quality in any way, but as I said it seems to work fine with the Pickit so I guess it must be connecting ok in this case.

Allan

Fab6657

#6 Post by Fab6657 » 23 Jan 2015 15:28

Hi, ok, fines,

try with a diode between Power and MCLR.
Add a 1N4007 (or 1N4004 what you have in this family)
or a shottky to separate the circuit.

Kind regards

Fabrice

cravenhaven

#7 Post by cravenhaven » 24 Jan 2015 01:21

Thanks for the suggestion Fabrice, but they didnt make any difference. I think the problem is that the Mikroprog just doesnt recognise the MX220 when debugging is requested.

Allan

nemanja.nikolic

#8 Post by nemanja.nikolic » 24 Jan 2015 17:21

Hello,

Please test your mikroProg with some development tools to be sure the problem is in mikroProg.
Attach screen shoots of your mikroProg (as I am) and device menager when mikroProg is inserted.

Nemanja.

Best regards.
Attachments
mikroProgSuite.PNG
mikroProgSuite.PNG (80.07 KiB) Viewed 6685 times

cravenhaven

#9 Post by cravenhaven » 24 Jan 2015 23:37

Mikroprog screenshot as requested just after programming test setup.

Also device manager showing Mikroprog details

Allan
mikroprog_screenshot2.jpg
mikroprog_screenshot2.jpg (329.54 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
Mikroprog device manager.jpg
Mikroprog device manager.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 6682 times

nemanja.nikolic

#10 Post by nemanja.nikolic » 26 Jan 2015 10:17

Hello,

Sorry, your MCU isn't supported with our ICD.
We work on that. I hope it will be improve in next release of mikroProg Suite.

Nemanja.

Best regards.

cravenhaven

#11 Post by cravenhaven » 26 Jan 2015 10:27

According to Filip this MCU IS supported by Mikroprog and his confirmation of support is the very reason I went ahead and bought the Mikroprog ICD.
This is the link to the QA regarding support: http://www.mikroe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=192&t=61959

regards
Allan

nemanja.nikolic

#12 Post by nemanja.nikolic » 26 Jan 2015 16:11

Hello,

Sorry for that mistake. Unfortunately, your MCU is supported with mikroProg and you can program, but you can't debug.
We will do our best to improve that in next release.

Nemanja.

Best regards.

cravenhaven

#13 Post by cravenhaven » 26 Jan 2015 22:22

nemanja.nikolic wrote:Hello,

Sorry for that mistake. Unfortunately, your MCU is supported with mikroProg and you can program, but you can't debug.
We will do our best to improve that in next release.

Nemanja.

Best regards.
So you are saying that Filip LIED about ICD support for the PIC32mx1xx/2xx devices when I asked about its use for development purposes for these chips.
I am very angry that I have been lead down a path where capability was implied and actually confirmed so that I should waste time effort and money for no purpose.

When is this NEXT release ?. I noted that the driver for this device is already 5 years old and the firmware version 3 years old.

Allan

filip
mikroElektronika team

#14 Post by filip » 27 Jan 2015 09:40

Hi,
So you are saying that Filip LIED about ICD support for the PIC32mx1xx/2xx devices when I asked about its use for development purposes for these chips.
I am very angry that I have been lead down a path where capability was implied and actually confirmed so that I should waste time effort and money for no purpose.
I am very sorry if I haven't been very clear in my post, I have there written a list of the 1xx and 2xx MCUs that are supported by the mikroProg,
but the PIC32MX220F032B debugging is not supported at the moment.

I apologize if I have mislead you in any way, I wasn't doing it on purpose, I have just misinterpreted your original question.
When is this NEXT release ?. I noted that the driver for this device is already 5 years old and the firmware version 3 years old.
Our developers are working on this, it should be announced soon, but I don't have precise date yet.

Again, I am very sorry for this.

Regards,
Filip.

Return to “mikroProg™ programmer and debugger”